Romeo Langford

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not sure that has much to do with winning the conference freshmen of the year? He was clearly, far and away the best freshmen in the conference that season. If it was a close race, then maybe those things factor in.

Also, that team was terrible and poorly coached. The guards were awful at shooting and awful at getting the ball to the post, so while Vonleh did make some bad decisions down low at times, I can't entirely blame him for that. When you don't get the ball as much as you should, but when you do get the ball you convert at a high rate vs. bricks being shot when you pass out, coupled with being poorly coached and a young big (a position where it takes time to develop), I don't really blame him too, too much. 

I will always defer to your knowledge of the game.  However, in this case..... a one and done.... who put his team's interests behind his desire to enter the NBA.... just did not work for me.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I will always defer to your knowledge of the game.  However, in this case..... a one and done.... who put his team's interests behind his desire to enter the NBA.... just did not work for me.

You don’t have to defer to me at all! I just view it more as an 18 year old being put in a terrible position to succeed by the people around him, both in terms of his inner circle and the coaches at IU. 

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You don’t have to defer to me at all! I just view it more as an 18 year old being put in a terrible position to succeed by the people around him, both in terms of his inner circle and the coaches at IU. 

And again, lack of shooting. If we had had a couple of solid deep shooters on that team, it's immediately at least a tourney team. I only go so far with the 'bad coaching' angle. Crean coached 2 teams to B1G championships and SW16 runs. Not making this discussion a Crean thing, but he did some good things when he had the right players (including developing them), just didn't mind the store and when you're all about O and you don't have shooters or class depth, down you go.

24 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And again, lack of shooting. If we had had a couple of solid deep shooters on that team, it's immediately at least a tourney team. I only go so far with the 'bad coaching' angle. Crean coached 2 teams to B1G championships and SW16 runs. Not making this discussion a Crean thing, but he did some good things when he had the right players (including developing them), just didn't mind the store and when you're all about O and you don't have shooters or class depth, down you go.

Completely agree with you on the shooting. I don’t want to ever see teams devoid of shooting like that team or this years team. As far as Crean, I meant that specific season, not that he is a bad coach in general, he’s clearly had lots of success. I think we actually went back and forth on this during that season, if I remember, but in my opinion he did a really bad job that particular season. 

Other HC's on Romeo (per The Athletic -- paywall, only copy/pasting the Langford bit).

First Coach

“You know, I’ll tell you what. He gets to the rim. He may be one of the better players in the country at getting to the lane and finishing. A lot of that is because he doesn’t shoot it great. He knows that, and it’s an area of maturity on his part. But at the same time, that’s an area of his game he’s gotta improve on going forward, because he’s obviously not going to be able to get to the rim ad nauseam and finish over the length and athleticism you see in the NBA.

“I also wonder if he will be humble enough, being a guy that quite honestly has always had his ass kissed and always been the guy. He’s going to have to humble himself and play that complimentary role. Will Romeo be willing to not be the go-to guy? I know he’s talented enough to eventually do that, but walking in the door, that won’t be his role.

“He’s going to have to become a better defender, a better wide open corner 3-point shooter at least. Be able to play off of guys. I do think he moves well without the ball. He does some things cutting off the ball that will translate. But he’s also going to have to just make some shots. That needs to become a strength. And he needs to be a better lockdown defender. A complimentary guy, and get out of that comfort zone of guys always playing through him. If he can humble himself into that role, I think can be a good pro. If anyone can get him to play hard and defend, I’d think Archie could do it, and he’s been better on defense.

“Watching him shoot it in practice, it was kind of a different shot every time. His footwork wasn’t the same. Sometimes he hopped. Sometime he stepped. Sometimes it was right-left, sometimes it was left-right into the shot. I think he’s just gotta get more consistency in his jump shot to get more consistent results.”

Second Coach

“I gave him too much credit. He’s got really soft touch 12 feet and in. They get him going downhill to his right hand a lot, and he has really good body control and an ability to make really tough hanging 2s. Balls that typically come out of other guys’ hands hard, they come out of his hands soft. That’s a skill that I think is transferable.

“He’s got this funky deal where he brings the ball over his head on his jump shot with a hard wrist action. I don’t believe in him as a shooter at all. I think he’s going to have to change it altogether.

“When I was watching him, I didn’t come away thinking from my scout that he was phenomenal. Everyone has him as a top-10 pick and everything. He’s good, but I don’t think he’s this freakish, freakish athlete. His handle isn’t super tight. His playmaking isn’t there. His shot is obviously wildly inconsistent. I don’t know. I’m sure he’ll be a top-15 guy, but I’m not sure he’s going to be someone that right away is ready to do it.

