Romeo Langford

The “backlash” argument seems like kind of a strawman.  I don’t think anyone here is arguing there would be a legitimate backlash if he chose Vandy, in terms of booing and angry fans.  But the fans would be indifferent, and that would be a huge change from what’s happening currently.  And there’s no doubt the Langfords are milking that attention for all it’s worth right now.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That doesn't surprise me at all. Luke Recker got booed too.  I don't think most players would think much about being booed like that.  If that affected a player to any significant degree, they're probably too fragile to play college ball.

I was talking more about the “it’s just kind of like high school,” comment. I’m pretty sure I remember fans being hostile toward Harris after he declared. I don’t think the backlash would be too bad for Langford as a lot of the people around New Albany aren’t IU fans. I definitely saw it around the Indianapolis area when I was in HS though. Carney, Teague, Conley, Oden, and McRoberts all dealt with hostility regarding their choice, as did Gordon before he switched. And I know that for a fact; I saw all those kids play and was at games where it happened.

You also have to remember that it’s not just in the games. They hear about it from classmates, people in town, etc... I have a relative from Indiana that went to Michigan and used to hear about it.

Again, I don’t think Langford would have to deal with it much. I’m more in the group that feels people would just become indifferent.

Just now, CoachSS said:

It seems a certain poster on here thinks I'm a lunatic for thinking that Indiana has a chance here. 

Nothing in the past few weeks has changed this belief. 

We'll know a lot more in the coming days and weeks. Go Hoosiers. 

Will be interesting to see if the Langfords make another trip to Btown like they've been talking about....

5 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

It seems a certain poster on here thinks I'm a lunatic for thinking that Indiana has a chance here. 

Nothing in the past few weeks has changed this belief. 

We'll know a lot more in the coming days and weeks. Go Hoosiers. 

We've got a few posters that tend to speak in absolutes. I've learned to take them with a grain of salt even though the representation that they "know" what's going to take place is a tad annoying at times.  It's not just the negative folks...we've had plenty of people saying certain players/coaches were a done deal to IU only to find out that they were absolutely wrong as well.

Thanks for sharing. I don't think it's hopeless either but I also don't pretend to know something only to have a bunch of egg on my face later when proven wrong.

Without derailing this thread...Montross family, McRoberts when older brother chose Duke were  two I know that got personal. Why is it that Oden is in Columbus (minus the degree BS....he came back to Indy only a few times), Conley family hasn't stepped back into town since they chose Buckeyes....Recker family after transfer....the Blackmon family got the message loud and clear...history is littered with high profile guys who chose elsewhere that if they opened up they would tell you it was tough. Obviously Trey Lyles and his little Dad won't be calling Indy home again. 

We didn't lose many recruits in the 80's and 90's because of Coach Knight and yes..that pressure to go to IU. 

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

More than that

I won't ask you to disclose. I'm not dialed in at all. However I do run with some folks over the years to know there's always plenty more to each and every high level recruitment....and what happens afterwards. To dismiss backlash or the idea of something more would be foolish. 

41 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I’m pretty sure I remember it happening to Harris. It’s hard to go back and find proof but I did find this quote from his dad in an article about Harris being booed by IU fans when MSU visited: 

“As long as it was clean, I’m fine with it,” said Harris, Sr. “It’s just kinda like high school, he’s used to it.”

Romeo would absolutely be booed if he came to Assembly Hall as a Commodore. The backlash straw man is that he would get booed while still in high school. 

32 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I was talking more about the “it’s just kind of like high school,” comment. I’m pretty sure I remember fans being hostile toward Harris after he declared. I don’t think the backlash would be too bad for Langford as a lot of the people around New Albany aren’t IU fans. I definitely saw it around the Indianapolis area when I was in HS though. Carney, Teague, Conley, Oden, and McRoberts all dealt with hostility regarding their choice, as did Gordon before he switched. And I know that for a fact; I saw all those kids play and was at games where it happened.

