Romeo Langford

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Just free-wheeling an idea, but a starting place might be: figure out the minimum amount per year it would take for you to live a comfortable lifestyle.  You can then play around with the calculations of how many years/months you expect to live and various rates of returns.  When you settle on a logical pair of years and returns, you can calculate the net present value of what you'd need on whatever your Day Zero is.   To put it differently, it'll tell you how much you'd need on Day Zero, for you to withdraw X per month for X years, if the remaining principal is drawing Y%.

Once that is established, you can use your tiered idea, taking any additional income/windfall and exposing it to various higher levels of risk/return.  What the ideal combination would be....way too complicated for me to answer (without researching the hell out of it).  It would depend on the investment vehicles used, your other tax considerations, etc etc. 

Aside: I won't give odds on investments, but I 100% guarantee that you won't see conversation like this on CatsPause or RuppRafters. 😉

Yeah they do have those discussions in Ky- they call it ciphering. Advanced conversation includes the “gazintas “ .

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Don't look now, but SI.com is now predicting Romeo as the No. 20 overall pick, although the writer acknowledges that some team may value his potential higher. Suggests Romeo has too any things to work on.

If Keion says yes and Romeo stays...IU has a scholarship problem that I don't look forward to seeing resolved. I know it happens regularly but I see potential in every one of the returning players IU has and I don't want to see anyone squeezed out before they have a chance to shine.

Ughh.

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If Keion says yes and Romeo stays...IU has a scholarship problem that I don't look forward to seeing resolved. I know it happens regularly but I see potential in every one of the returning players IU has and I don't want to see anyone squeezed out before they have a chance to shine.

Ughh.

Moore 

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I love a thread filled with finance & fishing guys...

For those of you talking sequence of returns/Monte Carlo simulations, etc., you can eliminate much of that concern by simply carrying 15% cash and only touching it when the market is really beat up.  That's close to 4 years worth of cash and it's actually yielding better than 2% right now.  You can do the same thing with a little more yield in a short bond ladder.  Just leave stocks alone when the market is beat up.

...and Romeo has an open invitation visit my private fishing hole...plenty of bass and big hybrid bluegills and red ears.😋

Enough of this Romeo talk, let's get back to those redears!

57 minutes ago, loviubb said:

Was this going to be a 4 man class? I know some insiders have said this and maybe why CAM is still recruiting. A 3 man class if Romeo stayed, So maybe Cam already knows of a transfer Sorry to take away from the fishing😉

My best guess is that CAM has always counted on a 3-4 person class, with the assumption that Romeo was leaving and that a player may transfer.  If Romeo stays and no one transfers, IU is full with the current two commitments.  If Romeo leaves OR a player transfers, there's room for Keion (likely).  If Romeo leaves AND a player transfers, there's room for Keion and another 2019 (one of our current plan B's).

1 hour ago, loviubb said:

Was this going to be a 4 man class? I know some insiders have said this and maybe why CAM is still recruiting. A 3 man class if Romeo stayed, So maybe Cam already knows of a transfer Sorry to take away from the fishing😉

Well, we just learned that Juwan was wanting to transfer, but De'Ron talked him out of it.  Oh, wait.... that was last year.

Seriously, and I have been saying this for what seems forever.  Romeo has work to do. Only question is... will he do it at IU, or in the NBA?  No doubt in my mind as to why he continues to slide in the NBA projections.   NOW.... not knocking the kid.  I love him.  However, there are issues, and reasons why peeps are seeing what I saw long ago.

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Well, we just learned that Juwan was wanting to transfer, but De'Ron talked him out of it.  Oh, wait.... that was last year.

Seriously, and I have been saying this for what seems forever.  Romeo has work to do. Only question is... will he do it at IU, or in the NBA?  No doubt in my mind as to why he continues to slide in the NBA projections.   NOW.... not knocking the kid.  I love him.  However, there are issues, and reasons why peeps are seeing what I saw long ago.

And what did you see long ago?

6 hours ago, rico said:

And what did you see long ago?

Before I get into what I have seen, let me first say that I think that Romeo is an above average college BB player. And there are reasons as to why he ended up where he did in terms of end of the year Big Ten honors.

But there are things he needs to work on either at IU or the next level.  One, his mechanics shooting the three need to be cleaned up. Romeo has a tendency not to set his feet properly, but rather bring his knees together before getting his shot off. Then, he brings the ball up from low, to high.  That's ok when he is attempting an uncontested shot, but won't work on the next level, or as we have seen, when he is being contested. And by bringing the ball up in front of him, he loses sight of the rim. Albeit, for a moment, but long enough to distract his 3 point attempts.  Which is why we saw so many of his uncontested three point attempts during season, go off the rim, instead of through the rim.

Predictable.  Got to switch it up when driving the lane. Romeo is too easy to game plan for.  He is right handed dominant when in the lane.  Teams know that and can game plan for it.

Decision making.  Some god awful forced passing attempts.  Attempts to get the ball to guys when there really was no open passing lane.

Assists.  Really not great.  In fact during the time when Rob P. was out, some games ended with negative numbers assist wise. 

