Romeo Langford

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Romeo is 50/50 on his future.  I normally do not have any insider information in regards to players, recruiting, etc.  However, one of my best friends lives down in the New Albany area and knows Romeos dad pretty well.   Last time they spoke(which was prior to the Big Ten Tourney), Romeo was 50/50 on his decision to stay or leave.  The dad said the decision will be solely up to Romeo on if he wants to leave for the draft or stay for another year just like they left it up to Romeo on him choosing what school he wanted to attend.  I believe the split is more 70(draft)/30(stay in school) IMO. 

THAT is huge intel.  Thanks for sharing it with us.   I would imagine, once he puts his name on the list..... that he will get a much better idea as to stay or go.

Again, do appreciate what you have brought to the board.   It's just like TDH said the other day..... we knew about Romeo on HSN..... long before PPV sites even did.  It's people like you that are willing to share. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Romeo is the type of kid that doesn’t want to leave unfinished business behind.  I also think he wants to have a chance to play in the NCAA tournament.  Money be damned, I think he comes back with a chip on his shoulder, puts this team on his back and silences any critics/doubters that he gained this year...

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

THAT is huge intel.  Thanks for sharing it with us.   I would imagine, once he puts his name on the list..... that he will get a much better idea as to stay or go.

Again, do appreciate what you have brought to the board.   It's just like TDH said the other day..... we knew about Romeo on HSN..... long before PPV sites even did.  It's people like you that are willing to share. 

Thanks @milehiiu, I'll share what I can as long as its from someone that I respect very much.  If Romeo would have ended his recruitment a month earlier, he would not have been in Cream and Crimson.  It would have been either Vandy or Kansas(source wouldn't say which of the two he had #1 at the time).  Romeo himself wanted to wait and it paid off to wait from IU's point of view. 

4 hours ago, JWoolsey said:

I did a little reasearch because I was thinking that he was a real candidate to come back but I don't see how you could take that risk for so little reward. Mocks had him around 8th for 11.4. He'd have to jump up to 4th to even have the math work there. If he fell the next year we're talking possibly 10million down the drain.

I think what I'm about to say might make your brain explode, but hear me out.... There is more to life and decision making than just numbers. Numbers are the 'hard' side of an analysis and everyone understands that those say to go, but there is a 'soft' side that it is impossible to weigh without getting into someone's head. 

Whatever Romeo's decision is, I hope he weighs his priorities and only his priorities. This is a decision for him that he has to live with. 

I believe that for some highly rated players, their goals are bigger than getting to the NBA and getting that contract - they aspire to being stars.  I have no idea what RL's ultimate motivation is or what his plans are.  I will say that from what I've seen, I don't know if he has the personality and drive to become a star, nor whether those traits can be learned.

If he wants to thrive in the NBA he has quite a bit to improve on and he has to recognize that and then decide where he wants to do it. My guess is staying another year would be more fun and less stressful, but maybe it's not in his eyes.

All that said, if he's currently truly 50/50, It almost certainly means he's gone - there'll be too much hype and allure to turn down once he begins the evaluation process.

I think he will probably go.  I think after this year that as an NBA GM I would have a ton of questions about his ability to succeed in the NBA but they usually draft on talent and then let the non-hackers weed themselves out.  I think Romeo only barely dipped his toe into the college game this year.  Some of that may have been the injury but there is also some that I think is related to personality.  At times I think he played like he A)was not interested and B)was more concerned with getting a potential injury than in winning games.

I do not feel as an IU fan that I got the full "Romeo Experience".  He seems like a good kid and player but I never got the impression from him that he was committed to winning moreso than he was committed to protecting a potential NBA contract.  I do not know if that is fair or not but that was my impression.

That being said, I would not mind seeing a sophomore Romeo with something to prove as our starting SG next year.  I think he could be a phenomenal player but the motivation did just not appear to be there (which is what I would question as an NBA GM, his ability to stay self motivated.)

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Romeo is 50/50 on his future.  I normally do not have any insider information in regards to players, recruiting, etc.  However, one of my best friends lives down in the New Albany area and knows Romeos dad pretty well.   Last time they spoke(which was prior to the Big Ten Tourney), Romeo was 50/50 on his decision to stay or leave.  The dad said the decision will be solely up to Romeo on if he wants to leave for the draft or stay for another year just like they left it up to Romeo on him choosing what school he wanted to attend.  I believe the split is more 70(draft)/30(stay in school) IMO. 