“I thought he was instinctive defensively, but unaware. And I thought there was a lot of nuance that needed to be developed in his offensive game. A big part of that is that teams just scout him as a non-shooter. In college, the floor can be incredibly tight, and teams can just sit on your drive a little bit more. When you have pair him with guys like Justin Smith not making shots, or if Al Durham doesn’t make shots, now all of a sudden you have no room to operate. Plus, you’re playing two bigs, it gets really tight out there.

“But in open space, shit, if you watch their game against Marquette earlier this year where they were able to turn them over a bunch and they got him in the open floor, he looked really dynamic. But in a tight, half-court offensive game, that’s not really where he’s going to look his best. I still think he’s got a chance to be a really good player. I just don’t think he can shoot it. And if he can’t, he becomes less than incredible.”

Third Coach

“Can he be Rod Strickland? Can he be John Lucas? Guys who couldn’t shoot, but it didn’t matter. Because they could get to their spots whenever they wanted. I don’t know if he’s that guy. He’s not a jet. You can re-work his jump shot, but that’s going to take time and it’s not going to involve him going up and down to the G-League.

“He has to be with the team so he gets that coaching. But I like him. If he was a speed demon, it wouldn’t matter about the shot. In the NBA, you have to have one thing that is your trick. He’s a good player, I just don’t know that he has that yet.”

Fourth Coach

“He’s fast. He’s got such a great burst. He’s great in transition. He can get to the rim at will. He’s very, very strong for a kid that age. He just has a knack for scoring the ball. We had some guys on the wing that we thought were pretty physical, and he got wherever he wanted. When his shooting comes, he’ll be really good. Great athlete, very strong. Able to get to his spots on the floor very easily.

“We talked about him as a guy that we thought was a capable shooter. We really respected his jumper. I know I’ve heard that he hasn’t shot it as well, but his shot is definitely not broken. He’s got a good shot. It’s one of those things the more reps he gets, the better he’ll be.”

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Other HC's on Romeo (per The Athletic -- paywall, only copy/pasting the Langford bit).

So basically you have two coaches that think he’s great and two that think he’s average to above average. I still think he doesn’t drop below the top 10 if he goes. 

7 minutes ago, IUskim said:

So basically you have two coaches that think he’s great and two that think he’s average to above average. I still think he doesn’t drop below the top 10 if he goes. 

And as in most cases, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  He's probably not Freshman POY, but he's better than above average. 

^^^^ So, four coaches agree with me.  Romeo has holes in his game.  But those holes most likely will not prevent him from moving to the next level, season end.

As far as Freshman POY.... that remains to be seen.  Gonna have to have some great games from here on out to seal that deal. 

I just seen this posted on the Redszone.  Got to give credit to a guy that goes by the handle of "Revering4Blue"....

Folks, it's time to play IU basketball false narratives.....

The subject for today: Romeo Langford!

#1: One-and-done types like Langford should be avoided at IU.....

Would you rather high-end IHSAA talent lands elsewhere, as it did more often than not under the Davis and Crean regimes?

Next.....

#2: Romeo would be a fool to declare for the draft after this season...He's not ready, and thanks to his team's sub-par season, will fall out of the high lottery.

< Price is Right buzzer sound >

Whether Romeo is "ready" for the NBA or not, it's been proven conclusively that NBA scouts judge based solely on long-term potential, could not care less about NCAA team performance, and also realize that his long-range shooting will develop eventually. Besides -- and it still amazes me just how many fans fail to realize this -- the days of drafting for need/immediate impact within the lottery ended once nearly every high-end player began leaving school following their sophomore years, if not earlier.

#3: Archie Miller is wasting Romeo's season because he has no clue how to coach high end talent.

< Price is Right fail theme >

So it's Archie's fault for not waving a magic wand to enable players to remain healthy, poor shooters to shoot well (both free throws and perimeter shots) and enable players with a low BBall IQ -- I'm looking at you, Smith and Green) to suddenly morph into basketball Einsteins? And it's also Archie's fault he was unable to remake the roster to his liking from the get-go due to APR restrictions?

With all due respect to those playing at home who believe the last narrative, you don't even get a copy of the home game. biggrin.gif

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Don't know what the hell Yahoo is doing. This is a post on a message board from some random user over at Crimson Quarry and by the looks of it, has already been deleted.

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2019/3/4/18249701/romeo-langford-to-transfer-after-the-regular-season

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Don't know what the hell Yahoo is doing. This is a post on a message board from some random user over at Crimson Quarry and by the looks of it, has already been deleted.

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2019/3/4/18249701/romeo-langford-to-transfer-after-the-regular-season

You beat me to it. 

I saw it yesterday. Good job, Yahoo.

4 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So what you are saying is that Yahoo took a post from a user from an IU site and reported it as news?

Archived