Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Two reasons...

1. Sharpen your game to improve your chance of sticking when you get there. 

2.  Build your brand on a big stage and strengthen ties with a large IU fanbase (think Oladioo and Zeller vs. Noah Vonleh).

Don't get me wrong...I think Romeo is going to be fine regardless, but it's not like there's no reason to stay. 

I really hope he doesn't turn into Vonleh Jr...more or less irrelevant in the NBA and an afterthought with IU fans.

11 hours ago, rico said:

A lot of this stuff is moot.  Romeo is going...we just need to step back and start speculating what team he will end up with.

I wouldn't mind seeing him with the Pacers, but I don't think they have any way they could move up to get him without giving up too much.

On 4/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, T-Free20 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing him with the Pacers, but I don't think they have any way they could move up to get him without giving up too much.

Or if he fell to them, they'd take Tyler Herro instead (like when they took Leaf over OG). 🤢

4 hours ago, cybergates said:

Or if he fell to them, they'd take Tyler Herro instead (like when they took Leaf over OG). 🤢

Yeah I don't know what the logic behind their draft picks has been, but it seems like they always take a white guy that ends up not really being worth a 1st round pick...

TJ Leaf, Miles Plumlee, Tyler Hansbrough, Austin Croshere, Scott Haskin.

25 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Yeah I don't know what the logic behind their draft picks has been, but it seems like they always take a white guy that ends up not really being worth a 1st round pick...

TJ Leaf, Miles Plumlee, Tyler Hansbrough, Austin Croshere, Scott Haskin.

They took Reggie Miller over the White IU guy Steve Alford and that was the right pick....just saying not always bad...and Croshere and Plumlee were and are pretty decent. Guess they shouldn’t have traded for Sabonis or signed Bogdonivich who is there best scorer either. They hit on some and miss but there isn’t an alterior motive I’m pretty convinced. Rik Smitts wasn’t too bad either.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They took Reggie Miller over the White IU guy Steve Alford and that was the right pick....just saying not always bad...and Croshere and Plumlee were and are pretty decent. Guess they shouldn’t have traded for Sabonis or signed Bogdonivich who is there best scorer either. They hit on some and miss but there isn’t an alterior motive I’m pretty convinced. Rik Smitts wasn’t too bad either.

That Paul George guy didn't turn out half bad either.

8 minutes ago, Feathery said:

That’s a bit misleading. They had the trade with the Spurs already lined up. The Spurs told them to take Kawi and then they would trade Hill. 

Everyone knows that...fact is they still could have had Kawi instead of Hill. Imagine Leonard and George 1-2 punch!

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Everyone knows that...fact is they still could have had Kawi instead of Hill. Imagine Leonard and George 1-2 punch!

You can do that same exercise with almost any team, in any draft. There are busts in every draft and there are guys who pan out who are drafted late. 

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I never said anything about trades or free agent signings so not sure why you threw that out there, but ok.

You're right, they haven't always been bad, but they haven't always been good either.

Croshere was the #12 pick overall and averaged 6.8ppg for his career. Plumlee was #26 overall so that was just a flyer pick, but we passed on Draymond Green and Jae Crowder.

30 minutes ago, Feathery said:

You can do that same exercise with almost any team, in any draft. There are busts in every draft and there are guys who pan out who are drafted late. 

Exactly...which is why the guys saying all the Pacers do is draft white guys that don’t work out was dumb.

2 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

I never said anything about trades or free agent signings so not sure why you threw that out there, but ok.

You're right, they haven't always been bad, but they haven't always been good either.

Croshere was the #12 pick overall and averaged 6.8ppg for his career. Plumlee was #26 overall so that was just a flyer pick, but we passed on Draymond Green and Jae Crowder.

Hindsight is always 20-20. Nobody considered Green a cant miss prospect either.

5 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

True, he lucked out and ended up in a perfect situation with Golden State where he wasn't the focal point.

Exactly. The team that drafts you, the players, coaching style and management of that team, often play a major part in whether or how much a player is successful.

Just look at Vic (among many examples). Pretty good at Orlando, but terribly managed, coaching changes leading to him being moved between backup and starter, a new chance in OKC but could not play well off-ball next to Westbrook with Westbrook's ball-dominant game and ended up having at best a mediocre experience there, to star of the Pacers in the perfect system and surrounding players, for his game. There are all kinds of such examples. Fit is a real key.

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Exactly. The team that drafts you, the players, coaching style and management of that team, often play a major part in whether or how much a player is successful.

Just look at Vic (among many examples). Pretty good at Orlando, but terribly managed, coaching changes leading to him being moved between backup and starter, a new chance in OKC but could not play well off-ball next to Westbrook with Westbrook's ball-dominant game and ended up having at best a mediocre experience there, to star of the Pacers in the perfect system and surrounding players, for his game. There are all kinds of such examples. Fit is a real key.

Going back to Green, he also wasn't thrust immediately into a starting/heavily contributing role.  He didn't become a regular starter until his 3rd year.  That gave him time to develop his outside shooting, which wasn't his strength coming in. That was key.

Vic being the 2nd overall pick didn't have that luxury.  He didn't have very many speed bumps, but there was a learning curve his first few years.

11 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Very true. I liked Greens game in college but did not think it would transfer to the NBA to the extent it has.

I always thought that Draymond landed in the perfect spot for him. Not asked to score a lot, but do the little things and be a vocal leader.

Not sure he would be as successful as he's been on another team.

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I always thought that Draymond landed in the perfect spot for him. Not asked to score a lot, but do the little things and be a vocal leader.

Not sure he would be as successful as he's been on another team.

Absolutely.  Doesn't matter what spot you get drafted, your basketball success usually depends on what team takes you.

8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Going back to Green, he also wasn't thrust immediately into a starting/heavily contributing role.  He didn't become a regular starter until his 3rd year.  That gave him time to develop his outside shooting, which wasn't his strength coming in. That was key.

Vic being the 2nd overall pick didn't have that luxury.  He didn't have very many speed bumps, but there was a learning curve his first few years.

That and Draymond has never been, and could not be, a star or franchise player. He’s been a strong all-around player on a team of stats - the focus is on guys like Curry, Klay, etc. He does the dirty work (including years of kicking players in the nads - he’s a dirty player). 

Archived