Romeo Langford

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Sometimes the best thing you can do for the long term health of an organization is to make sure hard work doesn't go unnoticed. Especially when you're trying to build a culture of hard work. 

Or just food for thought. Hard work is expected. Just because you show it doesn't mean it's immediately rewarded. Worked for another coach. Might work again.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Bingo.  If we miss the tourney next season his seat will be on fire in year 3.  He will do whatever makes the team best.

There are lots of unknowns for next season. In best case scenario with Morgan and Langford, we can be a top 10 team. Worst case scenario would be that we'd be a young, rebuilding team without those two. If next season turns out to be the latter, I wouldn't be surprised if we miss the tournament. 

In the end, I'm a firm believer we finally got the right coach. Took us 17 years. I almost thought IU basketball was cursed like Boston RedSox or Chicago Cubs. 

1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

There are lots of unknowns for next season. In best case scenario with Morgan and Langford, we can be a top 10 team. Worst case scenario would be that we'd be a young, rebuilding team without those two. If next season turns out to be the latter, I wouldn't be surprised if we miss the tournament. 

In the end, I'm a firm believer we finally got the right coach. Took us 17 years. I almost thought IU basketball was cursed like Boston RedSox or Chicago Cubs. 

I had some questions initially but given our injuries and roster I'm pretty impressed. Get some better talent with same coaching. We'll be good by 2020. And good means competing at the top level. 

33 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Bingo.  If we miss the tourney next season his seat will be on fire in year 3.  He will do whatever makes the team best.

With no intention of implying our opinions differ.  The term 'whatever' frightens me as Indiana is seemingly one of the NCAA's favorite rodents in a game of whack-a-mole.  If 'whatever' includes ethical, legal, and moral decisions, I am all for it.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Or just food for thought. Hard work is expected. Just because you show it doesn't mean it's immediately rewarded. Worked for another coach. Might work again.

Sure, we could use Bob Knight's approach to things. I'm sure that will go over well in 2018. 

And frankly, the notion that McRoberts is simply meeting expectations is insulting to him. 

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Sometimes the best thing you can do for the long term health of an organization is to make sure hard work doesn't go unnoticed. Especially when you're trying to build a culture of hard work. 

I wouldn't consider getting to start for IU as being unnoticed.   Playing time can be a much bigger reward than money.  Zach is living out a dream that most of us had.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

5 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

I wouldn't consider getting to start for IU as being unnoticed.   Playing time can be a much bigger reward than money.  Zach is living out a dream that most of us had.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

I wouldn't exactly call that rewarding hard work either. I would say the playing time is what he has earned.

For all the talk earlier in the year from some about he shouldn't be playing key minutes because he wasn't on scholarship, he has more than proven to be one of our top 13 guys. Now we have a chance to reward that and many are suggesting we should activily look to fill it elsewhere; color me confused and a but disappointed. For a fan base that claims to care about more than just winning we sure seem slow to want to take care of a kid who has earned it; but then again he's a rich kid from Carmel who doesn't need it...

What more does a guy need to do to earn a scholarship? Or are scholarships not something you earn?

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Sure, we could use Bob Knight's approach to things. I'm sure that will go over well in 2018. 

And frankly, the notion that McRoberts is simply meeting expectations is insulting to him. 

I would think the notion that McRoberts is greatly over achieving would be far more insulting to him since it implies that he shouldn't be capable of performing the way he has so far. I would bet he believes he is capable of even more and doesn't feel entitled to a scholarship just for showing what he is capable of doing. Scholarship or no, his hard work and selflessness haven't gone unnoticed and the kid will likely reap the rewards the rest of his life. 

14 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

I would think the notion that McRoberts is greatly over achieving would be far more insulting to him since it implies that he shouldn't be capable of performing the way he has so far. I would bet he believes he is capable of even more and doesn't feel entitled to a scholarship just for showing what he is capable of doing. Scholarship or no, his hard work and selflessness haven't gone unnoticed and the kid will likely reap the rewards the rest of his life. 

Exactly. Hopefully this thread can back to Romeo. Debating McRoberts at this point (after family, coach, player are all on same page )seems a little futile in certain cases. 

1 hour ago, hoosierBGH said:

You dont think McRoberts has exceeded the expectations of a walk on? I'm sure he knew he was capable, to act as if he hasn't earned a scholarship is insulting. I'll ask again, are scholarships not something to be earned?

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You dont think McRoberts has exceeded the expectations of a walk on? I'm sure he knew he was capable, to act as if he hasn't earned a scholarship is insulting. I'll ask again, are scholarships not something to be earned?

