Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He's not. Don't believe the chatter.

Curious. You follow the draft boards more than I would, but why do you believe so strongly that the draft board 5fouls linked to is so off? Just seems weird sites would be that off from reality. They must be talking with some experts in determining that draft slot, correct?

12 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Curious. You follow the draft boards more than I would, but why do you believe so strongly that the draft board 5fouls linked to is so off? Just seems weird sites would be that off from reality. They must be talking with some experts in determining that draft slot, correct?

There are multiple draft boards/projections, nba draft board is not one of the best, and regardless those boards do not reflect what nba managers/their scouts are basing their own projections on. Scouts of NBA teams often attend games, and practice sessions. The scouts don't change their projections by 10-20 slots over the course of a month. If you buy into that, I've got that bridge in Brooklyn that's been on the market .... Where Romeo is picked in the draft, if he goes/stays in, will turn on what teams are selecting, and on how Romeo's strengths -- natural scorer (off pull ups, midrange, step backs, good form, under pressure, on the drive to the rim, good handle, range to the arc is improving) versatile, with length, improving defense and works hard on both ends, fluid, etc. -- weigh against his weaknesses (not currently a consistent threat from deep, turns it over more than he should when splitting defenders/pressing, free throw averages need to improve, unselfish -- a good thing -- but sometimes too unselfish / learning when to take over, etc.). As of mid-January many "draft projections' had him top 5. You think he falls to mid-to-late 20s on a few games? Nope. Scouts are regularly following IU games and practices. Romeo's value is high, just depends on who is drafting and what they're looking for (or trading for).

His stock is falling, Buddy of mine works for the Pacers and we talked about him for a while. (Before the MSU game). NBA teams love his measurements but his lack of shooting in the now 3 point hungry league is a major scare to several early picking teams.  Also they’ve noticed his lack of defensive effort. He will not fall out of the first round but wouldn’t be surprised if he was picked between 12-20 now.  Still a lot of season left however.

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

His stock is falling, Buddy of mine works for the Pacers and we talked about him for a while. (Before the MSU game). NBA teams love his measurements but his lack of shooting in the now 3 point hungry league is a major scare to several early picking teams.  Also they’ve noticed his lack of defensive effort. He will not fall out of the first round but wouldn’t be surprised if he was picked between 12-20 now.  Still a lot of season left however.

Any chance he comes back next year if that is the case?

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I guess the question is, could the math ever say that you are better off going back to college and playing your way into the top 5 or 10?  I know the money drops considerably as you move down in the first round, but I'm not sure that you could ever gain back that lost year.

3 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

Any chance he comes back next year if that is the case?

I doubt it. Most nba teams draft on potential anyway and the majority of the draft “experts” have him anywhere from 5-10 I have no idea why this board has him all the way down at 26. There is no way he falls down that far that board had to have him low to begin with I have not seen any draft boards with him that low even after his bad stretch of games. 

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I guess the question is, could the math ever say that you are better off going back to college and playing your way into the top 5 or 10?  I know the money drops considerably as you move down in the first round, but I'm not sure that you could ever gain back that lost year.

Well I guess it’s a matter of getting good enough that the league doesn’t give up on you. Or you are able to be able to contribute before rookie contract is up. 

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well I guess it’s a matter of getting good enough that the league doesn’t give up on you. Or you are able to be able to contribute before rookie contract is up. 

skim is right re the scouts / potential. There's no way he's falling that far. All the scouts see his fluid scoring and length and poise and size etc. Now Fouls is on record, apparently with a reason to be, as saying he may want to come back regardless. Don't want to get ahead of things, just want to see him help us get into March, but March-May is going to be a time of questions.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Tim Duncan, Chris Webber.........just off the top of my head.  Heck, you could easily put Calbert into that.

15 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

skim is right re the scouts / potential. There's no way he's falling that far. All the scouts see his fluid scoring and length and poise and size etc. Now Fouls is on record, apparently with a reason to be, as saying he may want to come back regardless. Don't want to get ahead of things, just want to see him help us get into March, but March-May is going to be a time of questions.

I really don't know if his draft stock is falling as much as other guys out there are rising.

Guys, let’s just be honest and admit that many of us had unrealistic expectations for Romeo. If he wants to come back, fine. But the reason won’t be because he isn’t good enough to cut the mustard. That’s absurd. Does he lack a consistent perimeter shot? Sure, but that will only get better with time. There are flaws in his game, but let’s not fool ourselves into thinking that he isn’t ready. If he didn’t have to go to school for one season, he likely gets drafted top ten anyway. In my opinion, if he chooses to leave early, he gets drafted no later than 10th. Again, I’m just going by what the NBA drafts on and there’s a lot more to like, than not like. 

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think Jonathan Givony (formerly of DraftExpress, now with ESPN) does one of the more accurate mocks.  He has Romeo going at #6 in his mock right now, one pick ahead of Darius Garland.

He’s good but usually isn’t very accurate with the foreign players abilities.  

9 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Guys, let’s just be honest and admit that many of us had unrealistic expectations for Romeo. If he wants to come back, fine. But the reason won’t be because he isn’t good enough to cut the mustard. That’s absurd. Does he lack a consistent perimeter shot? Sure, but that will only get better with time. There are flaws in his game, but let’s not fool ourselves into thinking that he isn’t ready. If he didn’t have to go to school for one season, he likely gets drafted top ten anyway. In my opinion, if he chooses to leave early, he gets drafted no later than 10th. Again, I’m just going by what the NBA drafts on and there’s a lot more to like, than not like. 

My concern with this mindset is that if a player is chosen as a lottery pick, he's going to a team that needs production.  If a player chosen that high doesn't get minutes because he's not ready there will be chatter of being a "bust".  If the team plays him and he doesn't produce, the fans and media will not be content to endure an extended learning curve.  The money is there, but he'd better be prepared to produce or face critcism.  Depending on the market, the recent "negativity" around our team could seem like nothing.

I think the decision is far from made at this moment. I'm sure Romeo and those in his camp are aware of his current 'draft status' and won't worry about it until later.  Let's remember how long it took for them to close on his college choice. Do we really think they will be haphazard with his pro future?  Why wouldn't he do want most others do, go through the NBA evaluations (like JM did), THEN they can make the best decision about his future knowing a lot more information. Even more info about next years IU team.  To think he's a lock currently as a top 5 pick means there are not 4 other players out there currently playing better with equal or better 'potential'..I just don't see that, heck, Duke has 3 alone! I love him to death and would be thrilled if he came back. I just think that decision is still WIDE open. Even more open than before this season started.

Just my opinions. I hope he's back, but if he's a high pick, money talks.

Is there a chance this decision is what Brooks is waiting on?

Archived