Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IU Scott said:

I get that you said that but in another post you stated that winning championships is not all he cares about and has life perspective.

Right. So he will come to IU for the chance to be a part of something special even though Kansas is a safer bet.

But that is predicated on Archie cleaning some things up. For ecample, an out of control DeVonte Green is not going to appeal to Romeo.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

In fairness, this is misleading and ignores that we went through 3 coaching changes and a major recruiting scandal which, due to IU's own self-imposed sanctions, sunk our program for years during this period.

07/08 - Sampson. Landing EJ was big, and that team was really good until the Sampson fallout, and they imploded after going, i think it was, 24-4.

2010 - Crean after Sampsongate. After playing walkons and baseball players. Of course we didn't have an elite recruit. But hey we did land Victor Olidipo, who turned into the #2 drafted player and one of the best players to play at IU.

2011 - Landing Zeller was huge, especially considering the team's record and building from the basement after Sampson's mess. And we beat out UNC, and fwiw he picked his home school in IU.

2012 - A top 5-10 class that other than Yogi didn't pan out. But as to recruiting and talent, it was a top ranked class.

2013 - Another top ranked player and future pro in Vonleh. Not my favorite Hoosier, and he didn't mesh, but that's a 5-star and 3 4-stars. Very good class.

2014 - JBJ and Blackmon, 5-star and a 4-star and two highly touted guards, both of whom were won against other top programs.

2015 - Bryant, another 5-star or top 4-star depending on the service. 

2016 - Davis, a 4-star and a guy turning into a serious player for IU, Jones a 4-star, highly touted guard. Class was good, not great, but not bad either.

2017-18, going through another coaching change, on heels of a bad season. Garland picked his home school. In running for Romeo when we were nowhere in sniffing distance until CAM came aboard. CAM is making good progress on the recruiting trail. No reason to look at these years and decide IU can't land big recruits, not true and misleading at best.

Nice response. I’ll get back to it later when I get back home. Now what about 95-01 when we were the definition of average and underachieving in the tournament? The way it’s set up at the moment we’re looking at another two years out of contention. Maybe if Romeo comes and we see some big jumps in development we could be a 2-3 seed. I’m not gonna bash Archie here because I’m sure he’ll be a good coach and his recruiting has been solid thus far. No, I’m not jumping for joy at the class we have for next year. I’m optimistic but it’s not enough.

8 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Nice response. I’ll get back to it later when I get back home. Now what about 95-01 when we were the definition of average and underachieving in the tournament? The way it’s set up at the moment we’re looking at another two years out of contention. Maybe if Romeo comes and we see some big jumps in development we could be a 2-3 seed. I’m not gonna bash Archie here because I’m sure he’ll be a good coach and his recruiting has been solid thus far. No, I’m not jumping for joy at the class we have for next year. I’m optimistic but it’s not enough.

I  know one year in there we had two McDonald's All Americans in Reed and Patterson I think Recker was an all American as well.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I  know one year in there we had two McDonald's All Americans in Reed and Patterson I think Recker was an all American as well.

That sounds about right. They were all very good players. There’s two tiers to 5 star players is one of the points I’m trying to make here and we aren’t touching the top level. There’s Thomas Bryant / Vonleh and then there’s Anthony Davis / Okafor. 

53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Jerry Myer has changed his pick for Romeo to Vanderbilt.  If this actually happens I just don't understand why a player like Romeo would go to Vanderbilt.

This is funny.  It's clear these two want to play together and are probably a package deal.  It appears they rather take their "talents" to Vanderbilt -- of all places -- instead of Indiana.  Could Darius be the alpha male of the two? - hell, we're talking about hometowns here so wouldn't that place us in favor of Romeo, but now I'm not sure anymore? If you want to do something special, like make a Final Four or win a Championship, wouldn't you rather do it at a school where fans breathe basketball.

If you would've asked me a month ago if Vandy could pull Shittu, Garland and Langford, I would've burst out laughing...

15 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

That sounds about right. They were all very good players. There’s two tiers to 5 star players is one of the points I’m trying to make here and we aren’t touching the top level. There’s Thomas Bryant / Vonleh and then there’s Anthony Davis / Okafor. 

Jason Collier was like a top 5 player as well.

32 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Oh I feel the same about 95-00 or so as that was RMK's downward path that, along with his abusive behavior and inability to control himself, and the U's zero tolerance policy, led to his firing and then Davis stepping in (leading to a championship appearance with RMK's recruited players and then back to the downward path). 

I don't think we're looking at 2 years out of contention. Recruiting will continue to be key, but CAM has already started off well. Certainly if Romeo picks IU that will help, but he's not the only player out there, and I do think CAM is a good coach. I think we're competing well sooner than 2 years away.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Jerry Myer has changed his pick for Romeo to Vanderbilt.  If this actually happens I just don't understand why a player like Romeo would go to Vanderbilt.

