Romeo Langford

9 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Agreed but the 2019 class will define Archie's success here.  It needs to be a home run class or he won't be here long-term.  You can bank that.  Guys like Phinesee, Hunter, and Anderson won't cut it.  He needs 2 stars in that class assuming Romeo is out which he is.

Reading your posts is like watching the barber shop scene in Hoosiers :)

Let’s say that our next ten years mirrored the last ten years of Villanova or Xavier or Wisconsin or Wichita State or Gonzaga or even Butler for that matter. The success of those programs is almost exclusively on the backs of players the level of Phinisee, Hunter, and Anderson etc...Good players, great culture, consistency rather than player turnover, good roster makeup, good teaching, and voila IU is winning at a high level. Guys like Romeo would create even more buzz for sure, and make a huge difference ala Jalen Brunson, but they are not a prerequisite for sustained success.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted this in the 2018 options thread, but thought it fit better here...

One sign that never gets brought up in the Langford recruitment is that Vandy is over-signed and yet is still recruiting players in the 2018 class other than Langford, I believe Kansas just went over-signed by getting a commitment from a 3* wing a few weeks ago though am not sure if they're still going after others in the class, yet IU has had two open scholarships for months and we haven't heard a peep of Archie going after anyone else in the 2018 class. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Posted this in the 2018 options thread, but thought it fit better here...

One sign that never gets brought up in the Langford recruitment is that Vandy is over-signed and yet is still recruiting players in the 2018 class other than Langford, I believe Kansas just went over-signed by getting a commitment from a 3* wing a few weeks ago though am not sure if they're still going after others in the class, yet IU has had two open scholarships for months and we haven't heard a peep of Archie going after anyone else in the 2018 class. 

Thanks for bringing this up. I know how much our fans like discuss the over sign,etc....we all know Romeo will get a spot wherever he chooses. Vandy or Kansas will boot someone. I can't help but think though it isn't a consideration (even a small one) that Langford's should consider. Archie is saying loud and clear. We are holding this spot for you. No one will be kicked to the curb for you. I know it's a small consideration but it does look/speak well for Archie and his staff. Commitment is there from our end. 

19 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Reading your posts is like watching the barber shop scene in Hoosiers :)

Let’s say that our next ten years mirrored the last ten years of Villanova or Xavier or Wisconsin or Wichita State or Gonzaga or even Butler for that matter. The success of those programs is almost exclusively on the backs of players the level of Phinisee, Hunter, and Anderson etc...Good players, great culture, consistency rather than player turnover, good roster makeup, good teaching, and voila IU is winning at a high level. Guys like Romeo would create even more buzz for sure, and make a huge difference ala Jalen Brunson, but they are not a prerequisite for sustained success.

Love this line. I'd say Villanova is a pretty ideal model to follow - they have a couple of 5 stars on the roster, but mostly Jay Wright targets underrated 4 star or high 3 star guys that fit his system.  For example Donte DiVencenzo may have been #124 in his class, but can anybody watch that kid play and argue he's not a stud?

Xavier has been successful too but I'm not really interested in having a "culture" like they do. I love watching Villanova play though, and would sign up for that kind of program in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Love this line. I'd say Villanova is a pretty ideal model to follow - they have a couple of 5 stars on the roster, but mostly Jay Wright targets underrated 4 star or high 3 star guys that fit his system.  For example Donte DiVencenzo may have been #124 in his class, but can anybody watch that kid play and argue he's not a stud?

Xavier has been successful too but I'm not really interested in having a "culture" like they do. I love watching Villanova play though, and would sign up for that kind of program in a heartbeat.

Fair point on Xavier’s culture. I’m not sure what to make if Chris Mack in that regard. I was not impressed with his response to the brawl with Cincinnati a few years back... 

Maybe Virginia is the best example I left out, I know that they get their fair share of 4* recruits, but not very many 5* and probably just as many underrated 3* prospects.

I’d like to push the pace a bit more than them, but they win really consistently and have an exemplary culture.

The roster management it seems Archie is striving for will give us Big Ten results no less than Bo Ryan, who never finished lower than 4th. IMO, that’s our floor. Every year, starting next year, we will compete for Big Ten championships (We may compete for a BTT championship this year). We will land some 5-stars, but we will be stacked with 4-stars that learn how to play Archieball from day 1. What will separate Archie’s IU from Bo Ryan’s Wisconsin is the athletes and length he brings to the system. We will be able to lean on better talent on days where we aren’t at our best. As far as pace goes (mentioned above), Archie stated (or it was a player) that we want to play faster on offense. What’s great about Archie, is he won’t exchange increased pace for slop. 

On 2/18/2018 at 1:20 PM, KoB2011 said:

This is a verifiably false statement. IU wasn't in the picture when he was an Indiana kid chasing Damon's record and Tom Crean was our coach. 

Maybe I didn't word my statement correctly. Yes, with Crean as our coach he was never going to consider IU. But, IU was always going to be in the picture just because he's an Indiana kid. Hence why we are in his final 3 now that we have a new coach.

Really don’t think that article is that off-base.  It is a fact that if the fans knew he wasn’t going to IU, the hype around his final games would be lowered significantly.  He obviously enjoys the hype — if he didn’t, he wouldn’t be sticking around to sign autographs for 2 hours after every game.  The hype is also good for his brand.  Garland similarly took advantage of the IU hype machine while stringing the IU fanbase and media along.

There are a number of reasons why he might be waiting, but it seems pretty likely he knows where he’s going at this point.  If it ends up being Vandy, I think it will be pretty obvious that he was going to Vandy all along.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:08 AM, RoadToZion said:

20 minutes ago, rico said:

What ever Romeo decides is fine by me..........I ain't gonna loose any sleep over decision.

