Romeo Langford

12 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

Rabjohns and Bozich both linked that article and each said “So Vanderbilt allows recruits to be interviewed while on visits, interesting” or something like that.  Is that uncommon or am I missing something?

Thanks for posting this. When I was catching up this morning on yesterday I said the same thing. It's a violation while on visits. That's why all our guys (Rabby, Bozich,etc...) wait until they get home on Sunday night to do interviews. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering I never post on this site, I'm sure my opinion doesn't have any weight. But I got to thinking about this recruitment and where we are in this process.

We never had any chance with CTC here, so we've come a long way in the last year. The ground CAM has made up since he was hired is outstanding. If we don't get Romeo, I truly believe that we are still in great shape as a program going forward.

My only other thought right now... Does anyone believe that we would be in a completely different situation if CAM had been at IU one year earlier?

I think some people can't get their minds around the fact that Vandy is on the list at all.  They assume that since Vandy is even one of the finalists, it must be because he is going there.  So, they concoct these elaborate fantasies like Garland has cast a spell on Romeo, or Vandy is dirty.  

I don't think some would be as pessimistic as they are now if it was UK on the short list instead of Vandy.   The brain does not automatically reject that as a logical possibility.  

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think some people can't get their minds around the fact that Vandy is on the list at all.  They assume that since Vandy is even one of the finalists, it must be because he is going there.  So, they concoct these elaborate fantasies like Garland has cast a spell on Romeo, or Vandy is dirty.  

I don't think some would be as pessimistic as they are now if it was UK on the short list instead of Vandy.   The brain does not automatically reject that as a logical possibility.  

That makes a lot of sense.  I also think until we land another BIG FISH, this fan base will protect its fragile psyche.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

If Romeo chooses Vandy I'll be done with 5 star recruiting forever as it relates to in state prospects. Don't drag us along, don't include is in your list for notoriety and attention....getting very tired of spring verbals and some of these recent 5 star guys. Unfortunately for the Keion Brooks of the world. I won't be paying attention one bit to his decision if Romeo (and his Dad) have been stringing us along.

Forever?

11 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I don't know why Tim Langford would say that.  Maybe to make the IU fan base believe that Romeo is seriously considering IU even though he's not.  Why did Winston Garland say all those great things about IU that made many to believe IU was the clear front runner when it's obvious we were never in it?

So is Langford trying to avoid backlash or not? Why would a family that is so afraid of backlash and potential boos (that, let’s be honest, would never really happen) of IU fans go out of their way to falsely build up the hopes of the very fanbase their trying to avoid backlash from?

It literally makes absolutely zero sense  

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

So is Langford trying to avoid backlash or not? Why would a family that is so afraid of backlash and potential boos (that, let’s be honest, would never really happen) of IU fans go out of their way to falsely build up the hopes of the very fanbase their trying to avoid backlash from?

It literally makes absolutely zero sense  

I am not about to get into Tim Langford's mind, as I said earlier.   Just passing the information around that has been widely publicized for those who either doubt it, or have not seen it.  Such as this article from the IndyStar, where Tim Talks.  "Tim Langford, there could be another trip to IU coming up."

With Damon Bailey across the way, Romeo Langford scores 25, gets win

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I am not about to get into Tim Langford's mind, as I said earlier.   Just passing the information around that has been widely publicized for those who either doubt it, or have not seen it.  Such as this article from the IndyStar, where Tim Talks.  "Tim Langford, there could be another trip to IU coming up."

With Damon Bailey across the way, Romeo Langford scores 25, gets win

Thanks for the link, Mile! Let’s hope they make that visit  

I was making the point that the Langford’s trying to visit again doesn’t jive with the theory that they’re afraid of, or at minimum just trying to avoid, backlash from IU fans. If they were trying to avoid backlash they wouldn’t be building up IU fans hopes. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Thanks for the link, Mile! Let’s hope they make that visit  

I was making the point that the Langford’s trying to visit again doesn’t jive with the theory that they’re afraid of, or at minimum just trying to avoid, backlash from IU fans. If they were trying to avoid backlash they wouldn’t be building up IU fans hopes. 

Ah, gotcha !

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Regarding the backlash: they live in an area with nearly as many UK and UL fans as IU, yet those two didn't even make his final list. Why wasn't the family afraid to piss off those fans?

I would think UK fans don't care because they have numerous other 5 star recruits. He decided against UL because of Pitino and the FBI probe, so they have no reason to be upset either.

Being an Indiana kid and chasing Damon's record more or less puts IU in the picture whether he is considering them or not.

13 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I think that had the L'ville fiasco not happened, Romeo would be a Cardinal, JMO......

Do not underestimate the impact of Archie's hire at IU.  The things that Archie can sell would have resonated whether Pitino was still at Louisville or not.  IU is in play because of Archie's style of play and his vision for the program.  If it was simply a 'going to IU thing', then Crean would have made better inroads with the Langfords.   

1 hour ago, T-Free20 said:

Being an Indiana kid and chasing Damon's record more or less puts IU in the picture whether he is considering them or not.

This is a verifiably false statement. IU wasn't in the picture when he was an Indiana kid chasing Damon's record and Tom Crean was our coach. 

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I know we're just joking and what not, but I have read when he does his autograph sessions he has signed "Vanderbilt" on shirts etc. And dbm may be on to something, I'm thinking it's not IU.......

Seems like that would be an easy thing to get a picture of, doesn't it?

3 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I know we're just joking and what not, but I have read when he does his autograph sessions he has signed "Vanderbilt" on shirts etc. And dbm may be on to something, I'm thinking it's not IU.......

I’m sure he signs whatever the fan’s ask of him, and I don’t think that necessarily means anything.  I would bet he’s signed IU a heck of a lot more than Vandy, but that probably doesn’t get publicized.

Just now, StLHoosier said:

I’m sure he signs whatever the fan’s ask of him, and I don’t think that necessarily means anything.  I would bet he’s signed IU a heck of a lot more than Vandy, but that probably doesn’t get publicized.

Now if I read where he signed some IU autographs while he was at Vandy, I'd feel better.......

Archived