Romeo Langford

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Think its a bit early to say Drew is a beast at recruiting. He got Garland because he's from Nashville. He got Shittu because of Garland. Impressive, but what's he done other than that? What's he done to make anyone think he'll continue to get 5* going forward?

He’s also done nothing to establish “excellent coach” status

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

I’ve always hated the style of play in the big 10 and think it’s set the conference back. It’s not conducive to NBA styles like the ACC or SEC. Maybe that’s changed but i don’t watch religiously anymore.

SEC style of play has always been closest to the Big 10, so it's not really more conducive to the NBA. ACC used to be faster/higher scoring, but that's changed recently. They've played very slightly faster than the Big 10 but have scored less and scored less efficiently this year than the Big 10 (pretty amazing change from where it was 10 years ago).

11 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Drew is an excellent coach. This season is a blip. They have great players coming in and Drew is obviously a beast at recruiting. 

Maybe Romeo likes the area better, the style of play, his vision for romeo, the school, the conference, and might just have a better relationship with the staff. People get caught up on history but new projections and making something great that has never been before has value in a different but equal way too. 

I’ve always hated the style of play in the big 10 and think it’s set the conference back. It’s not conducive to NBA styles like the ACC or SEC. Maybe that’s changed but i don’t watch religiously anymore.

We don’t know if Archie’s personality attracts top players but we do know Drew does. 

I had to take most of this year off for the first time in my life. 25 years of losing took its toll on me and It was obvious this would be yet another garbage team. I definitely had a mini meltdown on here lol. Taking the year off has been amazing and stress free. I’m ready to ease my way back into it with a hopefully less intense care about results now and moving forward.

Until Archie lands a top 20 player I’ll always maintain that it’s a long shot for them. 

We’ve got a chance though and that’s enough for the less stressed out IU fan in me.

Who said Drew is an excellent coach?  I missed the memo.  He made his hay off a program that his Dad and brother already had set in motion.  Don't really understand your logic here.  

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

We will have 4 starters back next year as long as Morgan stays put, and  some bench players who started with a good class coming in.   The only thing we don't have is an SG who can score.

Romeo is the missing piece. 

What 4 returning starters do you speak of? I count Morgan, Davis and possibly Green, who hasn’t started much. Maybe McRoberts? But I feel like he’s more of a poor man’s Sheehey, and think that he’s best served coming in to provide a spark off the bench. I definitely feel like we’re going to be very solid, possibly a threat in the B1G. If Romeo comes to IU, I think we could be a top 10-15 team nationally by next January, maybe higher. Lots of hypotheticals, but we’re going to be young in the backcourt. Losing Newkirk and Johnson will be addition by subtraction, but time and chemistry will tell the tale. The talent will most certainly be there. 

Anyway, I like Justin Smith getting big minutes next year, too. I know he and Green have had a few spot starts, but I hardly consider them to be starters this year... even though they probably should be. It’ll be interesting and I think that we’ll be pleased with the product.

2 hours ago, cybergates said:

Think its a bit early to say Drew is a beast at recruiting. He got Garland because he's from Nashville. He got Shittu because of Garland. Impressive, but what's he done other than that? What's he done to make anyone think he'll continue to get 5* going forward?

Drew got Shittu because he was radio-active fallout from the FBI investigation of Arizona.

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

What 4 returning starters do you speak of? I count Morgan, Davis and possibly Green, who hasn’t started much. Maybe McRoberts? But I feel like he’s more of a poor man’s Sheehey, and think that he’s best served coming in to provide a spark off the bench. I definitely feel like we’re going to be very solid, possibly a threat in the B1G. If Romeo comes to IU, I think we could be a top 10-15 team nationally by next January, maybe higher. Lots of hypotheticals, but we’re going to be young in the backcourt. Losing Newkirk and Johnson will be addition by subtraction, but time and chemistry will tell the tale. The talent will most certainly be there. 

Anyway, I like Justin Smith getting big minutes next year, too. I know he and Green have had a few spot starts, but I hardly consider them to be starters this year... even though they probably should be. It’ll be interesting and I think that we’ll be pleased with the product.

Morgan, Davis, McRoberts, and Green.  McRoberts has started 11 of 25 games, but he's now starting on a regular basis.    Green has started only 6-25 but I think he will be the starter at G ending the year.  Both Durham and Smith have 9 starts in 25 games.

I don't know who he compares to, doesn't really matter, but you can't help but be proud of the kid. The way he's handled the crush of admiration and celebrity, something very few of us have ever had to deal with obviously (maybe Mile or fouls!). In this day, to see a kid as grounded and humble as he seems to be is refreshing. 

I don't knew where he'll go, but like many, i sure would like the Romeo love-fest to continue for a couple years! 

Thank goodness he didn't sign early.

Just now, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I would have to think that could be a strong pull, thanks

I don’t think it’s any more or less of a pull than Garland and Shittu to Vandy.   I know he has cousins at IU but the girl friend is just a rumor I read some where either here or twitter.  I believe his GF is still in HS. Again just rumors I don’t know for sure.

4 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Green has definitely shown skill of a starting PG. Wipe his slate clean from earlier this year, he is what he is now...assuming he continues his style of play from the last few games.

As far as McRoberts goes, his defense is really good, he rebounds and gets on the floor, and his offense is not bad at all. I'll take 32 minutes of his defense/rebounding/hustle any day.

Next year, I see Green/Romeo/McRoberts/Morgan/Davis. Really don't need offense from McRoberts with a lineup like that, but that's a really, really nice, veteran lineup. With a pretty deep bench, we can get pretty aggressive on defense and go a little more uptempo on offense when Davis is taking a breather. I love our team next year with Romeo and Morgan!

3 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Thanks!! And WELCOME!!!

Glicod, it seems got the date wrong.  Shows Feb.8 instead of Feb. 9.  I went to Maxpreps to check NA's schedule.... and yes Romeo's game is tonight. And it looks like Glicod will broadcast another one of Romeo's games later this month as well.

And welcome to posting as well....Indytime  ! Appreciate the link.

3 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I just remember Luke Fisher. Left because of home sickness and a GF, never know......

Yes...but that GF was his Mom. She was down to Bloomington about 6x during his short tenure. Oh well. Regarding Romeo. Didn't know about GF or cousins. Certainly helps to have family/friends around. 

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yes...but that GF was his Mom. She was down to Bloomington about 6x during his short tenure. Oh well. Regarding Romeo. Didn't know about GF or cousins. Certainly helps to have family/friends around. 

Hmmm.... Wonder which way Mama Langford is leaning???  :D

In addition to the IU chants, maybe they should be playin, We Are Family?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBpYgpF1bqQ

Archived