Romeo Langford

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I hope Romeo goes high in the draft because right now with Keion spurring us for UK, our recruiting  momentum has taken a big hit.

How can you say that with certainty? One recruit decided not to come here and that equates to our entire recruiting mechanism falling off the rails? 

I’m skeptical.

It’s easy, in a time like this, to mix emotions. The last 3-4 weeks have been a true rollercoaster for IU fans. First, we’re dead to rights in terms of making the dance, then, improbably, we play ourselves back into the conversation, only to lay an egg, yet again, in the B10 tournament, against a team we should have beaten. The following day we lose on a recruit. There’s little to nothing to truly celebrate right now, but, this is not an indictment on the entirety of the program nor it’s direction.

I like to think that this year’s squad underachieved, but, at teams for very good reason. I wish it hadn’t coincided with the one year (likely) we’ll have Langford’s play. But, you can’t control injuries, and because of the injuries it was tough to ever battle test, set, and harden the roles of various players on the team. Likely leadership squabbles and indecisiveness took a toll here, too.

None of what has transpired, however, has shaken my confidence in the trajectory of the program. Archie has done more with less, once it’s an entire locker room full of his guys, once he has fully deployed his culture, top to bottom, I’ll expect objective, top end results.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

How can you say that with certainty? One recruit decided not to come here and that equates to our entire recruiting mechanism falling off the rails? 

I’m skeptical.

It’s easy, in a time like this, to mix emotions. The last 3-4 weeks have been a true rollercoaster for IU fans. First, we’re dead to rights in terms of making the dance, then, improbably, we play ourselves back into the conversation, only to lay an egg, yet again, in the B10 tournament, against a team we should have beaten. The following day we lose on a recruit. There’s little to nothing to truly celebrate right now, but, this is not an indictment on the entirety of the program nor it’s direction.

I like to think that this year’s squad underachieved, but, at teams for very good reason. I wish it hadn’t coincided with the one year (likely) we’ll have Langford’s play. But, you can’t control injuries, and because of the injuries it was tough to ever battle test, set, and harden the roles of various players on the team. Likely leadership squabbles and indecisiveness took a toll here, too.

None of what has transpired, however, has shaken my confidence in the trajectory of the program. Archie has done more with less, once it’s an entire locker room full of his guys, once he has fully deployed his culture, top to bottom, I’ll expect objective, top end results.

It seems like a hit because we were on Keion for so long with Schilling and TJD.  Momentum up then we start losing a bunch. Hopefully everything will work out. I’ve just been kind of down with Keion and the NIT . We had enough talent to be in the tournament. I’m still trying to move on lol.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Anyone who has a young boy should get them into baseball since the money is so great and the careers can be very long.

Plus injury risk is less than any other mainstream sport. 

Plus the specialization is higher.  If you can become really, really good at just one aspect,  your odds of staying on a roster are much better.

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Plus the specialization is higher.  If you can become really, really good at just one aspect,  your odds of staying on a roster are much better.

If you are a left hander relief pitcher you can pitch well into your 40's

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Can you put a dollar figure on being a 20 year old with no other responsibilities aside from playing ball and going to class?

It’s not 2.5 mil. Lol. He can be 20, go pro and his only responsibility will be playing ball and getting better. His college is free if he wants to come back later. He will make more in 1 year than most people make in a career. He can have his bills on auto pay. Dude will be a millionaire who literally only has to play ball, which is his passion. 

I fully don’t understand the crowd that says he shouldn’t go pro and needs to develop. The NBA has and will always draft on potential. Sure, there are players that come in and make huge contributions as a rookie, but it’s not the expectation these teams have. Romeo would have millions in his pocket and working on his game non stop, without the distraction of class or playing under the microscope of hometown hero at IU. We all have on crimson glasses. That’s why we’re on an IU board. But guaranteed millions is TOUGH to pass up. I’m guessing he’s gone. And if I was his advisor, I’d encourage him to go if he’s lottery. 

16 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Plus height isn't nearly the limiting factor is it in basketball

Plus baseball has taken a popularity dip with youngsters so some/many? of the more athletic kids may choose basketball/football leaving a less athletic pool of players to compete with

50 minutes ago, Ib4IU said:

I fully don’t understand the crowd that says he shouldn’t go pro and needs to develop. The NBA has and will always draft on potential. Sure, there are players that come in and make huge contributions as a rookie, but it’s not the expectation these teams have. Romeo would have millions in his pocket and working on his game non stop, without the distraction of class or playing under the microscope of hometown hero at IU. We all have on crimson glasses. That’s why we’re on an IU board. But guaranteed millions is TOUGH to pass up. I’m guessing he’s gone. And if I was his advisor, I’d encourage him to go if he’s lottery. 

Maybe Romeo should read this article about a fellow IU student athlete:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/03/19/lilly-king-fulfills-promise-iu-swimming-begin-pro-career-soon/3201182002/

Go Hoosiers!!!

