Romeo Langford

19 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

What’s the rule with eligibility If one declares for the draft, gets drafted but does not hire an agent, is he still eligible? That’s the case for baseball, and personally, I like it. I also don’t see why a prospective pro athlete can’t give someone their OWN money to help them make decisions and achieve their goals. It protects the kid.

IMO, the NCAA needs to allow this type of thing for their own brand. It’s one way the NCAA can have some power over the NBA and NFL.  There are multiple MLB teams using high picks on guys that don’t sign. What a shame it is to watch college juniors plummet in the NFL draft on draft day. 

They have to withdraw from the draft beforehand or they forego their eligibility. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Vonleh: Made $11.4M in salary by age 22 with another $4.7M guaranteed by age 23.

Hansborough: Made $0 in salary by age 22, with $1.8M guaranteed by age 23.  

Hansborough made $16.5M in salary playing in the NBA from age 23 to age 30.  Vonleh will have made $16.1M in salary by age 23, and will probably add at least another $20M to that by the time he turns 30.  I question the intelligence of anyone who would prefer Hansborough’s basketball career.

To me it is a easy choice because I would take Hansbourough every day of the week and it is not close.  I guess it depends what your priorities are and what makes you happy.  for me winning a national championship and then being the player of the year is the most important thing to me.  To me the money will be there and it is not the most important thing to me.  I guess all the players like Tim Duncan totally made a mistake by staying 4 years.  Back then the rookie salaries was way higher than they are now and Duncan still decided to stay.

Also once a player decides to enter the draft his agent is the one that pretty much pays for his training until he gets drafted. With this it would make the kid ineligible to play college ball.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So you’d pass up millions of dollars to play in college for nothing.  Can’t say I think that’s a smart decision, but to each their own...

Regardless, you’re wrong about Jackson not being ready to contribute right away.  He’s already an elite three point shooter and shot blocker.  He’ll be getting minutes from Day 1.

Yeah he could do what Myles Turner did as a rookie no problem. 

36 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

What’s the rule with eligibility If one declares for the draft, gets drafted but does not hire an agent, is he still eligible? That’s the case for baseball, and personally, I like it. I also don’t see why a prospective pro athlete can’t give someone their OWN money to help them make decisions and achieve their goals. It protects the kid.

IMO, the NCAA needs to allow this type of thing for their own brand. It’s one way the NCAA can have some power over the NBA and NFL.  There are multiple MLB teams using high picks on guys that don’t sign. What a shame it is to watch college juniors plummet in the NFL draft on draft day. 

You can put your name in for the draft to be evaluated and go through work outs. You have a date you have to decide to stay in the draft or with drawl your name.  If you stay in the draft then you lose your eligibility and can't go back to school.

38 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Vonleh: Made $11.4M in salary by age 22 with another $4.7M guaranteed by age 23.

Hansborough made $16.5M in salary playing in the NBA from age 23 to age 30.  Vonleh will have made $16.1M in salary by age 23, and will probably add at least another $20M to that by the time he turns 30.  I question the intelligence of anyone who would prefer Hansborough’s basketball career.

Hansborough won a National championship as a senior.   In my mind, that's worth a significant number of millions.  And, don't discount the fact that Hansborough is still making money overseas.  

As Billy Joel said...."You may be right, I may be crazy".

But, I think I lean Hansbprough in that comparison.  

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hansborough won a National championship as a senior.   In my mind, that's worth a significant number of millions.  And, don't discount the fact that Hansborough is still making money overseas.  

As Billy Joel said...."You may be right, I may be crazy".

But, I think I lean Hansbprough in that comparison.  

What if that banner came down?

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Put it this way I would rather have the career of Steve Alford over Cody Zeller and Alford's banner won't be coming down.

Meh...I'd take Cody Zeller.  The championships are nice but Cody will make $56 million in this 4-year contract. After that, he can do what he wants or just play.  Alford is still sitting in a bunch of gymnasiums around the country trying to impress teenagers.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You can put your name in for the draft to be evaluated and go through work outs. You have a date you have to decide to stay in the draft or with drawl your name.  If you stay in the draft then you lose your eligibility and can't go back to school.

I know it’s been like this for years, but why in the heck does one lose eligibility if the commissioner announces a kids name? That’s really dumb. Now if a contract is signed, thats obviously a different ballgame. 

The pro league is able to hold the kids hostage, and the NCAA allows them to. 

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Jackson's gone. I would go as soon as I got a paycheck. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think that it entirely depends on the kid's situation.

In saying that, which side of the argument are you going to be on if Romeo commits to IU and has a great freshman season? 

In that scenario are you going to be as certain that he should leave after a year?

Fouls says he's not going to be a one and gone. If all the draft gurus think he's a lottery pick, are you still as adamant that he leaves? In this scenario, given the other players that Archie is bringing in, I'd venture to say that we'd be really highly rated with a Sophomore Romeo leading the team.

Just now, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think that it entirely depends on the kid's situation.

In saying that, which side of the argument are you going to be on if Romeo commits to IU and has a great freshman season? 

In that scenario are you going to be as certain that he should leave after a year?

Fouls says he's not going to be a one and gone. If all the draft gurus think he's a lottery pick, are you still as adamant that he leaves? In this scenario, given the other players that Archie is bringing in, I'd venture to say that we'd be really highly rated with a Sophomore Romeo leading the team.

If we are lucky enough to get Romeo I wouldn’t bet on him staying past 1 year.  I also wouldn’t bet on him leaving after freshman season either.

11 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

If we are lucky enough to get Romeo I wouldn’t bet on him staying past 1 year.  I also wouldn’t bet on him leaving after freshman season either.

This.  Can’t expect a kid to stay if he’s projected to be a top 10 pick, but it would be a pleasant surprise if he stayed.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Meh...I'd take Cody Zeller.  The championships are nice but Cody will make $56 million in this 4-year contract. After that, he can do what he wants or just play.  Alford is still sitting in a bunch of gymnasiums around the country trying to impress teenagers.

Yeah, but are you factoring in that Alford played in the 80s?

30 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Key difference is Romeo turned down prep school and Jackson did not. That says something about them both. 

35 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Key difference is Romeo turned down prep school and Jackson did not. That says something about them both. 

Got it, but not the point. Btown talks in absolutes. Just wondering if he feels as strongly when it's IU instead of another team 

2 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I disagree with Fouls.. again.. I'd go asap. Ppl that thought zeller should stay were insane.. we were damn lucky we got him for a 2nd year. 

14 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Personally I would most likely take the money but this attitude that someone is crazy for choosing to delay that payday for another year or two is ridiculous. Vonleh will clearly make far more money in his playing career but no amount of money could every buy the experiences Hansborogh had in college. For someone that truly loves the game and knows that the money will be there whenever he decides to leave, this decision clearly bares some careful consideration. For those like Vonleh where playing basketball is merely a means to an end, there really is no basketball reasons to delay gratification. When you consider that many NBA players are broke shortly after there playing careers end though, regardless of how long their careers were or how much the made, I'm not so sure that Vonleh really comes out ahead financially in the end. 

Romeo is most important recruit since? For sake of this discussion I'm talking just recruits post Coach Knight.  Cody was huge. Gordon was as well. Have no idea if Romeo will impact a game the same way but we missed on Oden. Look what happened. Getting Romeo to play at IU could set us up recruiting wise for 19,20 and beyond. 

12 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Might be better to create a separate thread as I would like to keep this "uncluttered" with other stuff. Every time I see a new post, I click it to see if there are any updates or rumors, etc. instead of if a kid should stay in college or go pro, just my 2 pennies.......

There is never daily updates, for any recruit. 

Archived