This. It's no different than when a player comes in on scholarship and doesn't live up to expectations. People have no problem with the coach putting the writing on the wall for the player.

What about a walk on that probably becomes the 2nd best player on the team, and arguably the best defender? What if he exceeds nearly every scholarship player on the roster?

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd say starting him is a reward for his hard work, no? I think it's fine if he gets an available scholarship, but also fine if he doesn't get one due to lack of availability. For those who think he shouldn't need/get one because the family can afford school, someone with more knowledge can elaborate, but I think there are more differences between scholarship athletes and walk-ons than just tuition? I seem to remember reading about it long ago, so it may have changed since then.

I know I didn't help matters by replying to a McRoberts topic, but its very frustrating clicking on the Romeo thread and seeing I have several pages unread, thinking/hoping that there is some exciting Romeo news that has the thread moving quickly, only to find out that there's nothing about Romeo being said in those pages.

41 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

With his background and being a former D1 scholarship player I thought he would contribute. He has exceeded my expectations for typical walk ons but holding him to such a typically low standard is selling him more than a little short. He came to IU originally with no intention of even playing basketball any more, I doubt a scholarship is even a concern, nor do I think the lack of one detracts from his contributions. Getting playing time and helping the team win seem to be his priorities, not the entitlement that you are seemingly trying to project on to him. I'm not sure why you have chosen to make this your personal crusade (and in the Romeo thread of all places) but whether he gets a scholarship or not is between him and Coach Miller. 

15 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I'd say starting him is a reward for his hard work, no? I think it's fine if he gets an available scholarship, but also fine if he doesn't get one due to lack of availability. For those who think he shouldn't need/get one because the family can afford school, someone with more knowledge can elaborate, but I think there are more differences between scholarship athletes and walk-ons than just tuition? I seem to remember reading about it long ago, so it may have changed since then.

I know I didn't help matters by replying to a McRoberts topic, but its very frustrating clicking on the Romeo thread and seeing I have several pages unread, thinking/hoping that there is some exciting Romeo news that has the thread moving quickly, only to find out that there's nothing about Romeo being said in those pages.

No, starting is a natural progression of him being one of our best players. You don't throw new responsibilities and expectations on an employee and not give them a raise. 

10 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

With his background and being a former D1 scholarship player I thought he would contribute. He has exceeded my expectations for typical walk ons but holding him to such a typically low standard is selling him more than a little short. He came to IU originally with no intention of even playing basketball any more, I doubt a scholarship is even a concern, nor do I think the lack of one detracts from his contributions. Getting playing time and helping the team win seem to be his priorities, not the entitlement that you are seemingly trying to project on to him. I'm not sure why you have chosen to make this your personal crusade (and in the Romeo thread of all places) but whether he gets a scholarship or not is between him and Coach Miller. 

I've never once said he was entitled, I've said he has earned the scholarship. Not a single person has denied that, but plenty are advocating we give what he has earned to someone else just because we can at Zach's expense. How is that going justice to Zach? And if we can't even take care of the players we do have, why should any other players want to come? Culture matters. 

Zach has earned and deserves a scholarship. If you disagree, you’re just wrong. If there was one, he would be 1st team defensive All-B1G. 

This will not be an issue, as I’m sure Archie has already discussed extending a scholarship. Ive been told his brother is good with paying tuition next year. If this happens, it’s purely Zach being Zach. Unselfish, team first, win first, make us better any and every way he possibly can. 

Now, on to Romeo...

5 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Zach has earned and deserves a scholarship. If you disagree, you’re just wrong. If there was one, he would be 1st team defensive All-B1G. 

This will not be an issue, as I’m sure Archie has already discussed extending a scholarship. Ive been told his brother is good with paying tuition next year. If this happens, it’s purely Zach being Zach. Unselfish, team first, win first, make us better any and every way he possibly can. 

Now, on to Romeo...

This was along my line of thinking, we won't ever know if Archie offered Zach a scholarship for next year (unless he says so during an interview) and Zach said "No, go get Romeo and a Grad Transfer than can shoot the 3 and let's go hang a banner!"

That conversation from Zach would not surprise me in the least. Archie is not dumb enough to pass over Zach for an open scholarship without at least having a conversation about it with him. I can't believe Zach would already be committed to next year if that weren't the case.

I did mention Romeo is this post, so it belongs in the Romeo thread!!!

1 minute ago, Danomatic said:

Someone start a McBob thread in the general basketball discussions. 

I just heard from a coworker that Romeo might be in Bloomington for tomorrow nights game? Can anyone help confirm this, or just a rumor? If so, I’d say that the writing is all but on the wall.

He has an open invite to tomorrow's game according to Rabjohns.

Archived