Izzo-Crean

14 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

After watching MSU today, I can see where Crean learned how to attack a zone defense.  It was a pathetic display.  I know Cuse plays a different type of zone with their length but man that was tough to watch!  I was cheering for the refs in this game.......

So tell us how you attack Cuse's zone?  Sparty got shots, they just weren't going in.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

So tell us how you attack Cuse's zone?  Sparty got shots, they just weren't going in.

The team they played in the first round, the coach gave them the green light to shoot all the deep 3s they wanted, and it almost worked, but the team just wasn't very good.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Sparta got shots??  First of all I would’ve put Bridges in the middle and watch the zone collapse then kick it out to shooters.  Secondly the ball doesn’t need to be beaten into the court via dribble like they did yesterday.  It was pathetic display of coaching.  Watch what Duke does, I bet Badgley is in the middle where he can take the shot or find an open teammate.

I agree. Syracuse can definitely cause even the best teams major problems with that zone but Michigan St did not look prepared at all. And no meaningful adjustments were made. It seems like not many coaches now days will ever change their style to fit the situation (see Virginia).

One thing CAM showed this year is a strong game against zones, and particularly with Morgan in the middle of the zone. Cuse's match-up zone causes many teams fits, it's a really well run match up zone and has been for years, with players with length and with great execution coming from years of development. That said, I'd look forward to an IU-Cuse game now assuming good recruiting by CAM.

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

One thing CAM showed this year is a strong game against zones, and particularly with Morgan in the middle of the zone. Cuse's match-up zone causes many teams fits, it's a really well run match up zone and has been for years, with players with length and with great execution coming from years of development. That said, I'd look forward to an IU-Cuse game now assuming good recruiting by CAM.

I thought Smith showed some really good flashes in the middle of the zone as well this year.  Our offensive game plan against a zone was definitely one of the biggest improvements I noticed this year.  Should serve us well in tournament play.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I thought Smith showed some really good flashes in the middle of the zone as well this year.  Our offensive game plan against a zone was definitely one of the biggest improvements I noticed this year.  Should serve us well in tournament play.

Definitely, I am high on Smith for sure, and that includes some of what he showed in the zone

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Particularly when Hartman was healthy...he and Morgan attacked the zone well together and Josh Smith got way more comfortable there too...add a shooter to that attack and they will be set.

Archived