Romeo Langford

12 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

How is that a fans response?  To your points, how would he be able to maximize his earning potential more at Vandy vs. IU?  Guys who play deep into the tourney and show out during the tourney have their stock increase substantially (see Steph Curry).  Not only would he get more exposure at IU, but his chances of making a deep tourney run are a lot better, which could increase his stock.  Also, most of these top kids do want to win, even though they are probably going to only be in school for a year.  All they’ve done is win their entire life, so that does go into MOST of these kids’ decisions.  His chances of winning big are either at IU or Kansas, and IU betters that chance with Morgan coming back..  I just don’t see that same opportunity at Vandy.

Just look at the last tow #1 draft picks because they went to LSU and Washington and neither made the tournament.  This kind of shows you that some top players really don't care about winning all that much.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

I think we could probably agree that the SEC being the better league is a rarity lol. I don’t know Langford, so I can’t say what his motivating factors are. I do know that if I was in his situation and was only planning on playing one year, that’s something I would take into consideration. The difference between being drafted first and fifth is over 10 million on a 4 year contract. I’d be weighing every possible factor that could affect my draft positioning. For example, why bang it out in a physical league like the B1G and risk injury to average 20 a game if I think I can go run-n-gun in the PAC 12 and average 30?

Two things:

• Strong possibility that Romeo does not want to be a one and done.
  • Money is a factor, and it always is.  But, in this case, it's not the only factor.

People need to stop thinking in terms of what they would do, and instead look at what HE wants do.  

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just look at the last tow #1 draft picks because they went to LSU and Washington and neither made the tournament.  This kind of shows you that some top players really don't care about winning all that much.

I kind of agree. When you are at this elite level. You are going to be offered crazy money regardless of your school choice. If you know you're not sticking around, then your selection can be for any number of reasons that have little to do with which school has the greatest chance to win the Big Dance!  

12 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

I know you think Langford is good enough that the competition won’t matter, but I’m just playing devil’s advocate here. One could look at Vandy as being a better choice for maximizing draft position because he won’t be playing against the level of competition that he’d face in the B1G. I’d have to think he’d be averaging more in the SEC than the B1G.

You could also argue that he'd put up better numbers as the top offensive option at IU than at Vandy as part of a 3 person class that all want to put up numbers. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

2 hours ago, Desert Hoosier said:

I kind of agree. When you are at this elite level. You are going to be offered crazy money regardless of your school choice. If you know you're not sticking around, then your selection can be for any number of reasons that have little to do with which school has the greatest chance to win the Big Dance!  

If this is the case, then CAM may have a problem with locking up the states' top players......

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Two things:

Although I think he may be one and done I’m not convinced - He strikes me as someone who may want to stay 2 years.  And honestly, if he stays a second year, and looking in the future with recruit management I could very well see Archie selling the National title picture. We should be loaded. If Romeo commits, others big recruits I.e, TJD, Hurt, Brooks could all follow. Looking in the future The ‘19-‘20 roster has the potential to be a National title roster, and I will take that roster up against anyone’s in the nation. 

Another reason to just ride out this season and see the positives - cause it’s not hard to see where Archie could have us going, as soon as next year.

9 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

I think we could probably agree that the SEC being the better league is a rarity lol. I don’t know Langford, so I can’t say what his motivating factors are. I do know that if I was in his situation and was only planning on playing one year, that’s something I would take into consideration. The difference between being drafted first and fifth is over 10 million on a 4 year contract. I’d be weighing every possible factor that could affect my draft positioning. For example, why bang it out in a physical league like the B1G and risk injury to average 20 a game if I think I can go run-n-gun in the PAC 12 and average 30?

Dude.. not going to lie... this is beyond silly. Way too hypothetical. Miles Bridges was a top 5 pick if he came out. D Russell went high. Again.. this doesn't really make any sense to me. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Dude.. not going to lie... this is beyond silly. Way too hypothetical. Miles Bridges was a top 5 pick if he came out. D Russell went high. Again.. this doesn't really make any sense to me. 

Well, it’s a hypotheticl topic... And the premise is pretty simple; good players look even better against weaker competition. With some players, it doesn’t matter. That very well may be the case with Langford. With others, I’d argue they’re better served playing in weaker conferences. You use Russell and Bridges to support your position whereas I’d use Anthony Bennett, Jaylen Brown, or hell, 75% of the 5 star players that go to UK to support mine.

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Two things:

• Money is a factor, and it always is.  But, in this case, it's not the only factor.

People need to stop thinking in terms of what they would do, and instead look at what HE wants do.  

Do you know what he wants to do? Because I have no idea... Which is why I use myself for reference.

As a fan, I’d love to think we could get a player like Langford that wants to stay for 2 years. But how many times have we seen recruits talk about things like academics only to turn around and go pro sans-degree when they’re staring that $30 million check in the face?

18 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

I know you think Langford is good enough that the competition won’t matter, but I’m just playing devil’s advocate here. One could look at Vandy as being a better choice for maximizing draft position because he won’t be playing against the level of competition that he’d face in the B1G. I’d have to think he’d be averaging more in the SEC than the B1G.

Langford is the real deal.  6'5 with great athleticism, incredible leaping ability and unlimited range on his shot.   He appears to be a great team player and has an unflappable attitude on the court.  Whoever gets him, and it will be for only a year, has  a 20 plus ppg scorer from day one.  Have you seen him play in person?  That might help in your evaluation. 

11 minutes ago, jimmygoiu said:

Langford is the real deal.  6'5 with great athleticism, incredible leaping ability and unlimited range on his shot.   He appears to be a great team player and has an unflappable attitude on the court.  Whoever gets him, and it will be for only a year, has  a 20 plus ppg scorer from day one.  Have you seen him play in person?  That might help in your evaluation. 

Phisically in person, no. ESPN and streaming games online, yes. I’m in no way questioning what he’s done in high school. But as I’ve previously stated in this thread, I really don’t care what players do in high school. I do give him more credence because he plays his high school ball in Indiana but I’ve followed recruiting for quite a while and seen a lot of players that look like world beaters in HS and don’t pan out.

Obviously I want him at IU and hope he is what people say he is, but I never look at HS players as a foregone conclusion. Most people thought JBJ was a one and done, and that Anunoby would never contribute... You just never know.

20 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Well, it’s a hypotheticl topic... And the premise is pretty simple; good players look even better against weaker competition. With some players, it doesn’t matter. That very well may be the case with Langford. With others, I’d argue they’re better served playing in weaker conferences. You use Russell and Bridges to support your position whereas I’d use Anthony Bennett, Jaylen Brown, or hell, 75% of the 5 star players that go to UK to support mine.

Ok? They don't go there for a weak conf though..  so that doesn't help yours at all. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok? They don't go there for a weak conf though..  so that doesn't help yours at all. 

Players have all kinds of reasons for choosing a school. I don’t pretend to know each one’s personal motivation. And I’m pretty sure you don’t know their motivation either. And if I’m looking at a choice that affects my finances to the tune of millions of dollars, I’m evaluating every angle. These kids should be and probably are doing the same. One of those questions, to me, would be “how will these schools affect my draft stock.” It’s OK for us to say “Well he’ll get more exposure here,” but it’s unreasonable to say that a player might evaluate the level of success they’ll have against a particular schedule?

Archived