Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Zewak45 said:

I feel for Romeo because you already have those people labeling him as a bust for this and saying he should of stayed in school. I am rooting for him and I knew that when Boston drafted carsen there would be those loud purdue fans that are laughing at this but he obviously has had injuries and the wing depth with the celtics is tough.

Last week, as the Boston Celtics prepared for the Milwaukee Bucks, they turned to a 20-year-old to imitate Bucks superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo.

It turned out to be one of the best practice days rookie guard Romeo Langford has had in a Celtics uniform, according to Brad Stevens.

“I thought it was his best day, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it was the day with the most reps,” Stevens said. “So I just think he needs reps. We think he could really help us, and this is the first step to doing that, I think.”

Stevens was referencing the team’s decision to send Langford to the G-League for the time being in order to keep the rookie on the court. Langford has had a tough start to his rookie season through no fault of his own. First, Langford missed Summer League as he recovered from thumb surgery in April. Then he tweaked his groin at the start of training camp, forcing him to sit for another stretch. When he returned, he slipped on a wet spot and went down awkwardly -- spraining his knee and causing him to miss the start of the season.

“I think the biggest thing was we were just weighing, is it better to go practice for a full week, get ready to play, or is it better to be available for really, really spotty minutes?” Stevens said. “And it just makes sense based on the amount of time he missed early on. And then the knee thing happening and then he missed more time. So we just need him to get as many reps as possible.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/11/boston-celtics-rookie-romeo-langford-heads-to-maine-after-shining-for-celtics-as-giannis-antetokounmpo-in-practice.html

On 11/4/2019 at 5:21 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

Last week, as the Boston Celtics prepared for the Milwaukee Bucks, they turned to a 20-year-old to imitate Bucks superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo.

It turned out to be one of the best practice days rookie guard Romeo Langford has had in a Celtics uniform, according to Brad Stevens.

“I thought it was his best day, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it was the day with the most reps,” Stevens said. “So I just think he needs reps. We think he could really help us, and this is the first step to doing that, I think.”

Stevens was referencing the team’s decision to send Langford to the G-League for the time being in order to keep the rookie on the court. Langford has had a tough start to his rookie season through no fault of his own. First, Langford missed Summer League as he recovered from thumb surgery in April. Then he tweaked his groin at the start of training camp, forcing him to sit for another stretch. When he returned, he slipped on a wet spot and went down awkwardly -- spraining his knee and causing him to miss the start of the season.

“I think the biggest thing was we were just weighing, is it better to go practice for a full week, get ready to play, or is it better to be available for really, really spotty minutes?” Stevens said. “And it just makes sense based on the amount of time he missed early on. And then the knee thing happening and then he missed more time. So we just need him to get as many reps as possible.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/11/boston-celtics-rookie-romeo-langford-heads-to-maine-after-shining-for-celtics-as-giannis-antetokounmpo-in-practice.html

Romeo has the potential to be special. Really special. That said the kid is snake bitten with injuries. Don’t know if he is just fragile or what but he has battled injury problems since I have followed him.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:51 PM, dgambill said:

Romeo has the potential to be special. Really special. That said the kid is snake bitten with injuries. Don’t know if he is just fragile or what but he has battled injury problems since I have followed him.

Man I thought you were talkin' about Penix...….. until I noticed the thread title   🙄

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Yep.  Hurt again in his first game back.  Kid's on his way to being a bust if he can't find a way to stay healthy.

The next NBA Bill Walton.  Always injured.

Chris Grenham on Twitter: "Here's the drive where Langford appeared to injured his ankle. Was helped off the floor following the play. Had 14 points in 17 minutes before the injury.… https://t.co/ipXfpSN54q"

Was looking good, prior to the injury :

Romeo Langford 14 Pts vs Long Island | Went down with Ankle Injury | 12.1.19

OK. EJ as but one of many examples, dealt with injuries in his early NBA career and is now a key piece/scorer for the Rockets. 

Spraining an ankle does not make you a piece of glass, unfortunately, it happens and sometimes a guy just has unlucky breaks (no pun intended). Romeo played through a torn ligament for basically a full season.

He's a tough kid. I'm sure he'll get healthy and will earn his playing time at some point.

In that regard, The C's bench is now the second lowest/worst scoring bench in the League (using points per game). Edwards' shooting has reverted. Romeo can score, the C's are very good this year, but not in bench scoring, that's a weakness. Whether Romeo can get healthy and contribute / get real playing time this season with the C's remains to be seen, but imo, Stevens would be stupid not to use Romeo once he's healthy.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

OK. EJ as but one of many examples, dealt with injuries in his early NBA career and is now a key piece/scorer for the Rockets. 

Spraining an ankle does not make you a piece of glass, unfortunately, it happens and sometimes a guy just has unlucky breaks (no pun intended). Romeo played through a torn ligament for basically a full season.

He's a tough kid. I'm sure he'll get healthy and will earn his playing time at some point.

In that regard, The C's bench is now the second lowest/worst scoring bench in the League (using points per game). Edwards' shooting has reverted. Romeo can score, the C's are very good this year, but not in bench scoring, that's a weakness. Whether Romeo can get healthy and contribute / get real playing time this season with the C's remains to be seen, but imo, Stevens would be stupid not to use Romeo once he's healthy.

The only thing I would pause on with Stevens here is that we all know the NBA is a veterans league. While maybe not the favorite, the Celtics are one of 3-5 teams that have a legit shot to come out of the East or at least make the ECF. Both Tatum and Brown are really thriving, and before his injury, which he'll be back from soon, Hayward was playing at an all-star level. 

The reason I bring that all up, is that you can't really blame Stevens for not throwing a rookie out there who has missed half the season (including summer league, training camp and preseason) on a team that's positioning itself for seeding and a playoff run. It's really too bad that these ankle injuries have crept up, because this time with Hayward out would have been the ideal time to get Langford some run. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The only thing I would pause on with Stevens here is that we all know the NBA is a veterans league. While maybe not the favorite, the Celtics are one of 3-5 teams that have a legit shot to come out of the East or at least make the ECF. Both Tatum and Brown are really thriving, and before his injury, which he'll be back from soon, Hayward was playing at an all-star level. 

The reason I bring that all up, is that you can't really blame Stevens for not throwing a rookie out there who has missed half the season (including summer league, training camp and preseason) on a team that's positioning itself for seeding and a playoff run. It's really too bad that these ankle injuries have crept up, because this time with Hayward out would have been the ideal time to get Langford some run. 

Yes good points, but we’re talking the C’s bench and well, while they play different positions, Stevens is playing Edwards, who isn’t exactly shooting lights out, and is one of the reasons the C’s bench is not scoring well 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes good points, but we’re talking the C’s bench and well, while they play different positions, Stevens is playing Edwards, who isn’t exactly shooting lights out, and is one of the reasons the C’s bench is not scoring well 

His minutes were dropping though until Hayward went out. They spiked back up a bit the first few games Hayward missed, but then have been pretty inconsistent since. He's played under double-digit minutes in 2 of the last 4 games. Definitely an opportunity for Langford to steal some minutes there if he can ever get healthy. I actually think if Langford had been able to get healthy the last couple of weeks, I think we'd see Edwards dropped down to Maine. There have been calls for it. 

Archived