Romeo Langford

2 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

There were other D1 players in his conference...two of which went to Louisville and another that was on his team. Competition in that area wasn’t atrocious.

He had 55 points and 38 rebounds one game in an era with no 3 point line and no shot clock. Not to mention the 8 minute quarters. 

Langford has had a better overall HS career but it’s hard to look at Bird’s performance from his senior year and say Langford was Undoubtedly better by the time they left HS.

Also... do you want to compare Orleans   (love Tom Bradley) to every Evansville school, Carmel, B South, Princeton Ohio, FC, Jeff?.. come man, this is silly. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I might be wrong but Romeo should play 8 minute quarters  and no shot clock unless things changed since last Saturday.  Not sure how that supports your argument.  Not saying your wrong

I know it has always been 8 minute quarters. I just mentioned that to emphasize the 55 points with no 3 point line. I forgot that HS games still didn’t have a shot clock though.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Also... do you want to compare Orleans   (love Tom Bradley) to every Evansville school, Carmel, B South, Princeton Ohio, FC, Jeff?.. come man, this is silly. 

I never said Romeo didn’t play decent competition... I just said that the teams Bird played against weren’t “atrocious.” The first D1 coaches to notice Bird were at the games to watch other players...

And I’m not sure I’d mention that Princeton game if I’m trying to make a case for how Langford is a phenomenal all-around player. I caught that game and that was some matador defense on Bazley if I’ve ever seen it. He must’ve been taking notes from JBJ.

41 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I never said Romeo didn’t play decent competition... I just said that the teams Bird played against weren’t “atrocious.” The first D1 coaches to notice Bird were at the games to watch other players...

And I’m not sure I’d mention that Princeton game if I’m trying to make a case for how Langford is a phenomenal all-around player. I caught that game and that was some matador defense on Bazley if I’ve ever seen it. He must’ve been taking notes from JBJ.

I never said they were atrocious, I said compared to Romeo's compeition it hasn't been even close.. no.. Bazley played really well. 

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

13th ranked schedule in the state and that's not counting Princeton. I am out on this.. Romeo is the best HS player since McGinnis at minimum. Larry Bird played 1A at Valley. (I realize there wasn't classes then, but teams still played their size for the most part)

Boy that's close. Eric Gordon, Montross, Oden, Edwards, Bailey, Alford.....it's tough to say such an absolute statement. I think Romeo is special. Once an every 8 year guy but to say the best since McGinnis? Tough for some of us to agree. 

45 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Back to Romeo. Create another thread if you want to have this meaningless debate that can’t be won between players from different generations. 

Why?.. this thread has literally been nothing but Romeo based... that makes zero sense. Quite honestly as good of a debate that there has been on this board in a little bit. Why would you shut it down? It's not like there is daily info on Romeo..

12 hours ago, Desert Hoosier said:

No insider information. I just believe he would have announced his school by now, if it were in fact IU. I read another post on a different website. It was an interesting theory. The writer felt that he will go to Vanderbilt and play with his friend Darius Garland. However, since he is currently playing high school ball in the state of Indiana. He would prefer to play without receiving a lot of hostility or boos from fans. Consequently, no benefit to announcing early that he will be playing outside his home state. 

Trust me.  Romeo is not playing with IU to avoid boos.  That's some idiot on a board speculating against the young man's character.  People that actually know Romeo will universally tell you that he has too much character for something like that.

He's simply taking the time to evaluate all 3 situations to see which provides him with the best opportunity.  Considering his desired profession in life offers the opportunity of millions upon millions of dollars, can you really blame him?  

Would any of us rush to make a decision with that much on the line?  And, in Romeo's case, we're expecting an 18 year old young man to do that?

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Back to Romeo. Create another thread if you want to have this meaningless debate that can’t be won between players from different generations. 

Respectfully - it's a thread about Romeo Langford... people are debating how Romeo Langford compares to players from other generations... what am I missing here?

Personally I find this discussion really interesting. Otherwise this thread is just going to be day after day of "Romeo scored a million points again tonight, oh and guess what, he's still a really nice quiet kid who hasn't said squat about where's he's going to college"

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

13th ranked schedule in the state and that's not counting Princeton. I am out on this.. Romeo is the best HS player since McGinnis at minimum. Larry Bird played 1A at Valley. (I realize there wasn't classes then, but teams still played their size for the most part)

You think Romeo is better than Glen Robinson and Shawn Kemp while they were in high school.  I think Romeo is one of the best I have seen in high school and hope he will play at IU but I can't see how he is the best since McGinnis.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Boy that's close. Eric Gordon, Montross, Oden, Edwards, Bailey, Alford.....it's tough to say such an absolute statement. I think Romeo is special. Once an every 8 year guy but to say the best since McGinnis? Tough for some of us to agree. 

Lol impossible for some of us to agree.

Romeo scores at will and all of a sudden he’s the greatest player out of the state in 70 years. Look at Indiana’s all time leading scorer list...the majority of them haven’t even entered into this discussion.

Those names are just a fraction of the players you could put in that conversation. Teague, Conley, Kemp, Robinson, Randolph...

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I really don’t care about class size, and wish it would go back to single class. I would’ve taken 2A Park Tudor during Yogi’s senior year over any school in the state, regardless of class size.

37 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I really don’t care about class size, and wish it would go back to single class. I would’ve taken 2A Park Tudor during Yogi’s senior year over any school in the state, regardless of class size.

That's fine. They weren't the best team in the state, but ok. That's got nothing to do with how good Romeo's schedule is.. especially at the top of it. 

10 hours ago, btownqb said:

Romeo is the best HS player since McGinnis at minimum. Larry Bird played 1A at Valley. (I realize there wasn't classes then, but teams still played their size for the most part)

What about Damon Bailey?

And I disagree about schools playing their size.  Locale is important.  I went to a small school and we played the likes of FW Dwenger, FW North, FW Homestead, FW Carroll, Warsaw, Concord, Columbia City, and Huntington North.  We were a small school surrounded by bigger districts.

A lot of negativity on the board.  I don't think Romeo has decided yet.  I have a feeling he is concentrating on his final High School season, and will decide when he said he is going to.  If I had to guess, he would choose Kansas or us.  I don't really buy that Vandy is a legit contender.  I think people are reading way too much into little smiles in interviews, and he said she said stuff from other recruits parents.  That's just my point of view.  Either way, a lot to look forward to for IU in the coming years.

Archived