Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

If he is indeed announcing Friday, him staying for the entire game yesterday can't hurt right?  Also, I thought he was going to wait until spring?  Any reason for him moving the announcement up, assuming the rumors are true?

He can't officially sign until the spring, but he could verbally commit before that time.  I don't know exactly what he said, but committing now would not be inconsistent with signing in the Spring.

I saw Mile say in the game thread that Romeo wants to make several more games before deciding, which would be contrary to this Friday commitment rumor.  I'm curious, though, how he and several others manage to get tickets to all of these games right behind the bench.  I wouldn't think the team could be giving them these tickets, except on an OV.  I don't know the rules but was wondering if anyone else did?

12 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

I saw Mile say in the game thread that Romeo wants to make several more games before deciding, which would be contrary to this Friday commitment rumor.  I'm curious, though, how he and several others manage to get tickets to all of these games right behind the bench.  I wouldn't think the team could be giving them these tickets, except on an OV.  I don't know the rules but was wondering if anyone else did?

I am not sure about the Friday commitment rumor.  It would be nice. But.  Not what I have been hearing.

As far as the tickets... most HC's have it written into their contracts, that they get a specified number of tickets to each game.  I know, reading Crean's contract, that he did.  I have not read Miller's contract.  However, I would think he would have access to primo tickets.

14 hours ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Anybody else hear the student section in the first half chanting "Romeo. Romeo. Romeo." And "We want Romeo"?

I was there and heard the fans chanting his name and saw him right behind the bench.  My seats were behind the bench but 32 rows up so it was hard to see the recruits.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I was there and heard the fans chanting his name and saw him right behind the bench.  My seats were behind the bench but 32 rows up so it was hard to see the recruits.

Heard the chant for Romeo, all the way here in Colorado !   LOL

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

My buddy private messaged Alex Bozich. He didn't outright refute the rumor, didn't confirm it either. He said, "We shall see, I will be at the game on Friday."

Thanks DJ.  IF true.... it would be a shame that it leaked out before Friday.   Didn't that happen to Yogi ?  People knew he was committing to IU before his official announcement.

I'll be watching the game on Friday. I think it is cool that IU fans, from all over the country will be able to see Romeo. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks DJ.  IF true.... it would be a shame that it leaked out before Friday.   Didn't that happen to Yogi ?  People knew he was committing to IU before his official announcement.

I'll be watching the game on Friday. I think it is cool that IU fans, from all over the country will be able to see Romeo. 

If any of this is true about announcing it should look good for IU that he attended last nights game.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am not sure about the Friday commitment rumor.  It would be nice. But.  Not what I have been hearing.

As far as the tickets... most HC's have it written into their contracts, that they get a specified number of tickets to each game.  I know, reading Crean's contract, that he did.  I have not read Miller's contract.  However, I would think he would have access to primo tickets.

Yeah, I would imagine CAM would get as many tickets as he wanted, but seems like it would border on a gift to a recruit if he gave away his tickets.  It's clearly not a violation, though, because CAM isn't that stupid.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah, Rabjohns spoiled it and Doc Libby went off on him.

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Yeah, Rabjohns spoiled it and Doc Libby went off on him.

Knowing that, I imagine that Alex would not want to make the same mistake as Rabby. Sometimes, the pressure to bring attention to one's site is great. John Decker,Terry Hutchins and Albers got relieved from Hoosier Nation on the Scout platform.  Because they could not generate enough income to satisfy Scout.  Alex is unique in that respect, in that his site is independent.  However, he does have ads and membership.  So he does have a base that he needs to protect. One of the many reasons I like what we have established here, by breaking away from 247 is that we don't have to worry about generating income.  In fact, it is our plan to remain ad and membership free for the long term.

The rules could have of course changed, but it's not like CAM is scrambling for personal tickets to give recruits. Programs are allowed to comp tickets to recruits whether it's an OV or UV, and I'd image that section behind the bench is simply reserved for the program to do with it what they want. I'm sure Archie has personal tickets for family, friends, etc., but those would be separate from tickets they use to host recruits.  

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe a time for an olive branch to 0708? I think that was the handle. I don't want to get my hopes up for Romeo to get crushed but this sounds positive right? Or did he do the classy gesture and look coach in the eye and say I just want to go elsewhere??

I gotta think he wouldn't stay and watch the whole game if that was the case, Knowing the buzz he starts by just walking in the gym to begin with! But he is a teenager.

I hope 0708 comes back as well, he did add to this board. 

4 hours ago, HoosierCPA said:

Yeah, I would imagine CAM would get as many tickets as he wanted, but seems like it would border on a gift to a recruit if he gave away his tickets.  It's clearly not a violation, though, because CAM isn't that stupid.

I work for a brokerage firm and the rule is as long as it’s under $100 in value it’s not a violation so maybe the ncaa has a rule in place that a gift like a ticket can’t exceed a certain price or something?

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/recruiting

I'm not sure if this is unlimited, but per the link above:

The only expenses a college-bound student-athlete may receive from a college during an unofficial visit are three tickets to a home sports event.

My interpretation of this is that, any time a prospective student-athlete is making an unofficial visit, the institution can give them three tickets to a sports event.

Archived