Lastly.  Defense.  Allows his man too many times to just blow by him.

You may think I am nit picking.  But those are things that Romeo, IHMO is going to have to fix, if he intends to be successful at the next level.... and may be the reason why he continues to slip in the draft.

Thanks for asking !

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Ughh.

huh? Call me confused, but you sound like you wouldn't want this to happen - maybe you're being sacastic

In case you're serious....Romeo staying and Keion committing would be the best news in a long time. They're Archie guys and we would immediately contend for a BIG championship and more.  Sorry, but combination of Romeo and Keion on 1 team far outweighs the loss of Clifton Moore or just about anyone else

40 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Before I get into what I have seen, let me first say that I think that Romeo is an above average college BB player. And there are reasons as to why he ended up where he did in terms of end of the year Big Ten honors.

But there are things he needs to work on either at IU or the next level.  One, his mechanics shooting the three need to be cleaned up. Romeo has a tendency not to set his feet properly, but rather bring his knees together before getting his shot off. Then, he brings the ball up from low, to high.  That's ok when he is attempting an uncontested shot, but won't work on the next level, or as we have seen, when he is being contested. And by bringing the ball up in front of him, he loses sight of the rim. Albeit, for a moment, but long enough to distract his 3 point attempts.  Which is why we saw so many of his uncontested three point attempts during season, go off the rim, instead of through the rim.

Predictable.  Got to switch it up when driving the lane. Romeo is too easy to game plan for.  He is right handed dominant when in the lane.  Teams know that and can game plan for it.

Decision making.  Some god awful forced passing attempts.  Attempts to get the ball to guys when there really was no open passing lane.

Assists.  Really not great.  In fact during the time when Rob P. was out, some games ended with negative numbers assist wise. 

You may think I am nit picking.  But those are things that Romeo, IHMO is going to have to fix, if he intends to be successful at the next level.... and may be the reason why he continues to slip in the draft.

Thanks for asking !

Good stuff "young" man.  

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I'd say Romeo is an above average defender when he is locked onto his man. He has lapses where he loses his man that tend to be costly and that is what gets noticed.

Mile, btw, any good stories from the big storm - the cyclone bomb- that tore threw there? Were you rescuing drivers or just hunkered down?

50 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'd say Romeo is an above average defender when he is locked onto his man. He has lapses where he loses his man that tend to be costly and that is what gets noticed.

Mile, btw, any good stories from the big storm - the cyclone bomb- that tore threw there? Were you rescuing drivers or just hunkered down?

I will grant that Romeo has worked on his D, since the start of the season, and it has gotten better. But he still loses his man.  Just not as much now, as before.

In terms of the cyclone bomb.... I hunkered down.  Many police depts, at the height of the storm, issued an order to stay in place. Woke up this morning, and all major roads in and out of Denver were closed. In fact every road, just South of Denver all the way into Colorado Springs (approx. 60/75 miles) were closed. As of my writing this (9:17a.m.) none of the roads to Colorado Springs have opened up. There was a huge pileup on I-25, with estimates of well over 60 cars or trucks involved. And there were major wrecks all over the area.   The National Guard made hundreds of rescues.  There was a Colorado State Patrolman who was killed while helping a stranded motorist of I-76, North of Denver.

The skies are bright this morning.  And helicopters have been searching since day break for stranded motorists, all over the greater Denver Metro Area.  And the first plane to leave DIA in a day, just left. All 6 runways had been closed, as crews could not keep up with the blowing snow.  Reports at DIA of wind gusts continually hit 90 MPH.

It's time to seriously consider he may come back.  

1. Said he wanted to be a Hoosier legend and leave a legacy. 

2. CAM is not ferociously recruiting his replacement that we know of.  Sure he's seen some guys the last month or so but we haven't heard of full court press.  

3. Lottery teams want instant threats.  As it currently stands, Romeos shooting is the NBA's liability.  Maybe the wrap he has worn all season requires a simple fix surgery and he decides one more year to push for top 3 makes sense because it kinda does.  Next years crop doesn't stand in your way like a Zion once in 20 years does.  

I know about the money and getting to 2nd year contract as fast as possible stuff.  Romeos parents don't live in utter poverty.  It's been widely reported dad works for Humana insurance in Louisville,  probably not a 6 figure salary but my buddy started there 15 years ago entry level at 38k. 

1 hour ago, IUalum said:

It will be interesting to see who all tests the market.  Certainly, Romeo will, Davis?  Green?  Smith?

They all should test the market if they want. Romeo is the only one I see going pro early. 

I wonder who enters the transfer portal. 

I don't want ANY transfers as of now. If Archie encourages a transfer, I'll trust his judgment but Clifton shoots the ball well and has shown promise in limited minutes. Damezi needs confidence in his stroke but shows potential to be a floor stretcher.

2 hours ago, IUalum said:

It will be interesting to see who all tests the market.  Certainly, Romeo will, Davis?  Green?  Smith?

I'll be shocked if Green and Davis do. They talked Juwan into staying only to transfer themselves before their senior year? I don't see it. 

Archived