Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'm asking you why you feel that way Jesus. I fully understand what a fact and opinion are, we have been going over that with my first graders the past two weeks. They have to support their answer with a reason why though....

he was ranked 2nd in his class which was a lot stronger class than what Romeo's class is.  He was a better outside shooter and was able to get to the basket with ease.  He was a lot stronger and could play through contact and get a lot of 3 point plays.  I am not saying Romeo is not a great player because he is but if I had to choose one I would take Gordon.

Just now, IU Scott said:

he was ranked 2nd in his class which was a lot stronger class than what Romeo's class is.  He was a better outside shooter and was able to get to the basket with ease.  He was a lot stronger and could play through contact and get a lot of 3 point plays.  I am not saying Romeo is not a great player because he is but if I had to choose one I would take Gordon.

You have no idea about where the classes will end up and has little to do with this discussion. How is he a better shooter?  Gordon didn't shoot a great % at IU. Defensively? Rebounding?

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You have no idea about where the classes will end up and has little to do with this discussion. How is he a better shooter?  Gordon didn't shoot a great % at IU. Defensively? Rebounding?

I am comparing what each player did in high school and not what anyone has done or will do in college or the pros.  I have a question for you, did you ever see Gordon actually play or are you just going by what some stats tell you.  It seems like the younger crowd just thinks what they see right now is better than things that they have never witnessed.  You question people who have seen both play but you jump to conclusions even if you haven't seen both play.  It is like the arguments about what is better the NBA of today or the 80's and 90's.  The younger people who never saw the 80's or 90's automatically say that today is better even though they never saw the other era.

Also if you are looking at Gordon's 3 point shooting stats at IU you need to look before wrist injury and after the injury.  He was a dead on shooter until he hurt his wrist in the middle of the season.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am comparing what each player did in high school and not what anyone has done or will do in college or the pros.  I have a question for you, did you ever see Gordon actually play or are you just going by what some stats tell you.  It seems like the younger crowd just thinks what they see right now is better than things that they have never witnessed.  You question people who have seen both play but you jump to conclusions even if you haven't seen both play.  It is like the arguments about what is better the NBA of today or the 80's and 90's.  The younger people who never saw the 80's or 90's automatically say that today is better even though they never saw the other era.

Also if you are looking at Gordon's 3 point shooting stats at IU you need to look before wrist injury and after the injury.  He was a dead on shooter until he hurt his wrist in the middle of the season.

The age thing is stupid. I watched Gordon I think 4 times in HS and every single game at IU. Idc about the 80s and 90s. The wrist injury,  solid point.. although his NBA percentage hasn't been great. Romeo is a MUCH more complete basketball player at this point in their careers. 

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I never saw Gordon play in high school, but I've never considered him to be a 'shooter'.  A 'scorer', most definitely.  But, his three point percentage was never great at IU or in the NBA.

Before he hurt his hand or wrist at IU age was shooting almost 50% from 3.  Now could he have kept that up, I doubt it but he’s a great shooter.  I consider Romeo more of the scorer.

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The age thing is stupid. I watched Gordon I think 4 times in HS and every single game at IU. Idc about the 80s and 90s. The wrist injury,  solid point.. although his NBA percentage hasn't been great. Romeo is a MUCH more complete basketball player at this point in their careers. 

Over all 3pt% 33.3  70/208

first 17 games 57-138

after injury 13-70

5 hours ago, hoosier10 said:

Gordon was a great shooter and scorer in high school.  I was in HS at the same time, in the same conference, and watched him many times.  Yes his % isn’t outstanding in the NBA- 37% (he did shoot 44.8% from 3 a couple seasons ago), but most of his points come from distance.  His shooting is the main reason he got 6th man of the year and won the NBA 3pt contest last year.  I’ve watched him since he was 14- shooting is by far the best part of his game.

When comparing him and Romeo the main difference I see is the smoothness of Romeo.  Gordons game was more power based in HS.  I saw him throw down tomahawk dunks all over the MIC due to his strength and althleticism.  With Romeo, I’ve never seen a kid make the game look this easy.  It’s very impressive to watch, and he kind of reminds me of Kyrie in terms of his fluidity on the court. Never seems to be going full speed, but is so damn efficient.

Romeos b-ball IQ is sky high,  his jumper is flawless, he has similar athleticism to Gordon, has better length, and defensively he seems more advanced at this point in their careers. Eric Gordon has been a very good NBA player, but I think Romeo could find himself in the elite tier of NBA players within the next 4-5 years. Advantage Romeo.

Romeo reminds me of laid-back version of Kobe

IMO, those 2 are different type of players. It's explosiveness vs smoothness. Both players have (had) shooting and ball handling skills. When I watched Gordon's highlights, I felt that he just overwhelmed other boys with his power and physicality (and also skills). On the contrary, the way Romeo plays looked buttery smooth and he made things look to easy. in the end, both players are one-in-a-decade type of players. 

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why do you constantly do this?  This is your go to argument when someone disagrees with you.  You try to discredit everyone who’s younger than you with ridiculous statements like, “It seems like the younger crowd just thinks what they see right now is better than things that they have never witnessed”.  It’s called recency bias, and it’s not something that only affects younger people.  Also, you question whether the poster has actually seen Gordon in person in your typical demeaning manner.  

Why do you feel that just because you’ve lived a little longer that you know more about basketball?  Im not the only one on here tired of his behavior am I?  I’m sure I’ll get reprimanded for this because criticisms are known as insults by the mods on here, but man Scott you are supremely annoying.

During the Basketball Day in Indiana festivities a couple of weeks ago, Fox Sports Indiana reported that Bloomington South coach J.R. Holmes (775 wins and counting over 48 years coaching in the state) stated that Romeo was the best EVER to come out of the state.  Now, Oscar and McGinnis would have been before Holmes' time, but even removing them from the equation, that statement still puts Romeo ahead of a lot of great players in Holmes' mind.  Granted, it's just one man's opinion.  But, that man most certainly should be considered more of an expert than most, if not all, of us.   

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

During the Basketball Day in Indiana festivities a couple of weeks ago, Fox Sports Indiana reported that Bloomington South coach J.R. Holmes (775 wins and counting over 48 years coaching in the state) stated that Romeo was the best EVER to come out of the state.  Now, Oscar and McGinnis would have been before Holmes' time, but even removing them from the equation, that statement still puts Romeo ahead of a lot of great players in Holmes' mind.  Granted, it's just one man's opinion.  But, that man most certainly should be considered more of an expert than most, if not all, of us.   

The Romeo vs. EJ debate is a fun one. I've seen them both and they've both looked absolutely dominant against their peers.  Too hard for me to say one is better than the other.  They are different, but they are both special talents you don't see very often...just enjoy them while you can.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Big time praise  

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah, that puts Romeo ahead of Larry Bird. Now this conversation is getting ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

Yeah, that puts Romeo ahead of Larry Bird. Now this conversation is getting ridiculous.

Holmes was talking about the player in  high school.  Keep in mind that Larry Bird only finished 4th in the Mr. Basketball voting his Senior Year.  Bird developed immensely after he got out of high school.  

Archived