You also have to remember that it’s not just in the games. They hear about it from classmates, people in town, etc... I have a relative from Indiana that went to Michigan and used to hear about it.

Again, I don’t think Langford would have to deal with it much. I’m more in the group that feels people would just become indifferent.

The central Indiana kids got booed because they were playing in rival gyms. LN is going to get booed when they travel around the MIC. Everyone believed Oden and Conley were recruited by Keefer. Had nothing to do with a college choice. 

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Without derailing this thread...Montross family, McRoberts when older brother chose Duke were  two I know that got personal. Why is it that Oden is in Columbus (minus the degree BS....he came back to Indy only a few times), Conley family hasn't stepped back into town since they chose Buckeyes....Recker family after transfer....the Blackmon family got the message loud and clear...history is littered with high profile guys who chose elsewhere that if they opened up they would tell you it was tough. Obviously Trey Lyles and his little Dad won't be calling Indy home again. 

We didn't lose many recruits in the 80's and 90's because of Coach Knight and yes..that pressure to go to IU. 

I literally went bowling with Mike Conley at Woodland Bowl in Indianapolis after he was a Grizzlie. Oden assaulted his girlfriend in Lawrence. Neither the Conley’s or the Odens were from Indy originally so their families not being in town means nothing. 

5 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2018/2/19/17027546/why-the-evidence-suggests-romeo-langford-isnt-coming-to-indiana#comments

This sums up what I’ve been saying. It’s not what I want but it’s reality. 

Not saying that the author of this article will end up being entirely wrong, but there is a glaring logical flaw in the construction of his argument. If the geographic radius of rabid IU fandom ends "somewhere around Orange County", then how do you make the leap to "boos and hatefulness" in every gym RL visits if he doesn't announce for IU?  NA plays most of their games in that corner of the state. Outside of Bloomington (North and South), in what universe is this kid booed out of the gym? This is dumb. The author should replace "why the evidence suggests", with "why my opinion suggests".  

Tim Langford says in a VIP article on 247 that he told the Indiana coaches, "After the season or just before Romeo commits that we will make it up there to let them have their last chance to sell Romeo on how he fits into their program." 

He recaps the Vandy visit in the article, and the Bill Self in-home visit. From my view, he didn't sound to blown away by the Vandy visit, but he says they enjoyed the visit, that it was a good atmosphere and that Coach Drew impressed them with the adjustments he made to win... Good one, Tim. Lol

Just now, BEKA said:

Not saying that the author of this article will end up being entirely wrong, but there is a glaring logical flaw in the construction of his argument. If the geographic radius of rabid IU fandom ends "somewhere around Orange County", then how do you make the leap to "boos and hatefulness" in every gym RL visits if he doesn't announce for IU?  NA plays most of their games in that corner of the state. Outside of Bloomington (North and South), in what universe is this kid booed out of the gym? This is dumb. The author should replace "why the evidence suggests", with "why my opinion suggests".  

Crimson Quarry doesn’t hide the fact that they are just in it for the clicks. They still tweet about longing for the Crean days. 

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Piston Honda said that there were strings attached to Romeo’s recruitment. That’s all he offered. He’s pretty connected. 

Darn. Guess I didn't want to believe when Dakich threw something out on air last month. Basically said who knows. Mentioned Tim Langford briefly and changed subject. That would truly be a shame. I guess we'll find out if Archie stopped recruiting for a reason or if he's saving the visits.

Thanks for the reply. 

9 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Piston Honda said that there were strings attached to Romeo’s recruitment. That’s all he offered. He’s pretty connected. 

Then that also makes me wonder what's going on with Vandy......

And I might also add that if any of that is remotely true, it puts it all in a different light as far as I'm concerned

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Darn. Guess I didn't want to believe when Dakich threw something out on air last month. Basically said who knows. Mentioned Tim Langford briefly and changed subject. That would truly be a shame. I guess we'll find out if Archie stopped recruiting for a reason or if he's saving the visits.

Thanks for the reply. 

What did DD say as I usually have him on mute, LOL!!!

Archived