Romeo Langford

I'll respond to 2 topics discussed above.  First, trust me when I say Romeo is not the cancer.  He woulduch rather score 12 and win than 20 and lose.  Heck, earlier in the year people complained he wasn't selfish enough.

As far as one and dones, I am perfectly okay if we don't recruit them. You can build a championship team without them.  And, experienced teams that know each other are fun teams to watch.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Right, if he can coach one and done type players fire him now.

Of course not.  We just have to hope that he can adjust to coaching players with the level of talent needed to consistently compete at the highest level before it’s too late.  We’ll have a pretty good idea of whether he can in a couple years.

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll respond to 2 topics discussed above.  First, trust me when I say Romeo is not the cancer.  He woulduch rather score 12 and win than 20 and lose.  Heck, earlier in the year people complained he wasn't selfish enough.

As far as one and dones, I am perfectly okay if we don't recruit them. You can build a championship team without them.  And, experienced teams that know each other are fun teams to watch.

If a kid is the top talent in Indiana and he looks like a one and done, you know, like Romeo, does anyone really think he won’t recruit him? I mean, really? 

I don't think building a program with the idea of one and dones being a vital part of your strategy would work.  UK and Duke are the rare examples and since Coach K decided to go after the one and dones, UK's success going this route has declined dramatically.  Unless you get the the quality and number of these top tier players that Duke, and UK prior to them, get than you are just not going to be that good or consistent from year to year.  Stay away from the top 10-15 ranked players and target the 15-100+.  Of course any strategy will always have exceptions, but I think having this philosophy will lead to greater stability and overall quality.

22 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He won’t recruit the obvious one and dones.  There..... 🤦‍♂️

Archie and his staff will continue to go after the best talent.  Romeo is not the problem with this team.  If anything he is to unselfish.  He is the one kid who looks the coaches in the eye, plays a ton of minutes, rebounds, trys to facilitate it, etc.

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Archie and his staff will continue to go after the best talent.  Romeo is not the problem with this team.  If anything he is to unselfish.  He is the one kid who looks the coaches in the eye, plays a ton of minutes, rebounds, trys to facilitate it, etc.

Ok.......LOL

28 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If a kid is the top talent in Indiana and he looks like a one and done, you know, like Romeo, does anyone really think he won’t recruit him? I mean, really? 

I didn't say that.  What I said would be I am okay if he doesn't, especially, if he can get the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th player in the class nd they stay for 3-4 years,

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Ok.......LOL

For sake of discussion, why would you say that?  Without going into specifics, I will state obvious observations that any fan can make.

1) The same kids who were winning, close games, are still the same kids getting playing time.  Big Ten kids are exposing them.  Part is a lack of size.  Davis getting less time is challenging the rotation.  

2) Back to one point guard.  When and If Green comea back that will help.  Green was on the bench the other day.

3)The paid experts on the Big Ten Network speak highly of Romeo, Morgan, Al.  Much of their info comes from the coaching staff and their observations.  

4) This team needs depth, period.  Foul trouble is taking Romeo and Morgan out of rhythm.  Everyone monsters them up.

5) A big reason for our 2019 recruits: Romeo.  

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This plus the fact it helped with building a bond with in state coaches.  Not saying much more on this. Yet....

Right, so I guess that triggers this question.... How has Romeo not been a positive for this team and the future of the program.  An earlier post, unless I read it wrong, it seemed as if you were advocating he has been a problem.

Romeo has been a positive spokesman and a hard worker.  He has made freshman mistakes.  This team lacks a down and dirty player who a little athletic ability.  Romeo and Morgan need to be your go to.  Others need to fill a role, until there time comes.  

52 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Right, so I guess that triggers this question.... How has Romeo not been a positive for this team and the future of the program.  An earlier post, unless I read it wrong, it seemed as if you were advocating he has been a problem.

Romeo has been a positive spokesman and a hard worker.  He has made freshman mistakes.  This team lacks a down and dirty player who a little athletic ability.  Romeo and Morgan need to be your go to.  Others need to fill a role, until there time comes.  

Maybe it's not Romeo but the rest of the team.  It could be a Lebron Kyrie situation where Romeo is Lebron and the rest of the team or most of them are Kyrie.  Maybe it's just not a good fit.  Maybe a lot of jealousy and they just don't like playing with him even though he's a good dude.  Total speculation.

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Maybe it's not Romeo but the rest of the team.  It could be a Lebron Kyrie situation where Romeo is Lebron and the rest of the team or most of them are Kyrie.  Maybe it's just not a good fit.  Maybe a lot of jealousy and they just don't like playing with him even though he's a good dude.  Total speculation.

Same thinh happened with Gordon and Sampson was able to bring the group together.  Dont know if this is happening.  I think it is depth, injuries and counting on some guys that just cant play.  

I do not know anyone who is directly associated with the basketball team but I do have a friend who is a female athlete. She crosses paths with the team and has told me some things that some of you may or may not believe. 

A cancer doesn't just exist in the locker room and I do not believe that it has as much to do with basketball as it does personalities. Our team has 3 clicks that do not get along. Our issue isnt on the court or in practice it is the fact that there are people who dont want to be around each other, let alone play as a team. 

If you watch the games pay attention to certain players who do not talk and will not share the ball with each other. Justin does not like or get along with romeo. I think everyone has noticed this and keeps putting the blame on justin. We dont know what archie told justin when he convinced him to stay at iu. We dont know what archie told romeo to get him to iu. They both want to be the man and are struggling to coexist. If that was our only issue it would be one thing but it goes deeper. Those wanting a leader to step up won't get it because the clicks. 

48 minutes ago, Riverrat said:

I do not know anyone who is directly associated with the basketball team but I do have a friend who is a female athlete. She crosses paths with the team and has told me some things that some of you may or may not believe. 

A cancer doesn't just exist in the locker room and I do not believe that it has as much to do with basketball as it does personalities. Our team has 3 clicks that do not get along. Our issue isnt on the court or in practice it is the fact that there are people who dont want to be around each other, let alone play as a team. 

If you watch the games pay attention to certain players who do not talk and will not share the ball with each other. Justin does not like or get along with romeo. I think everyone has noticed this and keeps putting the blame on justin. We dont know what archie told justin when he convinced him to stay at iu. We dont know what archie told romeo to get him to iu. They both want to be the man and are struggling to coexist. If that was our only issue it would be one thing but it goes deeper. Those wanting a leader to step up won't get it because the clicks. 

So are you saying that Romeo coming to IU is to blame for the teams struggles?

5 hours ago, IUskim said:

So are you saying that Romeo coming to IU is to blame for the teams struggles?

I do not believe anyone is saying that.

Moderators, I appreciate everything you do.  I have a sizeable request.

To keep us from pinning 'chemistry' issues on Romeo or preventing the appearance of such, or pinning them on any individual, can all discussion thereof be moved to the 'Internal issues or nah?' thread?

Likewise, I am not taking issue with anyone posting 'internal issues' in this thread.  I just want to separate players from blame as much as I want to separate blame of fans on an individual.

If this post is off base or other wise out of place, feel free to delete.

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think we see things differently 

Well, duh! 

If you saw the exact same thing,  then that means one of you has demonically possessed the body of the other.   If that happened,  we would be forced to  enlist the help of 

Image result for buffy the vampire slayer images

10 hours ago, Riverrat said:

The problem is Smith is awful. As much as his pops thinks he's the next Kobe Bryant...he's not. 

Archived