Romeo Langford

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know anyone close to the situation but is the general consensus that Romeo is Vandy/Kansas because of his tweets? Or is there some more information? Dakich floated something out on Wednesday about Romeo's Dad/AAU program hearing Kansas but wanted to know where this was coming from?

Kid that special is going to win Mr Indiana no matter the hate. No reason to keep us on the list this long if he truly is headed elsewhere.

I look at it this way.  I personally think that IU has been kept on the list because the Langford's are looking for a reason to choose IU.  Now, performances like ISU, Fort Wayne, and Wisconsin are not particularly good selling points.  But, a strong finish to the season, that clearly demonstrates that Archie's plan is taking root and will work, would have the opposite effect.  They would help to make IU more attractive again.

Skeptics may say that IU's only on the list to save him from ridicule from IU fans during his high school season.  I disagree with that because I don't think the Langford's operate that way.

In my opinion, you can't ask for a more humble, respectful, and level-headed young man, elite athlete or not.  I saw the kid play live again yesterday, and the way he carries himself on the court is a breath of fresh air in today's me-first world.  The team I was rooting for lost to his yesterday, but I walked away from the game  feeling it was an honor to see him play, even though I've had that privilege multiple times before.

I know I'll root for the young man whether he goes to IU, Kansas, Vandy, or joins the Russian National team.   

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen nothing like this since Damon Bailey after the publication of Season on the Brink.  Doyel is spot on with the comparison.  Although everyone seems to have him being recruited to Vandy and Kansas due to friends recruiting him, let's not discount Bailey having something to do with his recruitment either.  Seems like a great young man and I like that he seems to be well grounded due to his family and upbringing.  Would love to see a story book IU recruitment here.  Only Romeo and/or his dad know for now.  Either way, love to see a fine young man like him be successful no matter where he ends up.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ohh... wow. They're both elite shooters?.. That's nearly it. 

Granted, this is entirely speculative, as I’ve never even seen the kid play.  But it sounds like they’re both athletic, effortless scorers (Romeo even moreso), not particularly strong defenders (although I  have to think Romeo is better on D), and don’t necessarily have alpha dog/high motor/leader personalities.  But like I said, I could be totally wrong about this.

38 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Granted, this is entirely speculative, as I’ve never even seen the kid play.  But it sounds like they’re both athletic, effortless scorers (Romeo even moreso), not particularly strong defenders (although I  have to think Romeo is better on D), and don’t necessarily have alpha dog/high motor/leader personalities.  But like I said, I could be totally wrong about this.

Romeo is a good defender, and a willing one.  Romeo is absolutely an alpha dog. Truly two different players. Also.. RL is a big time finisher, something JB was not. 

12 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

From everything I’ve read and heard, it sounds like Romeo and Blackmon share a lot of similarities.

Not even comparable, maybe shooting and that is it.  Romeo is heads and shoulders better than Blackmon.  There hasn't been a player coming out of Indiana since maybe Gordon in '07 that has been near as good or good.  We get Romeo, we will automatically be considered BIG ten title contenders possible favorites (similar to Gordon) - that is how good he is, and don't sleep on Jerome Hunter - this kid has the potential to be a stud/ NBA caliber player and starter next year for us. 

3 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

and don't sleep on Jerome Hunter - this kid has the potential to be a stud/ NBA caliber player and starter next year for us. 

Not to turn the thread, but this is what I don't get. Everyone is throwing out the Vandy class like it's Langford's only opportunity to be part of a great class. Granted, IU's doesn't have 2 other Burger Boys, but IU's class is a really good class, and actually has a perfect opening for Langford in terms of how he fits in. 

If I'm Archie, beyond the 'be an Indiana legend' angle, I'm pitching that Hunter is a stud, Phinisee (a pure pg) is a better fit for his game than Garland, that Anderson and Smith are shooters who will help spread the floor for him, and that he'd be better off playing alongside a senior Morgan on the inside who already has the game figured out over a freshmen Shittu.

Next year's team will be inexperienced which will hold it back a bit, especially at the guard spot, but in terms of pure talent the only real missing piece (beside a backup 5) is a pure scoring, bucket-getter on the wing. That's Langford to a T. 

Beyond the legend stuff, it really is the best spot too in terms of fit (IMO), but for some reason that point never gets brought up for IU?!?!

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not to turn the thread, but this is what I don't get. Everyone is throwing out the Vandy class like it's Langford's only opportunity to be part of a great class. Granted, IU's doesn't have 2 other Burger Boys, but IU's class is a really good class, and actually has a perfect opening for Langford in terms of how he fits in. 

If I'm Archie, beyond the 'be an Indiana legend' angle, I'm pitching that Hunter is a stud, Phinisee (a pure pg) is a better fit for his game than Garland, that Anderson and Smith are shooters who will help spread the floor for him, and that he'd be better off playing alongside a senior Morgan on the inside who already has the game figured out over a freshmen Shittu.

Next year's team will be inexperienced which will hold it back a bit, especially at the guard spot, but in terms of pure talent the only real missing piece (beside a backup 5) is a pure scoring, bucket-getter on the wing. That's Langford to a T. 

Beyond the legend stuff, it really is the best spot too in terms of fit (IMO), but for some reason that point never gets brought up for IU?!?!

Great point about Phinisee vs Garland. Garland is going to look for his shot MUCH more than Phinisee, with Phinisee being a pass first PG. Fits Romeo much better.

16 minutes ago, ephul said:

Great point about Phinisee vs Garland. Garland is going to look for his shot MUCH more than Phinisee, with Phinisee being a pass first PG. Fits Romeo much better.

Or would having Garland and Shittu open the floor a lot more allowing him more room to work?

This scouting report says Garland is a pass first guard who looks to get his teammates involved.  "Plays a refreshing brand of basketball, as a team first, pass first player."

I think Phinisee will be really good for us and is our PG to build around, but for next year as a wing I'd play with Garland 10 times out of 10.

I think people are listening to the wrong sources in the Romeo recruitment.

Darius Garland send a tweet saying 'join me', and suddenly Romeo is going to drop all other suitors and go to Vandy?  That's not the way things work.

Romeo's story regarding IU is still to be told.  And, the plot will be based on the rest of this basketball season.  And, no, that does not mean we won't get him if/when we miss the tournament.    It's whether the product on the floor shows positive signs for the future or not. 

Just now, Leathernecks said:

That's easy for us to say.  We're IU fans, and the decision has no bearing on our lives.  Much different when you're the one who actually has to make the decision.

I know.  I was trying to show Romeo that someone as smart, as successful, and as good-looking as myself, would always choose Indiana.  

On 1/9/2018 at 2:47 AM, BGleas said:

Such a good post. 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't see how this would make a difference either way.

Let's assume there are 4-5 main factors in recruiting. Playing time, player development, coverage/tv/exposure, fans, and facilities are typically the normal ones. If all things remain equal after those? Could come down to any number of small little things like a head coach showing up vs sending an assistant. Probably doesn't mean much to us but  to a player and family? Could be a tipping point. 

I don't think the fact that Self couldn't attend the meeting would make any difference. The Langford's seem savvy enough to understand that he runs one of the top basketball programs in the country and could get pulled away for several different reasons. 

Where it could make a difference is the reason why Self couldn't attend. With the FBI scandal and everything, it seems like the Langford's are trying avoid schools with the perception of impropriety. So maybe the fact that Self couldn't come because he had to attend to a matter where a player was caught driving a Lamborghini (a car he said he his own car) is something that could turn them off.  

Archived