Coaches that teach how not to play basketball

13 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Just once, I would love to see a team make the Syracuse zone look silly!  Imagine it would expose Boehiem as COMPLETLY unable to make the adjustments!  In fact, I would think it exposes something different!

Indiana-1987??? Didn't we score 74 points and Keith Smart tore it up in the 2nd half.

It's the unfamiliarity of the zone. Syracuse's best bet in the tournament is to get matched against teams that aren't in their division and/or teams they haven't played recently. 

In Crean and Izzo's defense, it's hard to simulate a Syracuse zone in practice; game experience is really the best thing that can prepare you for this. On top of that, Izzo only had 2 days to prepare for it. MSU appeared to be doing the right things but they were clearly uncomfortable and a little tentative which probably led to the bad shooting performance. Sound familiar? In our S16 against Syracuse, we were getting into the middle of the zone, but from what I remember Cody was always hesitant, took a little too long to make a decision, players weren't cutting when they need to and it became a disaster. 

Of all the bad things on Crean's resume, that Syracuse loss didn't rank high for me. It was a bad match up at a bad time. Our short guards struggled against their length. Hulls was shooting bad because of a nagging injury (0-5 from three). Cody wasn't himself that game (30% fg% - even though half the time he got hacked). A recipe for disaster. 

Well, based on this year's tournament results so far, when it comes to March, a great defense is the equalizer.  Look at Syracuse beating MSU, Florida State knocking off Xavier, Mariland Baltimore taking out Virginia (another defensive minded team), and some of the others.  Archie teaches defense.  He should use the Fla  State game yesterday as a clinic on how tenacious defense can take down a better opponent.  Now, get some decent shooters and a flowing offense along with some rebounding to add to your great defense and you have a recipe for a winner.  I truly believe that this is the way to go.  With a really good defense, you can stay in every game whether you are on offensively or not.  It doesn't to so much good to score 80 and give up 85.  But if you are giving up under 70 on average you should be in every game and win most of them.

Archived