Romeo Langford

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't want ANY transfers as of now. If Archie encourages a transfer, I'll trust his judgment but Clifton shoots the ball well and has shown promise in limited minutes. Damezi needs confidence in his stroke but shows potential to be a floor stretcher.

I'm also thinking that once the shock and awe of college bball gets out of Demezi's head, he will become a good defender and a very good, confident shooter. I can see him being a major weapon as a jr/sr.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Romeo’s shot, I don’t think it’s a muscle memory thing. I just think it’s inconsistency with his form.  There are times where his shot is beautiful.  There was a three pointer he hit at the end of the first half a few games ago (perhaps Purdue) where he drilled it as time elapsed and his form could have been the cover for the brochure of a shooting camp.  Other times he’s all over the place. 

I just think if he can lock in his form and follow through, which is very helpful in general because it really forces you to visualize the target (the basket in this case), he can be a solid shooter.  

As for his defense, he may have mental lapses, but he has the ability and physical skills to be a very good defender.  He’s not like Jabari Parker who had some quote to the effect that great scorers don’t need to defend.  Romeo has great length and quickness for his size. 

He is an excellent rebounder for a two guard. 

He does need to work on his explosiveness to his left.  

He is very young, but in my view, based on what I said above, the sky is the limit.  We saw a freshman this year. Imagine how ridiculous he’d be in 2 years at this level. 

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

With Romeo’s shot, I don’t think it’s a muscle memory thing. I just think it’s inconsistency with his form.  There are times where his shot is beautiful.  There was a three pointer he hit at the end of the first half a few games ago (perhaps Purdue) where he drilled it as time elapsed and his form could have been the cover for the brochure of a shooting camp.  Other times he’s all over the place. 

I just think if he can lock in his form and follow through, which is very helpful in general because it really forces you to visualize the target (the basket in this case), he can be a solid shooter.  

As for his defense, he may have mental lapses, but he has the ability and physical skills to be a very good defender.  He’s not like Jabari Parker who had some quote to the effect that great scorers don’t need to defend.  Romeo has great length and quickness for his size. 

He is an excellent rebounder for a two guard. 

He does need to work on his explosiveness to his left.  

He is very young, but in my view, based on what I said above, the sky is the limit.  We saw a freshman this year. Imagine how ridiculous he’d be in 2 years at this level. 

I believe this is spot on regarding his shot.  There were times his shot came off his fingertips it reminded you of the seemingly effortless form of Jay Edwards.  Other times, his shot seemed 'pushed' or flicked.  Line drives with little arch, it's something that will be worked out, and when he has it down, look out.

His defense: the length is there, the coachability and athleticism/quickness are there.  Desire over time and repetition are next, which I also believe will happen.

20 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Just setting yourself up for more IU basketball disappoint if you are considering Romeo coming back. I'll stick with being pleasantly shocked if he does.

Mostly agree.  Considering coming back is different from expecting.

My post was open ended with the only expectation on his development, which will very likely happen on contract.

5 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I believe this is spot on regarding his shot.  There were times his shot came off his fingertips it reminded you of the seemingly effortless form of Jay Edwards.  Other times, his shot seemed 'pushed' or flicked.  Line drives with little arch, it's something that will be worked out, and when he has it down, look out.

His defense: the length is there, the coachability and athleticism/quickness are there.  Desire over time and repetition are next, which I also believe will happen.

Still questioning the wrap.  Is a minor surgery after the season warranted?  Will we ever get an explanation?  

After thinking more today, less and less likely he comes back.  If he comes back and still shoots like crap, his stock tanks even more.  

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Still questioning the wrap.  Is a minor surgery after the season warranted?  Will we ever get an explanation?  

After thinking more today, less and less likely he comes back.  If he comes back and still shoots like crap, his stock tanks even more.  

I live in the New Albany area and word is that he has torn ligaments in his thumb and will most likely have surgery after the season is over. It has absolutely effected his shot. It seems to have bothered him in some games more than others, especially after contact. I don't think that he comes back but there has been some chatter that it might still be a possibility. 

41 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

I live in the New Albany area and word is that he has torn ligaments in his thumb and will most likely have surgery after the season is over. It has absolutely effected his shot. It seems to have bothered him in some games more than others, especially after contact. I don't think that he comes back but there has been some chatter that it might still be a possibility. 

I don't doubt the injury issue at all. Been a big impact to his game, very much like Eric Gordon.  Many credos to Romeo for not speaking out about it, but rather playing through it.

I would be completely shocked if Romeo comes back. While I don’t see how he gets picked in the lottery based on his IU performance, I do understand it’s all based on potential. The sky is the limit for Romeo. He has incredible talent which we saw at times. He also needs to work on consistency with his long range shooting (which may get better if he has in fact been playing injured as has been reported), learning to go left so he’s less predictable and harder to guard, and definitely try harder to be more involved especially not disappearing when the team needs him. I think he can do all of these things while making millions in the NBA. Most kids aren’t going to pass up a lottery pick to go back to college. I say the only reason he comes back is if his draft stock has dropped him out of a lottery pick. Even then he will definitely go in the first round so I still don’t see how he passes that up. 

