Coaches that teach how not to play basketball

I'm sorry but this is a rant against coaches that don't teach basketball, but coaches that teach how to play against basketball Boehiem b!~!!! doesn't teach basketball but how to keep good basketball from happening! I put him in the same category as the *^%@#$&^*%# that taught the idiot 4 corner offense!  Sorry I'm just p*&#*(&!$^ THAT an *!&$^!#)(*& like Boehiem get's the credit he does!!

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I'm sorry but this is a rant against coaches that don't teach basketball, but coaches that teach how to play against basketball Boehiem b!~!!! doesn't teach basketball but how to keep good basketball from happening! I put him in the same category as the *^%@#$&^*%# that taught the idiot 4 corner offense!  Sorry I'm just p*&#*(&!$^ THAT an *!&$^!#)(*& like Boehiem get's the credit he does!!

You play to win the game and if you have to do it that way then I am fine with it.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You play to win the game and if you have to do it that way then I am fine with it.

I'm sorry but I put Boehiem in the category of I can't beat you playing basketball so I'll beat you some other way! As a basketball fan I have absolutely NO respect for his game!!

Just now, Drroogh said:

I'm sorry but I put Boehiem in the category of I can't beat you playing basketball so I'll beat you some other way! As a basketball fan I have absolutely NO respect for his game!!1

Well that has worked pretty well for him since he is like 3rd on the all time wins list.  He might be like that now but in the late 80's and 90's they did not play this style but he adapted which is what good coaches do.

I thought MSU settled for too many perimeter shots. I know it’s easy to sit in my easy chair and see what should be done but sparty appeared to miss many opportunities to get the ball into the middle and force the zone to collapse for easier shots. 

You missed my reference to a hall of fame coach Dean Smith, his 4 corner offense was one of the worst things to ever happen in pure basketball!! If you can't beat your opponent by playing basketball and have to resort to not playing basketball, I don't care how successful you are, I consider it lame coaching!! 

2 minutes ago, HR4IU said:

I thought MSU settled for too many perimeter shots. I know it’s easy to sit in my easy chair and see what should be done but sparty appeared to miss many opportunities to get the ball into the middle and force the zone to collapse for easier shots. 

Considering MSU, I kept b!$# they needed to stop Battle, they never did. So the loss is on MSU as far as I'm concerned, but I'm still against coaches like B&*^% as being destructive to basketball!

Not sure where the complaint is here. 

If you are complaining about the defense , he has played his 2-3 zone for a long time. He recruits long, quick kids who have played it well over the years. 

Just like anything in sports... Alabama or New England in football, as examples... if you don't like them, then get better and beat them.

I don't care for Boeheim because he is a major whiner. But he has developed a strategy that works for him. Nothing wrong with that 

I love every time MSU loses.

That said, Syracuse has no business in the Sweet 16...they probably had no business in the tournament.  But they play a style that's extremely difficult to prepare for. No one can run the zone like they do, if you can actually simulate that zone even remotely close to the way they play it, then you would probably implement it for your own team. 

1 minute ago, BoomBaby said:

I just wonder if there will be people on Michigan State boards five years after the fact STILL boring everyone else by saying for the thousandth time how Tom Izzo is a terrible coach who hasn't the faintest idea how to attack a zone.

BOOM!

8 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

I just wonder if there will be people on Michigan State boards five years after the fact STILL boring everyone else by saying for the thousandth time how Tom Izzo is a terrible coach who hasn't the faintest idea how to attack a zone.

Again, you must have watched a different game than I did. Sparty attacked the zone well enough to win the game. Shots just weren't falling.

Not like he had his center driving the middle of the zone and either getting his shot blocked or turning it over

54 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

Probably not bc some are calling for him to retire. 

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I'll put it in the category of I enjoy watching basketball, I hate watching Syracuse basketball and leave it at that! Edit, I have no idea how Syracuse fans enjoy basketball?

I assume you did not like watching the Princeton style of offense where they worked for a good shot on every possession.   Also there are a lot of different ways of playing basketball and you play the way that best helps you win the game.  Like I said were you old enough to see Syracuse in the 80's and 90's because they were an up tempo offense and they did not play zone defenses back then.  Watch the 87 championship game you would see them playing man to man defense and had multiple offensive threats.

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

You missed my reference to a hall of fame coach Dean Smith, his 4 corner offense was one of the worst things to ever happen in pure basketball!! If you can't beat your opponent by playing basketball and have to resort to not playing basketball, I don't care how successful you are, I consider it lame coaching!! 

So I thought coaching doing what ever it takes within the rules to give your team the best chance to win. I guess I wasted 20 years of my life then.

I just don’t see your argument Droogh.  You do whatever it takes (within the rules) to win the game. Similar to the packline defense, the 2-3 is designed to make people shoot contested jump shots and three pointers.  When their zone is working well, it does exactly just that and is really a thing of beauty.  It’s very effective with how they run it and don’t see it being “cheap”.  The reason people complain about it is because they haven’t/can’t beat it.

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I love this post!

I totally.diasagree with your take on the issue. But give me this passion all day!!

:cheers:

Speaking of passion.  I wish I could copy the heart the young man Maura from UMBC plays with and give it to every one of our players!  Just LOVED watching a 5-7 140# PG playing his heart out tonight and against UVA.  His play embodies everything I enjoy about watching the NCAAT.  Too bad his team did not advance.  Also thought their coach showed a lot of class as well.

Archived