Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam Vecenie from the Athletic is a great guy and has an extremely enthusiastic basketball podcast (“Game Theory”).   He gets into high level minutiae about the sport.  Since it’s in podcast format, he will do a deep dive into evaluations without any time limit.  On of his frequent guests is Cole Zwicker. 

I was listening a couple of weeks ago and they liked Romeo but had some negative comments.  At that time, Romeo was struggling with his shot. They also seemed to agree that Romeo had trouble separating for himself.  

I have to say that I bet Sam takes that back. I think Romeo is brilliant at separating for himself.  I’m very curious if Romeo starts hitting the jumper consistently the rest of the way.

With his long arms and quickness, he has the ability to really defend.  He’s got a great frame and will get stronger.  He has an elite mindset.  And I strongly believe character matters.  This kid has it.  If he develops consistent shooting range (and I wouldn’t bet against that with a teenager) when all is said and done, there may be nobody in this class who becomes a better two way player.  

Maybe it's just the pro Romeo homer in me but I see a kid who is gaining confidence each and every game....just now starting to scratch the surface on what he now knows he can do in this conference. The shot will continue to fall and very few (if any) can guard him 1 on one when he drives. Only will get better once RP gets back health wise or if JS can knock down the open midrange shot. If those things happen wouldn't surprise if Romeo has a game in the not so distant future where he has a dozen assists in a game.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe it's just the pro Romeo homer in me but I see a kid who is gaining confidence each and every game....just now starting to scratch the surface on what he now knows he can do in this conference. The shot will continue to fall and very few (if any) can guard him 1 on one when he drives. Only will get better once RP gets back health wise or if JS can knock down the open midrange shot. If those things happen wouldn't surprise if Romeo has a game in the not so distant future where he has a dozen assists in a game.

Agreed on Romeo. We could also be on the cusp of having four really good players in Romeo, Juwan, Rob and JS...probably in that order. We know we already have two stars, but if we can keep expanding our options that will do us wonders. Throw in Al, Devonte and DD that's a solid core 7. Maybe an eighth can emerge as a role player too...I think Mcrob can be that guy for us again at some point. 

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have said many times since first seeing him in middle school.  This kid is different in a great way. I believe not only can he be an NBA all star I think he will be in the MVP discussion first a big portion of his career. Not saying he is the next Kobe but he could be

Character-wise, he's way better than Kobe right now.  I hope he stays that way.

27 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He needs to be more selfish as Kobe always was.  That's his only real fault IMO.  I want to see him look at Devonte and say "give me the damn ball".

I don't mind him being more selfish on the court as long as he leaves the housekeepers alone when he stays at motels.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't mind him being more selfish on the court as long as he leaves the housekeepers alone when he stays at motels.

Not exactly a motel. But an exclusive 4 Star Mountain Resort in Edwards, Colorado. West of Vail. Overlooking the Vail Valley. Not as exclusive as Aspen.  Not that shabby, either.

However, I do get your point.

c620x376.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love Romeo Langford, EXCEPT his shooting techniqe. I have seen some great shooters with his technique but not many. He is what I call a slinger. He does it on free throws and jump shots.

He takes the ball behind his forehead on top of his head, then slings the ball toward the basket.  He probably started doing this when he was small and lacked the strength to shoot properly.

If anyone knows how to contact Romeo, please tell him as soon as the season is over, watch Stef Curry videos and change his shot! He has the talent to be one of the games best, but is going to have to change his shot to reach that goal.

Here is a link to Curry shooting technique.   https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvc8lN6KEA0

I’m a slinger now.  I grew up with a more conventional shot. Though I had a problem with my left hand taking spin off the ball that my right was putting on it.  Then Bracey Wright come along and I decide to try his form. Jordan Hulls and  Eric Gordon have something similar,  but their ball goes in. I’m very streaky with my shot. Some days I’m on fire and others I can’t hit . It’s hard to be consistent when you sling.  

Edit Gordon has more of a push in his shot than the other guys,   I always tried to mimic him but ended up throwing instead of pushing 

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’m a slinger now.  I grew up with a more conventional shot. Though I had a problem with my left hand taking spin off the ball that my right was putting on it.  Then Bracey Wright come along and I decide to try his form. Jordan Hulls and  Eric Gordon have something similar,  but their ball goes in. I’m very streaky with my shot. Some days I’m on fire and others I can’t hit . 

Want to sling?

Image result for we are slingers

I think it’s a maturity thing... his shot selection needs to improve more than his technique, in my opinion. Whenever he can step into a midrange jumper, he seems to be able to knock those down with regularity. When he’s off balance, that percentage drops considerably. I think Romeo tends to force shots and feels obligated to get himself going instead of making the extra pass, or cutting to the basket more. I’m not saying that he’s selfish, rather that he seems to be putting too much pressure on himself. Whatever the case, I think he needs to let the game come to him and that can be attributed maturity. He’s unquestionably a phenomenal player and we’re truly fortunate to have him at IU, but I’d like to see him create more and become more of a playmaker. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Needs to stay 2 years in college

That's certainly a reasonable perspective from a college basketball fan.  However, if you're Romeo and the ultimate goal is the nba, then you might not agree.  This debate has been discussed numerous times over the years regarding one year players with lottery pick potential.  And who knows, maybe Romeo puts his name into the draft to check out what the nba thinks and the feedback he gets is stay in school.  I suppose that could happen.

Sad thing that perhaps one of the best and most decorated HS players in Indiana basketball history may have one of the most meaningless collegiate careers of all. He will be a one line footnote in the History of IU basketball. Sad for him and sad for IU basketball that we couldn’t accomplish more together and that Romeo will never even get a taste of March Madness.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sad thing that perhaps one of the best and most decorated HS players in Indiana basketball history may have one of the most meaningless collegiate careers of all. He will be a one line footnote in the History of IU basketball. Sad for him and sad for IU basketball that we couldn’t accomplish more together and that Romeo will never even get a taste of March Madness.

You can almost tell from his body language that this is not turning out to be anything close to what he had hoped or expected.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

You can almost tell from his body language that this is not turning out to be anything close to what he had hoped or expected.  

Considering his childhood favorite team is ranked 15th in the country and on their way to the tournament...I can see why.

That moment you realize you choose the wrong lane on the interstate and you are going to be stuck miserably in traffic for hours...that’s the look I see with Romeo.

Archived