Romeo Langford

I've been saying for a while now......"Romeo's got work to do."

The question remains.  Will he be doing it, while getting paid, or improving his game and draft position by staying at IU, for at least one more year ?

My magic 8 ball, says the answer is........CANNOT PREDICT NOW.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I've been saying for a while now......"Romeo's got work to do."

The question remains.  Will he be doing it, while getting paid, or improving his game and draft position by staying at IU, for at least one more year ?

My magic 8 ball, says the answer is........CANNOT PREDICT NOW.

Me thinks that was a cop out! lol

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/02/07/indiana-basketball-nba-prospect-romeo-langford-should-stay/2766497002/

Some pretty harsh comments here from an NBA scout... But I disagree with the premise.  I don’t think it’s likely that Romeo would improve his stock much by coming back next year.  Donovan Mitchell comparison is also dumb.

5 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/02/07/indiana-basketball-nba-prospect-romeo-langford-should-stay/2766497002/

Some pretty harsh comments here from an NBA scout... But I disagree with the premise.  I don’t think it’s likely that Romeo would improve his stock much by coming back next year.  Donovan Mitchell comparison is also dumb.

The Donovan Mitchell comparison isn't dumb, particularly since it's a journalist from Louisville writing the story.  It doesn't mean they are similar players, rather simply points out a player that stayed in college a second year and had it work to his advantage.  

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Donovan Mitchell comparison isn't dumb, particularly since it's a journalist from Louisville writing the story.  It doesn't mean they are similar players, rather simply points out a player that stayed in college a second year and had it work to his advantage.  

Yeah... He stayed in college a second year because he wasn’t good his freshman year and there was no chance he would’ve been drafted at all.  His draft stock had nowhere to go but up.  Not remotely similar to Romeo’s situation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 10:19 AM, FW_Hoosier said:

Kenpom's comp's for Romeo('s season):

Bill Walker 2008

Miles Bridges 2017

DeAndre Bembry 2014

Lance Stephenson 2010

Tobias Harris 2011

Interesting list.

What's a buddy on the Pacers suppose to say?  They won't be anywhere near close enough to have the draft pick to land him..  Did this this pacer draft guru have any comments about the 10 players who are rising up the draft boards to pass Romeo. This isn't the most stellar of drafts and when Garland is sitting out all year and still listed as lotto pick in places, that kind of confirms it. 

Giovany is the best in the media when it comes to analyzing the draft.  I think ESPN is holding him back.  He doesn't provide as much information as he did on Draft Express. 

6 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

What's a buddy on the Pacers suppose to say?  They won't be anywhere near close enough to have the draft pick to land him..  Did this this pacer draft guru have any comments about the 10 players who are rising up the draft boards to pass Romeo. This isn't the most stellar of drafts and when Garland is sitting out all year and still listed as lotto pick in places, that kind of confirms it. 

Giovany is the best in the media when it comes to analyzing the draft.  I think ESPN is holding him back.  He doesn't provide as much information as he did on Draft Express. 

When do we know what a stellar draft is?  Looking in the rear view mirror is when.

1 hour ago, rico said:

When do we know what a stellar draft is?  Looking in the rear view mirror is when.

True but there seems to be a perception that the NBA drafts on potential which may or may not be true.  I think NBA scouts know what they are doing and cannot find every diamond in the rough.     Maybe when 5G networks come they will be able to see in the future? lol  That said, it would be interesting to see who it is that is doing so well that romeo is dropping so fast and furious.  

I think it is pretty clear this draft lacks potential of the previous couple of drafts.  Maybe the top 5-6 guys which include Romeo.   I find it hard to believe he drops much if at all until all these guys below him out perform him in draft camps and workouts.   While Romeo hasn't been the Luka Doncic of the  NCAA as all hoped, he's still been pretty solid on a team that has turned into a dumpster fire of a mess.  Also, everybody wants to point out his 3 point shooting as why he is dropping.  Simmons, Fultz, Lonzo, Sexton were all very high draft picks.  

Speaking of Luka,  I think the Mavs took this into their trade decision to swap picks by adding this years pick top 5 protected.  They wanted Doncic pretty bad but I think they or anyone else would be throwing a lot of smoke out there if they claimed he would be as good as he is and so quickly.  

17 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

True but there seems to be a perception that the NBA drafts on potential which may or may not be true.  I think NBA scouts know what they are doing and cannot find every diamond in the rough.     Maybe when 5G networks come they will be able to see in the future? lol  That said, it would be interesting to see who it is that is doing so well that romeo is dropping so fast and furious.  

I think it is pretty clear this draft lacks potential of the previous couple of drafts.  Maybe the top 5-6 guys which include Romeo.   I find it hard to believe he drops much if at all until all these guys below him out perform him in draft camps and workouts.   While Romeo hasn't been the Luka Doncic of the  NCAA as all hoped, he's still been pretty solid on a team that has turned into a dumpster fire of a mess.  Also, everybody wants to point out his 3 point shooting as why he is dropping.  Simmons, Fultz, Lonzo, Sexton were all very high draft picks.  

Speaking of Luka,  I think the Mavs took this into their trade decision to swap picks by adding this years pick top 5 protected.  They wanted Doncic pretty bad but I think they or anyone else would be throwing a lot of smoke out there if they claimed he would be as good as he is and so quickly.  

How did Fultz work out?  How about Ball?

The point is that we will look back years later and see how the draft was for a particular year.  The NBA, for whatever reason, drafts on potential.  They roll the dice on that time and time again.  More often than not it bites teams in butt.

But you did touch on something there...Romeo is on a bad team(apparently).  So were Simmons and Fultz.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I wonder if it is time for Archie to have some of the old players come in and speak to the team and try to show them what being part of Indiana means.

Would have been nice if it has already been done. Landon could have told them about the 1981 title run followed a 21-9 regular season, including a stretch where they went 8-7 (ending with a loss at home to Iowa, sound familiar?).

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Knight really figured out how to push Landon's button to get him straightened out.  Still love hearing Coach talk about Landon and the Celtics 

That may be...but I would want to know what "advice" Landon was giving Romeo.

I'll say one thing about Romeo last night...Anyone who doesn't think he's one tough hombre, after getting his shoulder driven into the ground, throwing up at the half, getting a bloody lip (and making a pair of FTs right after), and being hatcheted by the PU Goon squad all night and still having good numbers (especially the tough rebounding), is in a word, wrong.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'll say one thing about Romeo last night...Anyone who doesn't think he's one tough hombre, after getting his shoulder driven into the ground, throwing up at the half, getting a bloody lip (and making a pair of FTs right after), and being hatcheted by the PU Goon squad all night and still having good numbers (especially the tough rebounding), is in a word, wrong.

Amen 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

It was a Joe Montana performance from the "Ice Bowl".......going old school!

Archived