I won't believe till all the Duke people change their votes to Vandy.  Being half serious and half cynical here.  LOL

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh I feel the same about 95-00 or so as that was RMK's downward path that, along with his abusive behavior and inability to control himself, and the U's zero tolerance policy, led to his firing and then Davis stepping in (leading to a championship appearance with RMK's recruited players and then back to the downward path). 

I don't think we're looking at 2 years out of contention. Recruiting will continue to be key, but CAM has already started off well. Certainly if Romeo picks IU that will help, but he's not the only player out there, and I do think CAM is a good coach. I think we're competing well sooner than 2 years away.

Hard to see us competing for a conference championship next season unless we land Romeo.

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

To me it does not seem we are on any other 2018 players so I would think that might lead CAM to get a 5th year grad transfer.  I would hope we can find a pg that can come in and compete so Phinissee does not have to come in right away and play big minutes.

11 minutes ago, NY hoosier said:

Went school there in early 80’s great school fun environment decent b-ball history

I got recruited by them for track.  Did my visit and loved the place.   I would have committed but my folks thought it was too far away.  

43 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

You're too negative about our recruiting prospects.  Sampson landed 2 top 15 players in 2 years on Gordon and Ebanks.  He was just an average recruiter.   Crean landed 5 burger boys in 5 years at one point and he was total weirdo.  Imagine what a guy who's normal and knows how to coach will accomplish. 

27 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hard to see us competing for a conference championship next season unless we land Romeo.

He said "out of contention" --  Not really clear what that means. I didn't read that as competing for conference championship next season. I don't see reason to think we'll compete for a conf championship next season, but I can see the team contending as one of the top 5 or so teams in conference, and contending for a good NCAA tourney run. Semantics! 

5 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Langford will end up at Vanderbilt. He and Garland want to play together.

I still think Romeo comes to IU. While I agree he has interest in playing with Garland, there are other factors as well or why wouldn't he sign with Vandy now? Ultimately, I think the lure of playing in state will win out.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I admire your optimism bud, I really do. Top kids don't want to play in the Big 10 and the hoosier fan base / history isn't really much of a sell either apparently. We'll see how it plays out. By competing I mean legit FF contender. Not a chance that happens next year unless a lot of dominos fall in place. 

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

I admire your optimism bud, I really do. Top kids don't want to play in the Big 10 and the hoosier fan base / history isn't really much of a sell either apparently. We'll see how it plays out. By competing I mean legit FF contender. Not a chance that happens next year unless a lot of dominos fall in place. 

I don't know how you can say that when you just look at the MSU roster.  Bridges and Jackson were both 5 star players and they have a lot more 4 star players as well.

39 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

You're too negative about our recruiting prospects.  Sampson landed 2 top 15 players in 2 years on Gordon and Ebanks.  He was just an average recruiter.   Crean landed 5 burger boys in 5 years at one point and he was total weirdo.  Imagine what a guy who's normal and knows how to coach will accomplish. 

Ebanks was 44th and Sampson pulled some sleaze to get Gordon. Sampson would have gotten us a banner I'm sure of it. I'm not sure that he was an average recruiter. This is a sleazy ass business and he had the right sleaze + coaching ability + school to bring in the top players. The 5 stars that Crean got were not of the caliber of Darius/Romeo/Gordon either. FWIW it's not archie that I have a problem with at all. I think the big 10 is a trap and especially IU. It's obvious that none of the best players want to play here. I'll wait to see what happens with Brooks, Watford, and Hurt. If we whiff on all three I think people will finally see what I'm talking about.

I have no doubts that we'll be 'just fine' but I'm sick of being just fine. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know how you can say that when you just look at the MSU roster.  Bridges and Jackson were both 5 star players and they have a lot more 4 star players as well.

So was Josh Langford for MSU.

The Big 10 is in a weird place right now. Every conference has just a handful of programs that could (or have in the past) reliably drawn in 5 stars fairly consistently. Big 10's are probably Michigan State, Ohio State, IU, Maryland? Then you have the teams that are good but aren't going to often bring in those players - like Purdue or Wisconsin.

Right now, Michigan State is the only one of those Big 10 programs actually on solid footing. So it's hardly surprising the Big 10 isn't bringing in a ton of 5 stars at the moment.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is the first time that Izzo did it. Look where they're at. 8th, 12th, 19th, and 31st....and they're ranked second! Pretty simple really. Stock up talent and you win. Not 55-155 players That's all I'm asking for. I went back to 2006 and he hasn't had a single top 10 guy outside of Jackson. 

16 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Again..... Why wouldn't he announce it now then???

I don't know if I even believe this is possible but if these two guys are dead set  on playing together could there be a scenario where Romeo lets Garland have his time in the spotlight this Fall and then he gets his time in the Spring? 

Archived