Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, cybergates said:

Taking competition into account means they try their best to evaluate a player based on competition level. If a player is putting up 30 points a game in high school or D2/JC is compared to a player putting up 30 points a game in the B1G, SEC, etc., you're trying to tell me that NBA scouts look at them the same? No way. NBA scouts certainly look at competition level. 

Lonzo Ball would have went #2 if he played in the ACC or Big East. You're contradicting yourself in those two paragraphs. First you say players are/were drafted high out of high school or internationally because competition isn't taken into account by NBA scouts, then you're saying Lonzo Ball would have dropped in the draft if he played in a tougher (IYO) conference. Which is it?

Players tend to fall in the draft (slightly IMO) if they play weak competition. See Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard, and CJ McCollum to name a few.

I’m saying that I don’t think Lonzo Ball goes as high in those conferences because I don’t think he looks as good throughout the season against the teams in those conferences as he did playing a PAC 12 schedule. The Lonzo Ball reference has nothing to do with scouts perception of the strength of the competition; it was reference to how I think he would’ve performed relative to the competition. 

My assertion in the first paragraph was that scouts don’t take competition into account all that heavily. Some picks, like those I referenced, are made based off the eye test. My second paragraph asserts that Ball appeared better against the PAC 12 than he would’ve in a stronger conference. The second paragraph has nothing to do with what scouts take into account.

11 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I’m saying that I don’t think Lonzo Ball goes as high in those conferences because I don’t think he looks as good throughout the season against the teams in those conferences as he did playing a PAC 12 schedule. The Lonzo Ball reference has nothing to do with scouts perception of the strength of the competition; it was reference to how I think he would’ve performed relative to the competition. 

My assertion in the first paragraph was that scouts don’t take competition into account all that heavily. Some picks, like those I referenced, are made based off the eye test. My second paragraph asserts that Ball appeared better against the PAC 12 than he would’ve in a stronger conference. The second paragraph has nothing to do with what scouts take into account.

I don't think many people actually thought Lonzo was the second best player in the draft. He just fit what the Lakers wanted with the pieces they already have and being a willing distributor to help attract top free agents this coming summer. 

14 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

There are 65 teams in the Power 5 conferences and I'll throw in the Big East which is another 12 teams, so 77 in total.

UCLA's strength of schedule last year was 33rd, so not like they played a bunch of cupcakes .

I am not a Ball family fan, but he played decent competition last year 

4 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

There are 65 teams in the Power 5 conferences and I'll throw in the Big East which is another 12 teams, so 77 in total.

UCLA's strength of schedule last year was 33rd, so not like they played a bunch of cupcakes .

I am not a Ball family fan, but he played decent competition last year 

Do you have a link to the data by chance? I’m not questioning you, I’m just curious about who was at the top. I started this tangent by throwing out a claim for the sake of discussion and haven’t really looked up data. I’m interested to see if the teams at the top reflect my argument.

6 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Do you have a link to the data by chance? I’m not questioning you, I’m just curious about who was at the top. I started this tangent by throwing out a claim for the sake of discussion and haven’t really looked up data. I’m interested to see if the teams at the top reflect my argument.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2017-04-04

2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

It looks like they're over signed by 2 (Agbaji not included on list) if this chart is accurate.

http://rockchalkblog.com/scholarship/

Interesting.  Since BIlly Preston is now overseas playing, that number reduces to 1(not including Agbaji).  So including Agbaji that makes them over signed by two.  Assume Malik Newman leaves for the draft and possibly Udoka Azubuike(unlikely IMO) they would need one current player to transfer in order to have Romeo join them.  Say Newman is the only one to leave for the NBA, they would def need 2 current players to transfer in order to have Romeo join them.  

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This signing can't hurt but Romeo is going to play/start from Day 1 wherever he goes meaning Self will make the necessary nudges to certain players that they can take a hike. Vick for example. 

Agreed, but he'll have to nudge two additional ones in additional to Vick who's likely a 2nd rounder at best/maybe a grad transfer I think.

If they're at 15, minus Preston who's gone overseas to make 14, plus Agbaji bring back up to 15. Vick forced out down to 14. Romeo could oversign to make 15 but he'd have to get rid of 2 before the season to get back to 13. Right?

So 3 underclassmen leaving if Romeo goes there, 2 if he doesn't for the commit of a 328th ranked player. Wow.

Obviously, Self knows his program and who might be leaving and the status of his pursuit of Romeo, but I'm taking this as a positive (biased).

Archived