Romeo Langford

23 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I like all the incoming freshman, but let’s not get crazy... if Romeo were to come, he’d definitely be our starting 2 guard. But Davis, Morgan, Durham and Smith are right there with him. I like RP a lot, but he’s not coming in and starting right away. If he did somehow manage such a feat, it would be because he’s busted his ass in practice and has earned it. I still see Durham and Green getting a good portion of the ball handling duties next year, as long as they continue to develop and play within themselves.

Phinisee dropped 36 points, 9 assists, 9 rebounds, and 6 steals in 3 quarters tonight.  I really hope he’s good enough to take over starting PG duties right away, because I don’t think we will be very good with Green or Durham running the point.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I like all the incoming freshman, but let’s not get crazy... if Romeo were to come, he’d definitely be our starting 2 guard. But Davis, Morgan, Durham and Smith are right there with him. I like RP a lot, but he’s not coming in and starting right away. If he did somehow manage such a feat, it would be because he’s busted his ass in practice and has earned it. I still see Durham and Green getting a good portion of the ball handling duties next year, as long as they continue to develop and play within themselves.

I honestly don't think there's any question RP starts from day 1. Have you seen Green play recently? Durham is Ok. And Smith is not playing the 3, he does not have a perimeter game. 

12 hours ago, iufaninand said:

i have a sinking feeling that this will resolve itself before next season. i think that durham will be the starter in the clubhouse, butPhinisee will be pushing him hard to take that spot

Durham better improve massively if he wants to be our starting PG next year. Makes a lot of boneheaded decisions and takes a lot of bad shots. There may be potential there but it’s time to start seeing some improvement. He’s not a freshman anymore. 

22 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Durham better improve massively if he wants to be our starting PG next year. Makes a lot of boneheaded decisions and takes a lot of bad shots. There may be potential there but it’s time to start seeing some improvement. He’s not a freshman anymore. 

Are you confusing Durham and Green? I don't see that at all with Durham. If anything, especially given that he's a freshmen, he takes care of the ball as good as any of our guards. I also don't see many bad shots from him, he usually takes what's given to him and seems almost hesitant to shoot even when open because he struggles with his shot. He's a good defender, has length, etc. 

He's certainly a limited player because his shot is so broken, but I don't see boneheaded decisions and bad shots from him. He's solid at getting the ball to Morgan in the post, and is typically smart with ball reversals, etc. I'm not advocating for him to start, as said he's a limited player because of his broken shot. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Are you confusing Durham and Green? I don't see that at all with Durham. If anything, especially given that he's a freshmen, he takes care of the ball as good as any of our guards. I also don't see many bad shots from him, he usually takes what's given to him and seems almost hesitant to shoot even when open because he struggles with his shot. He's a good defender, has length, etc. 

He's certainly a limited player because his shot is so broken, but I don't see boneheaded decisions and bad shots from him. He's solid at getting the ball to Morgan in the post, and is typically smart with ball reversals, etc. I'm not advocating for him to start, as said he's a limited player because of his broken shot. 

He’s also not nearly athletic enough to be our primary ball handler.

16 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He’s as good as any forward in the conference, but I don’t think he’ll be first team this year. Happ, Bridges, and Bates-Diop will all be ahead of him.  Could see them putting Wagner, Haas, Edwards, and Murphy in front of him as well.  Lot of good forwards in the Big Ten this year.

Bridges is a guard if they go by position. 

38 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Durham isn't athletic enough?

What has Durham shown that makes you think he’s athletic?  While I know this isn’t the be-all end-all of athleticism, I can’t think of a single time he’s dunked in a game.  He’s doesn’t play above the rim despite being a big guard at 6’4, and can’t really create his own shot off the dribble.  If you look at the best guards in the Big Ten this year, he’s way less athletic than almost all of them.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

What has Durham shown that makes you think he’s athletic?  While I know this isn’t the be-all end-all of athleticism, I can’t think of a single time he’s dunked in a game.  He’s doesn’t play above the rim despite being a big guard at 6’4, and can’t really create his own shot off the dribble.  If you look at the best guards in the Big Ten this year, he’s way less athletic than almost all of them.