On 3/19/2019 at 9:53 AM, dwtaylor1055 said:

Most recent mock draft released today has Rome0 at #10.  For the 2017-2018 draft, being selected at #10 gets the player $2.5 mill his first season.  Being drafted #5 gets the player #3.8 mill for his first season.  So really two things come to my mind:

If I am Romeo:

1.) If I am predicted come deadline to go no lower than 10th in the draft, do I develop another year at IU(become better and stronger and play with friends and college experience one more year) and pass up $2.5 mill minimum amount assuming I'm drafted 10th for my first year to develop and more than likely make the NCAA tournament with IU?

2.) If I am predicted come deadline to go no lower than 10th in the draft, do I take the very minimum of $2.5 mill my first season and try to develop while in the NBA? 

Even the math say go now. (2. 5 + 2.5) >> 3.8.   I am not factoring in the uptick based raises which helps both sides of the equation.    Yeh eventually (maybe after year 3) it will reverse but you also get to that 2nd contract quicker.   

4 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

I get it. But we’re talking vastly different sums of money. I hope he stays. I just don’t expect him too

4 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

Even the math say go now. (2. 5 + 2.5) >> 3.8.   I am not factoring in the uptick based raises which helps both sides of the equation.    Yeh eventually (maybe after year 3) it will reverse but you also get to that 2nd contract quicker.   

I've always used those arguments as well, but more and more I think you have to consider a few other things:

1. The Miles Bridges non-financial effect...a kid may be enjoying college and his friends so much that money is not his primary motivator.  He may simply not feel ready to leave.
  2. The building your brand effect...exposure is just so much better in the NCAA than in the G League and especially if you give a fanbase enough time to get attached to you.
  3. The building your game more completely so you can stick in the league effect.  Let's face it...there are a lot of examples of players who left too quick and washed out when an extra year or two may have given them a better chance to stick at the top level rather than languishing in the G league never really getting noticed.  A more well-rounded game of a more mature player has less chance of getting exposed early. (...and yes, @BGleas, I can already hear your counter-argument to this. :P)

Sure, players like Zion just need to go and barring injury, he should stick regardless, but there are a lot of other young players that might benefit more from additional experience before they take the plunge and/or they may simply want another year or two to enjoy themselves and grow up.

Conventional wisdom is that he's gone, but I can make a case for staying as well.

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I've always used those arguments as well, but more and more I think you have to consider a few other things:

1. The Miles Bridges non-financial effect...a kid may be enjoying college and his friends so much that money is not his primary motivator.  He may simply not feel ready to leave.
  2. The building your brand effect...exposure is just so much better in the NCAA than in the G League and especially if you give a fanbase enough time to get attached to you.
  3. The building your game more completely so you can stick in the league effect.  Let's face it...there are a lot of examples of players who left too quick and washed out when an extra year or two may have given them a better chance to stick at the top level rather than languishing in the G league never really getting noticed.  A more well-rounded game of a more mature player has less chance of getting exposed early. (...and yes, @BGleas, I can already hear your counter-argument to this. :P)

Sure, players like Zion just need to go and barring injury, he should stick regardless, but there are a lot of other young players that might benefit more from additional experience before they take the plunge and/or they may simply want another year or two to enjoy themselves and grow up.

Conventional wisdom is that he's gone, but I can make a case for staying as well.

If I knew how to drop a GIF in here I'd be posting a Jump To Conclusions Mat GIF from Office Space 😀!

While typically I do think the training is better in the NBA and that players can work on their weaknesses better in the NBA than in college, my posts on Langford are just the opposite. While of course it is certainly reasonably to expect him to jump to the NBA and it would make a ton of sense, Langford is one case where I actually think another year could help his draft stock. 

Before I move on, let me get the disclaimer out of the way: I think Langford is a fantastic player. He's elite. He's really, really good and he had an outstanding freshmen season. He's a great ambassador on/off the court for IU. 

With that said, he does have weaknesses in his game that he needs to work on, as all players do. Most of his weaknesses (perimeter shooting, ball handling, left hand, etc.) I do think would improve quicker in the NBA. But, there is one weakness that I think it would serve him well to return to school and showcase improvement next season. I think he could use work on his leadership and let's call it "Mamba Mentality". He sometimes takes a back seat or disappears, etc., and to truely be great in the NBA you almost have to have that edge/grit to rise up when your team needs it most. We're talking the difference between really, really good and great. 

I think if Langford came back with a more consistent jumper, better left hand, but most importantly had a season where he was a true leader, was dominant, and had an AA/Big Ten POY type season where he really led the team, that he could work his way into a top 5 or maybe even top 3 pick. There is a big difference in money between 10 and 3. 

This is all coming from someone who typically believes going to the NBA is the better option for improvement. But, I just don't think he can work on the "Mamba Mentality" in the NBA as a rookie. 

Archived