1 hour ago, IUfan93 said:

I would be completely shocked if Romeo comes back. While I don’t see how he gets picked in the lottery based on his IU performance, I do understand it’s all based on potential. The sky is the limit for Romeo. He has incredible talent which we saw at times. He also needs to work on consistency with his long range shooting (which may get better if he has in fact been playing injured as has been reported), learning to go left so he’s less predictable and harder to guard, and definitely try harder to be more involved especially not disappearing when the team needs him. I think he can do all of these things while making millions in the NBA. Most kids aren’t going to pass up a lottery pick to go back to college. I say the only reason he comes back is if his draft stock has dropped him out of a lottery pick. Even then he will definitely go in the first round so I still don’t see how he passes that up. 

Romeo will go through the process. Which allows him to test the waters, and then decide what is being told to him. For his sake , I hope he gets not only good information, but makes the wise choice. 

Love ya '93.  You've been a great member of HSN for what seems forever.  My best goes out to you and yours. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Romeo will go through the process. Which allows him to test the waters, and then decide what is being told to him. For his sake , I hope he gets not only good information, but makes the wise choice. 

Love ya '93.  You've been a great member of HSN for what seems forever.  My best goes out to you and yours. 

Thanks Mile back at ya!

Agreed...really hope it turns out for the best for Romeo and he makes a wise decision regarding his future. Great kid...glad he chose IU to spend his OAD year. 

Potential issue for Romeo and one that I would absolutely agree with. If we don't make tourney and play in NIT....should Romeo risk injury and play? To me it's the equivalent of 1st round NFL prospect not playing in some no name bowl. Given the injury to Jaxson Hayes (Texas) the other night it's something to consider and I'd have zero problem if he didn't play.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Potential issue for Romeo and one that I would absolutely agree with. If we don't make tourney and play in NIT....should Romeo risk injury and play? To me it's the equivalent of 1st round NFL prospect not playing in some no name bowl. Given the injury to Jaxson Hayes (Texas) the other night it's something to consider and I'd have zero problem if he didn't play.

Simple answer for me.  If one is a competitor.  You play. Regardless of what may happen. That is what upset me most about Mr. Glass's decision, not to accept the last NIT invitation.  His rejection, not only stole a chance for our kids to compete. But it also stole a chance for IU fans to get another fix, of one of the things they love most.

Seeking.... you are a  great member.  However, I can't be o.k. with a player or an A.D. who is unwilling to compete.... regardless of why. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The respective injury risks just aren't comparable. Romeo is going to play a lot of basketball between now and when he puts his name on an NBA contract, the risk of injury will be higher in the NIT than all of those other times he plays, but not by that much. 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

As long as he's healthy and a part of this team, he should be playing.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Simple answer for me.  If one is a competitor.  You play. Regardless of what may happen. That is what upset me most about Mr. Glass's decision, not to accept the last NIT invitation.  His rejection, not only stole a chance for our kids to compete. But it also stole a chance for IU fans to get another fix, of one of the things they love most.

Seeking.... you are a  great member.  However, I can't be o.k. with a player or an A.D. who is unwilling to compete.... regardless of why. 

Agree on all and I guess I should clarify my point. I can see why a kid wouldn't play but like DOM said it's not like football given how much Romeo will be playing hoops between now and draft day. Just thought it was an interesting debate I saw yesterday. 

It seems that Romeo's "greatness" is not limited to basketball.  Whatever decision he makes, to stay or to go, could be the wrong one(relatively speaking). I would hope he comes back because he seems like an ideal student athlete that is a credit to our program and University.  If we are ever going to return to our former glory, another year with Romeo would be an essential piece in building a culture of depth and quality, on and off the court.  I wouldn't bet a nickel on him coming back because most wouldn't delay the NBA for a year. However, he is not like most and it seems like he has a larger view on life than simply becoming a pro. After Keion chose UK, a decision that I hope is right for him, I am that much more behind the young men who commit to play at IU. 

Mr. Glass refused to play in the CBI, AFTER, being snubbed by the NIT in 2014.  He has turned down both the NIT, one year, not wanting to play at home, and the CBI, stating : "Indiana does not play in the CBI. "  He has since stated, not taking the NIT home bid was a mistake on his part.

Indiana basketball didn’t even make the NIT this year 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I don't know what to think about this. I smell a rat. I think Glass didn't want to expose the television media to the possibility of fans booing our team. In my opinion he knew the team wasn't performing well and we would probably lose the game and he was going to replace Crean. He made the decision to play on the road which would allow us to use that as an excuse and deep down maybe he wanted the loss which would help justify him dumping Crean. 
Glass has done many good things for Indiana but he has also made many not so smart moves which has cost the university millions of dollars. 

Archived