I can't think of too many chances he's had to dunk. I also can't think of too many Big Ten point guards that can penetrate and dunk in traffic. 

The reason he can't create his own shot off the dribble is because he can't shoot and he's not a Big Ten level ball handler yet. He's perfectly athletic enough. 

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Have you seen him finish in traffic? 

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can't think of too many chances he's had to dunk. I also can't think of too many Big Ten point guards that can penetrate and dunk in traffic. 

The reason he can't create his own shot off the dribble is because he can't shoot and he's not a Big Ten level ball handler yet. He's perfectly athletic enough. 

I guess this is kind of what I meant.  Can’t shoot, not a good ball handler, doesn’t play above the rim.  All of that adds up to a lack of athleticism, IMO, but I guess it depends on how you define that term.  He’s a little crafty around the rim and has decent court vision, but I don’t see him becoming much more than a decent role player off the bench.  I definitely agree he’s a pretty good decision maker with a decent basketball IQ though.

I gotta agree with BGleas on this one.  IMO, Durham has shown the best basketball IQ out of all of our guards.  He takes care of the ball and doesn’t take bad shots.  He’s not connecting on many shots, as he still needs to work on it, but his decision making is head and shoulders above all of the other guards.  He’s not an offensive threat right now and with McRoberts playing a lot (also not an offensive threat), I think that’s why we haven’t seen him as much here lately.  

17 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I guess this is kind of what I meant.  Can’t shoot, not a good ball handler, doesn’t play above the rim.  All of that adds up to a lack of athleticism, IMO, but I guess it depends on how you define that term.  He’s a little crafty around the rim and has decent court vision, but I don’t see him becoming much more than a decent role player off the bench.  I definitely agree he’s a pretty good decision maker with a decent basketball IQ though.

I think there's a difference between athleticism and skill. He's perfectly athletic enough to get by people and get to the basket, but he's not yet skilled enough. His ball handling and shooting skill are what's preventing him from getting by people to the basket, or creating his own jump shot. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I don't disagree about his role moving forward. His athleticism and skill level are two different things. 

Adam Zagoria on Twitter: "Vanderbilt and Indiana will see 2018 G Romeo Langford live Friday when he plays on ESPN. Newly minted McDonald's All-American."

He then follows it up with: "Bryce Drew and Archie Miller both expected."

We have a game that same night...

I see some athleticism, and I agree he’s pretty good at post entry passes. However, the majority of the time on the offensive end I see a guy who can’t shoot and a guy who seems to be in a hurry (which both can be improved). There were a couple poor decisions in  the Nwestern game that stood out to me. One he dribbled almost full court to the rim and threw up a crazy shot over a bigger defender when there was no need. The other is slipping my mind right now. I think he’s solid on D and he plays hard, so I can live with his mistakes to an extent. But as of now, I see him as a reserve player, not a starter, unless he improves tremendously. In the college game, a PG has to be able to shoot/score. 

2 minutes ago, KDB said:

Adam Zagoria on Twitter: "Vanderbilt and Indiana will see 2018 G Romeo Langford live Friday when he plays on ESPN. Newly minted McDonald's All-American."

He then follows it up with: "Bryce Drew and Archie Miller both expected."

We have a game that same night...

From the look of things, Bryce Drew needs to spend more time in the gym with his current players.

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

Earlier in the year Al went 4 games without having a turnover, while averaging 30min a game. He's a smart player. Probably the smartest out of all our guards, and I don't think it's close. 

And Al is athletic. Just because he isn't dunking over people doesn't mean he isn't athletic. 

I thought Al started off the year as our most impressive freshman because of his ability to play within himself as you kind of pointed to. He didn’t seem concerned about scoring and busted his butt on D (which he still does). I think he’s gotten away from playing within himself on the offensive end because he seems to be forcing more. I wonder if that’s due to coaches/players pushing him to shoot it more, or be more aggressive in general. Or maybe I’m not paying attention as well as I should be. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I overlooked your post about Miller at Romeo's game. So when I saw you had already posted about it.... I deleted my post.  Sorry about that. 

It was probably easy to miss through all the conversation about Al Durham. Lol.

Archived