Romeo Langford

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

And? I don't really understand why that is all that big of a deal. I do know there are more players that can shoot it from deep, and play on the perimeter now though. Does that not mean players aren't as fundamentally sound?

I totally disagree with you on the shooting because they are not as good of shooters today.  Look at guys like Pete Marovich who averaged over 40 points a game without the 3 point line and he shot from far beyond the 3 point line.  You see guys like Mount and Slundt who averaged a lot more points a game than any players today without the 3 point line. Trae Young averages about 29 points a game and back in the day that would probably be barely in the top 10 scorers in the country.  What is different today than even 30 years ago is the usage of the 3 point line.  Larry Bird shot around 100 3's a year where Steph shoots about 400.  In college kids might use and hit the 3 more but I bet the percentages today is lower than what it is back in the 80s and 90's.  Alford hit around 55% percent from the 3's the first year.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I totally disagree with you on the shooting because they are not as good of shooters today.  Look at guys like Pete Marovich who averaged over 40 points a game without the 3 point line and he shot from far beyond the 3 point line.  You see guys like Mount and Slundt who averaged a lot more points a game than any players today without the 3 point line. Trae Young averages about 29 points a game and back in the day that would probably be barely in the top 10 scorers in the country.  What is different today than even 30 years ago is the usage of the 3 point line.  Larry Bird shot around 100 3's a year where Steph shoots about 400.  In college kids might use and hit the 3 more but I bet the percentages today is lower than what it is back in the 80s and 90's.  Alford hit around 55% percent from the 3's the first year.

You didn't read what I said.  I said "more" players can play on the perimeter.. not that there are better shooters. Look at Miles Turner... centers everywhere play outside. DeMarcus Cousin's and Anothony Davis. I honestly don't care about the game before.. it's got nothing to do with Romeo. 

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is patently ridiculous on it's face. You're talking about guys that played the game 50+ years ago. Basketball, like all sports, does not exist or evolve in some sort of vacuum. Rules change. Players evolve and adjust. I'm 50 years old, and can recognize the fact that athletes today are just much better equipped to play the game as it exists TODAY. Steve Kerr shot nearly 60% from 3PT range over 30 years ago. One of the best of all time. There is no way he would do that in a modern environment because of things like different defenses, better athleticism, etc. Doesn't mean that Kerr (or Pistol Pete or whoever) don't deserve their due, but to say that kids playing the game today are lacking in fundamentals is total red herring argument. 

I just got back to hotel after watching TCU/Vanderbilt game. (Was here to watch Desmond Bane). My impressions were not very good as far as atmosphere. Place was only 3/4 full and I’d say a 1/4 of those were TCU fans. There were at least two times the chants of TCU took over the arena. I sat next to two Vanderbilt season ticket holders and they are not impressed by Drew. Think he can recruit but can’t coach. I’m suprised Langford is entertaining coming here when high schools gyms in Indiana are louder and fuller. Obviously Kansas can match IU for atmosphere but here in Nashville it wasn’t even close. Just my observations today. 

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

3 point shooting in the 80's in the NBA was way below what it is now.  Both in attempts and percentages.  Today's shooters are so much better.  Usually, as volume increases, accuracy decreases.  Keeping a similar accuracy while attempts have spiked over the last 10-15 years shows how good today's shooters are.

https://www.besttickets.com/blog/nba-shooting/

25 minutes ago, BEKA said:

This is patently ridiculous on it's face. You're talking about guys that played the game 50+ years ago. Basketball, like all sports, does not exist or evolve in some sort of vacuum. Rules change. Players evolve and adjust. I'm 50 years old, and can recognize the fact that athletes today are just much better equipped to play the game as it exists TODAY. Steve Kerr shot nearly 60% from 3PT range over 30 years ago. One of the best of all time. There is no way he would do that in a modern environment because of things like different defenses, better athleticism, etc. Doesn't mean that Kerr (or Pistol Pete or whoever) don't deserve their due, but to say that kids playing the game today are lacking in fundamentals is total red herring argument. 

In fairness, Korver has the highest single season percentage, and that was less than 10 years ago (it was however on less attempts than Kerr).  Also, of the top 20 career leaders in 3 point percentage, 10 are active right now. 