I happened to luck into seeing Drew's time out "strategy" session with just under three minutes left in Saturday's game against Florida.    If Romeo wants to play for that kind of "coach",  good luck to him.   I was gob-smacked at the lack of insight a college level coach was offering to his team....

McHoop

1 minute ago, McHoop said:

I happened to luck into seeing Drew's time out "strategy" session with just under three minutes left in Saturday's game against Florida.    If Romeo wants to play for that kind of "coach",  good luck to him.   I was gob-smacked at the lack of insight a college level coach was offering to his team....

McHoop

Elaborate.

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2018/2/19/17027546/why-the-evidence-suggests-romeo-langford-isnt-coming-to-indiana#comments

This sums up what I’ve been saying. It’s not what I want but it’s reality. 

Part of the article I don't agree with is that he would have been treated badly if he chose another school already.  How many 5 star players from Indiana have decided to go elsewhere that was really treated badly.

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Part of the article I don't agree with is that he would have been treated badly if he chose another school already.  How many 5 star players from Indiana have decided to go elsewhere that was really treated badly.

I’m not saying it’s for sure a factor but that’s what I was told several months ago when his mind changed for whatever reason.  Now since I’ve been told IU has made up some ground but not by the same people who I usually speak with.  Something happened after Hoosier Hysteria, I just don’t know what yet.  Maybe after he commits he will elaborate on why he chose who he chooses.  I’m sure he will have nothing but positive things to say regarding all his suitors.  Kid is a class act, or at least seems to be.

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m not saying it’s for sure a factor but that’s what I was told several months ago when his mind changed for whatever reason.  Now since I’ve been told IU has made up some ground but not by the same people who I usually speak with.  Something happened after Hoosier Hysteria, I just don’t know what yet.  Maybe after he commits he will elaborate on why he chose who he chooses.  I’m sure he will have nothing but positive things to say regarding all his suitors.  Kid is a class act, or at least seems to be.

I am ready for this to get over with so we can move on and worry about the players who are already playing or committed to IU.  Are you still hearing IU has a good chance or are you hearing it is Vandy.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

None, that I can think of.  

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am ready for this to get over with so we can move on and worry about the players who are already playing or committed to IU.  Are you still hearing IU has a good chance or are you hearing it is Vandy.

Everyone has been quiet for a while on this.  Honestly I don’t think anyone knows except the Langford’s. My gut tells me it’s Vandy but not from anything I’ve been told recently 

51 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Darius Garland happened. 

All the hand-wringing and pessimism is unnecessary. I think there is an excellent chance he comes to IU but I also think the team is going to be good either way, even if Morgan leaves a year early and Langford goes elsewhere.  It Morgan stays, the team is very good and if Langford joins, I can't think of a team IU won't be able to compete heads-up with. 

The idea that he'd be met with torches and pitchforks at every gym if he picked another school is just nonsense.  Has anyone heard of Rob Phinisee taking serious abuse up in Purdue country?  What about Damezi Anderson?  He doesn't exactly play in IU country either.  Scott May, Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Gary Harris, Eric Montross...did any of these players experience extreme hostility after their decisions were made public?  That's one of the silliest reason theories I've ever heard about a recruit, but I guess this has been one of the silliest recruiting chases I've witnessed in awhile so in that respect, it fits.

42 minutes ago, rico said:

None, that I can think of.  

Part if that is if all of us were being completely honest we'd all have to admit that it was in the best interest of all of those guys.. May, Harris, Oden, Conley, Lyles,  etc to go elsewhere.  No one can honestly say it's in there best interest to play for Tom Crean or Mike Davis.  This situation is completely different.   IU is clearly a better fit for Romeo than Vandy.  You can't even debate that.  If he committed to Duke, UNC, or Kansas none of us would like it but we'd all understand it.  But Vandy?  Romeo would most certainly receive enormous backlash if he commits to Vandy and rightfully so. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I’m pretty sure I remember it happening to Harris. It’s hard to go back and find proof but I did find this quote from his dad in an article about Harris being booed by IU fans when MSU visited: 

“As long as it was clean, I’m fine with it,” said Harris, Sr. “It’s just kinda like high school, he’s used to it.”

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Part if that is if all of us were being completely honest we'd all have to admit that it was in the best interest of all of those guys.. May, Harris, Oden, Conley, Lyles,  etc to go elsewhere.  No one can honestly say it's in there best interest to play for Tom Crean or Mike Davis.  This situation is completely different.   IU is clearly a better fit for Romeo than Vandy.  You can't even debate that.  If he committed to Duke, UNC, or Kansas none of us would like it but we'd all understand it.  But Vandy?  Romeo would most certainly receive enormous backlash if he commits to Vandy and rightfully so. 

Why?  I get questioning the wisdom of the decision, but I'd be shocked if fans as a whole turn ugly if he announced he was going to Vandy.  It's not our lives so it's not our decision. Outside of a few nutcases you will always have, I think most fans would react first with disappointment and then shortly thereafter, with indifference.

1 minute ago, Bigred3588 said:

I’m pretty sure I remember it happening to Harris. It’s hard to go back and find proof but I did find this quote from his dad in an article about Harris being booed by IU fans when MSU visited: 

“As long as it was clean, I’m fine with it,” said Harris, Sr. “It’s just kinda like high school, he’s used to it.”

That doesn't surprise me at all. Luke Recker got booed too.  I don't think most players would think much about being booed like that.  If that affected a player to any significant degree, they're probably too fragile to play college ball.

Archived