Romeo Langford

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Can we make a rule in this thread? 

I propose no one is allowed to say “Romeo is afraid of the backlash he might get if he chooses Vandy”. This is such a ridiculous line. 

The backlash thing has never made an ounce of sense to me. So he would have gotten some boo's at some games. It would have lasted like a week and then people would move on. So, we're supposed to believe he put up with all the distractions and nonsense that come with recruiting (text and calls from coaches, visits from coaches, reporters constantly texting and calling, supposed "insiders" trying to find out where you're going, etc., etc.) while he's in the midst of chasing a scoring record and trying to win a state title, because he's afraid of some boos?

Then, the topic quickly shifts to 'he likes the long lines of autograph seekers after games and that would diminish if he had already committed to Vandy'. So he likes long lines of IU fans seeking his autograph and doesn't want to give that up during his high school season, where again he's trying to focus on some lofty goals, but he's super willing to give up a lifetime of Indiana fans adoring him for Vanderbilt?!?!

I don't know where he's going, and it very may well be Vandy, but the idea that it's already decided and hasn't been announced because he's afraid of backlash just doesn't add up whatsoever to me. If that was the reason, he's putting up with a TON of unnecessary distractions for a really silly reason. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Then, the topic quickly shifts to 'he likes the long lines of autograph seekers after games and that would diminish if he had already committed to Vandy'. So he likes long lines of IU fans seeking his autograph and doesn't want to give that up during his high school season, where again he's trying to focus on some lofty goals, but he's super willing to give up a lifetime of Indiana fans adoring him for Vanderbilt?!?!

Then, you can add to this (not sure if it was here, or on a different board...) someone was concerned that he doesn’t look very happy signing for all the IU fans. 

I cant take it anymore. 

30 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Then, you can add to this (not sure if it was here, or on a different board...) someone was concerned that he doesn’t look very happy signing for all the IU fans. 

I cant take it anymore. 

That was me, but the more I think about it Eric Gordon didn’t look all that excited signing autographs and he was coming to Indiana. Eric did sign a sweet IU hat for me at the barn storming tour . That was pretty cool. 

I think one big difference between the Darius Garland and the Romeo Garland recruitments is that Darius and his dad were very close and involved with Drew Bryce long before Darius committed to Vanderbilt.  Darius's dad Winston, who played in the NBA and was a Gary basketball star, was a head college and high school coach in the Region when Darius was young.  Bryce was very helpful to Winston in supporting his coaching career.  Of course, Darius also came to know him, also. 

Drew doesn't have that kind of relationship with Romeo. 

This 91-page thread has evolved into some genuine comic relief. If this delayed decision were about the 2-hour lines of autograph seekers at his games, Romeo would have already announced any school BUT IU just to get rid of the lines.  I seriously doubt he enjoys spending hours signing autographs after each game.  I go back to what his father said asking how would Romeo feel if he couldn't get his favorite player's autograph.  Romeo doesn't do this for his own personal entertainment or for vanity.  He does it out of a sense of obligation to the fans and a sense of treating others as he would want to be treated.  The idea that his ego enjoys seeing long lines of autograph hounds is just silly.

On the plus side, the silliness and all of the various conspiracy theories have been entertaining to read at times.:D

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This sort of apathy is the reason IU basketball has become Nebraska football. 

You're right. Maybe I, a 50 year old man, would be a better cheerleader if I went and stood in line at a NA game for an autograph because that would make me a "true" fan of IU hoops. 

I tire of the he said she said and all of the 'insider' info.  Why can't the average fan take this recruitment at face value.  I get that he is a once a decade type player and a prized individual along with being a prized basketball talent.  We will be great without him and even better with him.

I believe some 'have' to be 'in the know' and appear as such.  When the dust settles they get to appear right or perhaps better than others because they 'knew something'.  Don't get me wrong, there are incredible sources here and this is not aimed at any of those I consider a reliable source.  If you value my opinion of you as such, feel free to PM me.  There are too many I consider such to list.

The whole part of this last point is those that factually pass off their info with the intention of stepping on the necks of others later, the program you are a fan of be damned, I say Romeo and the rest of the fanbase deserve better.

If he goes somewhere else, sure it will sting, but it wont keep me from wishing him well and cheering for him elsewhere until he plays against IU.  I love seeing Indiana h.s. players in the NBA and the continuance of elite homegrown basketball talent represent the state.

3 hours ago, BEKA said:

You're right. Maybe I, a 50 year old man, would be a better cheerleader if I went and stood in line at a NA game for an autograph because that would make me a "true" fan of IU hoops. 

I get where you're coming from.  I think it's possible to be a passionate fan without IU basketball consuming you emotionally 24/7.  With age, comes perspective and getting overly upset at an 18-year-old's decision seems silly when put in perspective with things like school shootings, terrorist attacks and the threat of a nuclear holocaust.  With time and more life experience, fans like ADegenerate will likely understand this.

11 hours ago, BEKA said:

I think you misunderstood my post. Saying it's ok to lose out on someone before a decision has been made and listing out reasons why  it's ok is fine. Kind of insecure and confident lacking but fine I guess.

What I'm saying is never did our fans have that level of apathy. We do now. Hence the Nebraska football reference. We lost our edge as a program and have for quite some time. I think Archie is the one to bring us back though. You can tell he's got the edge, the toughness of a former player we've needed. Sampson had it too. 

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I get where you're coming from.  I think it's possible to be a passionate fan without IU basketball consuming you emotionally 24/7.  With age, comes perspective and getting overly upset at an 18-year-old's decision seems silly when put in perspective with things like school shootings, terrorist attacks and the threat of a nuclear holocaust.  With time and more life experience, fans like ADegenerate will likely understand this.