Defenses are a lot longer and faster, and the quality of shots is not always great.  Overall shooting is way better than it used to be.  For shooting percentages to be the way they are with the kind of shots people take today is kind of remarkable.  There are a lot of shooters that are unbelievable.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg3_pct_career.html

I guess we should just agree to  disagree on this topic because none of us are going to change our minds.  I would hope one thing that we can maybe agree on is that in college basketball that the top teams of the 80's and 90's are far better than the top teams of today.  Most of that would have to do with the top players staying 4 years and not leaving after a year.  Individuals might be better but that does not make for a better game.

11 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

A friend of mine was asking if I saw Romeo’s put back dunk last night.  I scoured the internet but couldn’t find anything, which seems weird.  Anyone have a link to this, or was my buddy a few too many drinks in?

Last night wasn't a put back as far as I know.. it was an alley oop and it was f'ing sick

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we should just agree to  disagree on this topic because none of us are going to change our minds.  I would hope one thing that we can maybe agree on is that in college basketball that the top teams of the 80's and 90's are far better than the top teams of today.  Most of that would have to do with the top players staying 4 years and not leaving after a year.  Individuals might be better but that does not make for a better game.

Smh. I guess.. the bottom line is there is more balance, there are more good teams. Basketball in the 80s are like girls basketball now, competitiveness wise. 

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Smh. I guess.. the bottom line is there is more balance, there are more good teams. Basketball in the 80s are like girls basketball now, competitiveness wise. 

The bottom teams might be better but just look at the top of the big 10 back then and you will see at least 4 to 5 legitimate contenders.  One of my favorite seasons was 89 when we won the conference even though UM and UI went to the final four. Iowa was also very good that year and made for a great big ten season.  Comparing college basketball of the 80's and 90's to women's basketball show that you really have no clue what you are saying.  UCONN is the only team in the women's game but the men's game back then had a lot of top teams.  UNLV, Duke, Arkansas, IU, UM, UI, UNC, KU, UCONN.  Also you had teams like GA. Tech, Arizona and if I had more time I could think of others who came out of no where and became contenders.  Just do some research and just look at the rosters of some of the top teams back then and get back with me.  I am talking about what players did in college and not their pro careers because I really don't care what they did in the NBA.

I guess I am just done with this convo because it appears that you can't be unbias. 

3 hours ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

I just got back to hotel after watching TCU/Vanderbilt game. (Was here to watch Desmond Bane). My impressions were not very good as far as atmosphere. Place was only 3/4 full and I’d say a 1/4 of those were TCU fans. There were at least two times the chants of TCU took over the arena. I sat next to two Vanderbilt season ticket holders and they are not impressed by Drew. Think he can recruit but can’t coach. I’m suprised Langford is entertaining coming here when high schools gyms in Indiana are louder and fuller. Obviously Kansas can match IU for atmosphere but here in Nashville it wasn’t even close. Just my observations today. 

I've gotten to the point where I don't even think about Vandy in the Romeo sweepstakes. I just can't see how they're a factor right now.

5 minutes ago, jimmygoiu said:

Romeo had 38 points tonight as NA drilled Jasper 87-43.  For those of you that don't feel that Romeo can impact with his outside shooting-he had 8 3s tonight.  Four of those were NBA range and beyond.  He is  the real deal in every way.

Exactly what this team needs and if you put him with Phinissee that would make a great backcourt.

I’m a broken record and will probably be proven wrong, but I still just don’t see how IU isn’t the obvious choice. Other than waiting to see if Morgan is back, it just makes SO much sense to me. Even beyond all the local kid, in-state stuff, IU will have a good roster next year, with an All-Conference, senior big, and a glaring hole for the exact talents/skills Langford brings. Literally, the one big glaring hole on IU’s roster is an athletic shooting guard with range. 

Even on this years team, If you had a 2-guard with Langford’s skills we’re probably top 25 and top 3 in conference. 

Then add on top it all the stuff like fan base, facilities, local legend, historic program, etc., it makes so much sense. 

On 1/23/2018 at 8:28 PM, HoosierKix said:

Hey Mile and 5fouls you guys hearing anything about his timeline I know he said spring but anyone hearing whispers about when he is planning to pull the string?

Sorry for the delay.  Still hearing a Spring signing.  And no Langford sighting at today's PU game. 

Archived