Thanks for posting this dw. 

And this makes sense. Romeo knows he has areas of his game to improve, he knows he wasn't selected 1st team, he knows the team is NIT - bound, but he also knows he demonstrated his ability to be picked in the lottery, to provide for his and his family's future, that he can develop what he needs to develop in the NBA, etc.

I can see him coming back for another season, similar to Cody (who also had areas to improve on). I can also see him going pro and won't fault him either way. I'll be happy for him either way.

The flip side that people aren't considering, going late in the lottery you are closer to competing in the NBA (think Porter to the Nuggets). Even if you take a year of riding the bench on a competitive NBA team, when you are ready to contribute at a high level you may be on a playoff team in a better organization. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The flip side that people aren't considering, going late in the lottery you are closer to competing in the NBA (think Porter to the Nuggets). Even if you take a year of riding the bench on a competitive NBA team, when you are ready to contribute at a high level you may be on a playoff team in a better organization. 

while this is true, Porter has had pretty severe injuries ever since he has been in college

5 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I doubt he does.  He took his time announcing his college choice.  I would be shocked if he didn't do the same with this decision.  

Absolutely. He'll get direct feedback after he (likely) declares and participates in workouts, etc. He'll then be in position to make a fully informed decision.

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Absolutely. He'll get direct feedback after he (likely) declares and participates in workouts, etc. He'll then be in position to make a fully informed decision.

Did Bridges go through the process or did he just announce he was staying at MSU?

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think he just decided to return, surprising many. Everyone has their own decision to make.

I saw an interview  with Bridges he stated he wanted to play college basketball and be with his friends.  He said he was not ready to give up the college life and loved his teammates.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I saw an interview  with Bridges he stated he wanted to play college basketball and be with his friends.  He said he was not ready to give up the college life and loved his teammates. 

I'll be honest....this would factor in for me.  As much as the money, prestige, fame, etc that being a top NBA pick would bring.....being BMOC for another year is pretty damn sweet and not something that can be repeated. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said, everyone has their own decision/choices to make. 

So, unlike that MSU team, this team had chemistry issues that severely impacted the team. Some of it was likely jealousy directed at Romeo, we saw that in one dad's incredibly poorly considered public comments. The team rebounded from that, they seem to be playing with renewed enjoyment, but if we're talking about loving your teammates, well, that might matter. We all know the choices Romeo will have, including a guaranteed contract vs. the possibility of injury, etc. Romeo is the kind of kid who, from all accounts, will think his decision through well. 

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Like I said, everyone has their own decision/choices to make. 

So, unlike that MSU team, this team had chemistry issues that severely impacted the team. Some of it was likely jealousy directed at Romeo, we saw that in one dad's incredibly poorly considered public comments. The team rebounded from that, they seem to be playing with renewed enjoyment, but if we're talking about loving your teammates, well, that might matter. We all know the choices Romeo will have, including a guaranteed contract vs. the possibility of injury, etc. Romeo is the kind of kid who, from all accounts, will think his decision through well. 

I think most of us would agree that most of these kids probably can handle the on the court stuff of the NBA but where most are not ready is all the off the court situations.  Whether it is learning how to live on your own and handling your money and expenses and who you can trust with your money.  It is whether you can relate with your teammates that might be 10+ years older than you and when you are on the road if you can even socialize with your teammates.

Most recent mock draft released today has Rome0 at #10.  For the 2017-2018 draft, being selected at #10 gets the player $2.5 mill his first season.  Being drafted #5 gets the player #3.8 mill for his first season.  So really two things come to my mind:

If I am Romeo:

1.) If I am predicted come deadline to go no lower than 10th in the draft, do I develop another year at IU(become better and stronger and play with friends and college experience one more year) and pass up $2.5 mill minimum amount assuming I'm drafted 10th for my first year to develop and more than likely make the NCAA tournament with IU?

2.) If I am predicted come deadline to go no lower than 10th in the draft, do I take the very minimum of $2.5 mill my first season and try to develop while in the NBA? 

15 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I hope Romeo goes high in the draft because right now with Keion spurring us for UK, our recruiting  momentum has taken a big hit.

Romeo staying increases the likelihood of success next year, which also does wonders for recruiting momentum. 

Archived