Good post. This stuff can consume you year round and it definitely got out of hand for me. Sometimes you just need a break away from it all and time to put things in perspective. I took most of this year off like I’ve mentioned but I’m back now and just enjoying the games again for the first time in a while. It’s just basketball at the end of the day and the amount of mental energy a lot of us put into the program is not healthy and can get out of control.

A little off topic but can you remember a time that IU seemed to get noticeably better toward the end of the year?! How awesome is this.

24 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Good post. This stuff can consume you year round and it definitely got out of hand for me. Sometimes you just need a break away from it all and time to put things in perspective. I took most of this year off like I’ve mentioned but I’m back now and just enjoying the games again for the first time in a while. It’s just basketball at the end of the day and the amount of mental energy a lot of us put into the program is not healthy and can get out of control.

A little off topic but can you remember a time that IU seemed to get noticeably better toward the end of the year?! How awesome is this.

Very refreshing. Saw this on ITH and was thinking the same thing...

"At the beginning of the season, the team’s goal was to finish the season in the top-50 in the country of defensive efficiency KenPom. Miller noted that after the first Iowa game, they were ranked 197th. Now, they’re 51st"

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

Very refreshing. Saw this on ITH and was thinking the same thing...

"At the beginning of the season, the team’s goal was to finish the season in the top-50 in the country of defensive efficiency KenPom. Miller noted that after the first Iowa game, they were ranked 197th. Now, they’re 51st"

Crazy how far this team has come, especially from a defensive standpoint, without a guy over 6’7 in the B1G.

There are tons of reasons for Langford to pick IU. There are a handful for him to pick Vandy or Kansas. But, I'm going to use a story to highlight why I'm confident. Before I share the story, keep two things in mind, 1) Langford routinely stays after games for hours to sign fan autographs (mostly IU fans) and he and his dad have spoken on how important that is too them, and 2) Tim Langford has routinely said this will be a business decision. 

Now to my story, which I've shared on other versions of HSN, but I don't think 3.0. When I was in 6th grade I was on the travel team in my town, and our coach was a pretty prominent Indiana basketball figure (former Mr. Basketball). It was also Damon Bailey's senior year in high school. Our high school team was playing BNL and the game was being held at Hinkle because of the large demand. So, my 6th grade coach arranged for our travel team to practice at Hinkle before the game, and he arranged for Damon to stop by and speak to the team and take a team picture. 

So, Damon shows up at practice and we're about to take a team pic when Damon says to our coach, "How about I take a pic with each kid individually. When you get the pics mail them to me and I'll personalize a note/autograph to each kid and mail them back to you". What a mature and class move for a high school senior. 

Long story, short, I still have that picture. I kept it all these years. It's not like it's displayed in my house or anything, but I still have it and remember that time so fondly when I come across it. 

So, what's the point and how does the story relate to Langford? Do you think I hold onto that picture for almost 25+ years and remember it so fondly if Damon Bailey goes to Wake Forest? What if Damon goes to TCU? Highly doubtful. 

I don't think kids thought this way in 1990, but by signing those individual autographs and yes by going to IU Damon was making a smart business decision. So unless there's something against the rules going on, then the best business decision for Langford is to go to IU. It's what is best for his brand and that seems to be of high importance. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

There are tons of reasons for Langford to pick IU. There are a handful for him to pick Vandy or Kansas. But, I'm going to use a story to highlight why I'm confident. Before I share the story, keep two things in mind, 1) Langford routinely stays after games for hours to sign fan autographs (mostly IU fans) and he and his dad have spoken on how important that is too them, and 2) Tim Langford has routinely said this will be a business decision. 

Now to my story, which I've shared on other versions of HSN, but I don't think 3.0. When I was in 6th grade I was on the travel team in my town, and our coach was a pretty prominent Indiana basketball figure (former Mr. Basketball). It was also Damon Bailey's senior year in high school. Our high school team was playing BNL and the game was being held at Hinkle because of the large demand. So, my 6th grade coach arranged for our travel team to practice at Hinkle before the game, and he arranged for Damon to stop by and speak to the team and take a team picture. 

So, Damon shows up at practice and we're about to take a team pic when Damon says to our coach, "How about I take a pic with each kid individually. When you get the pics mail them to me and I'll personalize a note/autograph to each kid and mail them back to you". What a mature and class move for a high school senior. 

Long story, short, I still have that picture. I kept it all these years. It's not like it's displayed in my house or anything, but I still have it and remember that time so fondly when I come across it. 

So, what's the point and how does the story relate to Langford? Do you think I hold onto that picture for almost 25+ years and remember it so fondly if Damon Bailey goes to Wake Forest? What if Damon goes to TCU? Highly doubtful. 

I don't think kids thought this way in 1990, but by signing those individual autographs and yes by going to IU Damon was making a smart business decision. So unless there's something against the rules going on, then the best business decision for Langford is to go to IU. It's what is best for his brand and that seems to be of high importance. 

Romeo, you listening ?!?!

Take it for what it is worth but listening to Kent Sterling a few minutes ago and he is from New Albany.  He said the people he knows in New Albany is telling him IU is way out in the lead for Romeo.  Nobody really knows where Romeo is going and we will have these rumors going around for another month.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Take it for what it is worth but listening to Kent Sterling a few minutes ago and he is from New Albany.  He said the people he knows in New Albany is telling him IU is way out in the lead for Romeo.  Nobody really knows where Romeo is going and we will have these rumors going around for another month.

Been a fun ride, hasn't it?  I'm sure we'll go through at least another cycle or two of Romeo being a lock to go to Kansas or Vandy.:snack:

Archived