Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Inequality said:

Don’t read a whole lot into that particularly. The surgery has been on will call for a good while now.

I think Romeo's comments are telling and in line with what BGleas said. Romeo's remarks sound prepared, basically saying that the knock on him is shooting, but his shooting was affected by his injury. Still had a good season even with the injury, and he's having surgery on the injury, which will/could keep him from working out for teams.

It make me wonder if he considered the fact that Garland looks to have climbed the draft board being out due to injury, while he has fallen on the draft board because he played through an injury that impacted his shooting while still putting up pretty nice numbers.

23 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I think Romeo's comments are telling and in line with what BGleas said. Romeo's remarks sound prepared, basically saying that the knock on him is shooting, but his shooting was affected by his injury. Still had a good season even with the injury, and he's having surgery on the injury, which will/could keep him from working out for teams.

It make me wonder if he considered the fact that Garland looks to have climbed the draft board being out due to injury, while he has fallen on the draft board because he played through an injury that impacted his shooting while still putting up pretty nice numbers.

Garland is so high because multiple top 10 teams are in need of a point guard

49 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Don’t read a whole lot into that particularly. The surgery has been on will call for a good while now.

My point was that if there was a chance feedback could cause him to return, then I would think he would hold off on surgery so that he could participate in workouts. From what it sounds like he's moving forward with surgery, which would mean sitting out the workout process most likely. If he's not worried about the workout process then that leads me to believe the decision is locked in. 

1 hour ago, HoosierKix said:

Not to get hopes up but I don’t see a report to where he has signed an agent at all, anyone see any report on if he has or plans to at this time?

Not that I think he is coming back but.....

I believe they changed the rules this year in that you can now sign with an agent but still go back to college.

3 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Not that I think he is coming back but.....

I believe they changed the rules this year in that you can now sign with an agent but still go back to college.

Correct.  I think that gives IU a 0.000000001% chance of seeing Romeo play a second year.

Do you need to officially declare for the draft AFTER a certain date?

I ask because Romeo said, "I plan on officially declaring for the draft next week." Didn't he just declare it? Is there an official process for a declaration? 

I wonder if Archie asked him to push his decision up so he had a better shot with players like Trendon Watford who want a more prominent role. 

20 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I ask because Romeo said, "I plan on officially declaring for the draft next week." Didn't he just declare it? Is there an official process for a declaration? 

I wonder if Archie asked him to push his decision up so he had a better shot with players like Trendon Watford who want a more prominent role. 

You have to formally put your name in the draft process. Tons of players will do that. Morgan did it last year....So did Eastern for Purdue.

Players can also now hire an agent without it impacting their college eligibility....so no point in trying to read tea leaves with that either.

Only date that matters is the date you have to pull your name out of the draft. That's some point in late May. The rest of this is just a big nothing. 

29 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Before April 20th to declare.

I was hoping he’d stay, but I’m glad he came. I’m glad he confirmed all the rumors I was hearing about the thumb. Most IU fans who were very critical of his shot, never saw what we saw in New Albany for 4 years.. I think that without all the injuries, this would have been a really good season. Archie would have been a hero in year 2 instead of nearing the hot seat’s edge. Along with Scott May, Alan Henderson, and many others, what could have been... we’ll never know.

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

The only reason for Romeo to comeback would me personal reason! Maybe a sense of unfinished business and pride. Problem is he will have serveral million reasons to go pro! 

Exactly my thoughts. I do think he could improve his draft stock by coming back and really becoming an alpha like you see from so many other players. I think he could improve his shot as well. But he could work on all of that at the next level while making millions and focusing on basketball full time.

Was Cody Zeller a projected lottery pick after his freshman year?

3 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

Exactly my thoughts. I do think he could improve his draft stock by coming back and really becoming an alpha like you see from so many other players. I think he could improve his shot as well. But he could work on all of that at the next level while making millions and focusing on basketball full time.

Was Cody Zeller a projected lottery pick after his freshman year?

Yes he was. I remember seeing him in the 7 range. 

3 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

Honest question...

Are there any real legitimate reasons for him to come back for a second year? Outside of "helping get IU back to the tourney" and "building his IU legacy," what are some actual reasons to come back?

Two reasons...

1. Sharpen your game to improve your chance of sticking when you get there. 

2.  Build your brand on a big stage and strengthen ties with a large IU fanbase (think Oladioo and Zeller vs. Noah Vonleh).

Don't get me wrong...I think Romeo is going to be fine regardless, but it's not like there's no reason to stay. 

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Two reasons...

1. Sharpen your game to improve your chance of sticking when you get there. 

2.  Build your brand on a big stage and strengthen ties with a large IU fanbase (think Oladipo and Zeller vs. Noah Vonleh).

Don't get me wrong...I think Romeo is going to be fine regardless, but it's not like there's no reason to stay. 

1.) The NBA will sharpen your game as much, or more, than college. And you'll make money doing it. The NBA drafts on potential in many cases. They understand kids needing to develop. Which is why Jalen Brunson got drafted late, and some other guy you probably rarely heard of got drafted in the first round. The guy you never heard of probably had a great vertical, +6" wingspan, agile, etc.

2.) Oladipo HAD to stay because he just wasn't going to get drafted high until his junior year. And the second both he and Zeller saw their chance, they left. Which is what 99.9% of kids are going to do.

Romeo is going to either make it or he's not. And if he doesn't, it's not because he left college after 1 year. It's because he just didn't have the makeup for the NBA. If he doesn't make it with the team who drafted him, there will be plenty other opportunities/teams that want to give him a shot.

Archived