Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fan base, accepting that Romeo is an honorable young man could actually play a small part in deciding where he wants to go.  Implying that he and/or his family are playing games and stringing IU along are not going to help the Hoosier cause.  

So, until he makes a decision, I propose we take what he says and embrace it as fact..  Even if he ultimately does decide on Vandy or Kansas, that does not mean that he was playing IU the whole time.  It simply means that whatever the deciding factor was, one of those schools came out ahead.  

I find it ironic how,as a fan base, we can celebrate what Eric Gordon and his family did to Illinois, yet we line up early to tear apart other kids and families just because they decide somewhere else is a better fit for them than IU.   

Continuing the rant.  As far as to 'why' Romeo has not watched IU yet.  Let's make the assumption that since there was a coaching change at IU, the Langfords told Archie that style of play would be an important factor in Romeo's decision.  Maybe, just maybe, Archie then asked the Langfords not to base anything off what they see from IU in November, but base it off what they see in February instead.  A perfectly logical explanation, but yet a lot of our fan base assume, since he has not watched the Hoosiers, that means IU is out of the picture and he is stringing IU along.

^^^ All I am saying.... as I have said many times before..... these are kids.   Subject to changing their minds time and again.  It is not a matter of trust, nor a desire to deceive,  but rather understanding that at that age, what is said today, is not necessarily what will come out of their mouths tomorrow, much less what they eventually will decide to do.

In that context, as with  Jeffries years ago,  if we have not learned anything about any recruitment, then we have not learned anything at all

Mile.  Agree.  These are kids.  That said, Romeo is not just 'a' kid.  He's a quality young man with a lot of respect for those around him.  He''s not the Cliff Alexander type  of kid that is going to pick up the  Illinois cap, only to toss it aside and put on the Kansas hat instead. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Mile.  Agree.  These are kids.  That said, Romeo is not just 'a' kid.  He's a quality young man with a lot of respect for those around him.  He''s not the Cliff Alexander type  of kid that is going to pick up the  Illinois cap, only to toss it aside and put on the Kansas hat instead. 

Agree, people need to relax and respect the way he’s handled himself. IMO, the fact that IU is in the mix AND he wants to wait until spring, just shows...again, my opinion...that he wants to go to IU, but he does need to make a smart decision. And the smart thing to do, is see Archie’s style. See how he plays the SG. See the product before buying it. Most people wouldn’t buy a car if all they knew was that it was going to have all the bells and whistles...they’re going to want to see it and drive it first. 

8 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Anybody else 45% worried that Romeo has already secretly committed to the highest bidder, and that Indiana is "still being considered" so that the Indiana hype will stay high through the end of his Mr. Basketball season?  Could explain why his dad has always been big on committing so late.  

I suppose that it's possible but there is no way to know that now, and likely there will be no way to know that in the future. Just got to take them at their word until given a reason not to.

5 hours ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Anybody else 45% worried that Romeo has already secretly committed to the highest bidder, and that Indiana is "still being considered" so that the Indiana hype will stay high through the end of his Mr. Basketball season?  Could explain why his dad has always been big on committing so late.  

I have always felt that early committ meant IU late somewhere else.   I hope i am wrong but as long as IU is in the picture every high school game will be sold out.  He has an opportunity to reach legendary status but in my opinion if he goes out of state he will be forgotten.   What was thst guy from fort wayne that was chasing Damons record.  He went to OSU  umm oh yeah Desean Thomas.  If Romeo wants to be a ole what was his name then go out of state. Want to be remembered forever there is only 1 choice.

52 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

Heard that IU has not contacted Romeo recently. Vanderbilt and Kansas are staying in contact but IU is not. Source told me from what he heard that Romeo is leaning towards IU but is confused as to why Archie hasn't talked to him.

That's funny

56 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

Heard that IU has not contacted Romeo recently. Vanderbilt and Kansas are staying in contact but IU is not. Source told me from what he heard that Romeo is leaning towards IU but is confused as to why Archie hasn't talked to him.

How much do you trust this "source."

1 hour ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

Not buying this one sorry. Thanks for bring it here, just not buying it. The first player Archie went to see the day after he was hired and we stop calling? the most important recruit in 30 years and we stop calling? You could have said the Langfords stopped picking up the phone but not IU has stopped calling.

1 hour ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

Seems I read in one of the articles recently that Romeo's father put strict limits on the amount of contact the three finalists can have with Romeo right now, so I'm not sure I buy that. 

I also don't buy the idea that Romeo is waiting so that he doesn't have to deal with IU fans. New Albany is practically on the border and I would bet there are at least as many and likely more UofL and UK fans in the area than IU fans and it's not like he would be the first Mr. Basketball to leave the state recently. In fact the lack of any blowback on any of the other recent players who have left the state suggests that is an even less likely reason to wait. 

25 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

Seems I read in one of the articles recently that Romeo's father put strict limits on the amount of contact the three finalists can have with Romeo right now, so I'm not sure I buy that. 

I also don't buy the idea that Romeo is waiting so that he doesn't have to deal with IU fans. New Albany is practically on the border and I would bet there are at least as many and likely more UofL and UK fans in the area than IU fans and it's not like he would be the first Mr. Basketball to leave the state recently. In fact the lack of any blowback on any of the other recent players who have left the state suggests that is an even less likely reason to wait. 

There is a huge difference between being Mr Basketball and catching an Indiana legend like Damon.  When the best players in state committ to IU our fans follow and get out to see them in high school.  I once drove 3 hours to see Luke Recker play after he committed and there were a ton of people wearing IU gear.

In Southern Indiana the people will follow him and his career no matter where he goes but if he goes to IU rest of the state will follow.

12 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Isn't this at least the second time @Southern IN Hoosier has done this on our message board? First time he said Garland was at a Vandy game, which was 100% untrue? Sorry if I'm mistaken. Regardless though, this quote sounds unfounded.

I am just going off what I hear from a couple sources that are from New Albany and close to the Langford's. Just giving my $0.02, my fault guys.

4 hours ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

Not true.  Don't believe it.  IU is and has been on a regularly scheduled contact program with the Langford's.

Archived