Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the narrative now is that we’re not getting him because some other school is doing shady stuff? 

How many times have we lost top kids out to other schools for neferious reasons? Seems like that’s been going on for 20 years.

very well could be true mind you. Still sitting here rolling my eyes either way.

It’s probably because we are behind.  It wouldn’t surprise me that some shady is going on especially if Vanderbilt is the choice. I also could see Romeo not wanting to have a coach as demanding as what Archie will be. He might just want to go have fun for a year and do whatever he wants with his buddy before Getting paid as a pro

12 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

So the narrative now is that we’re not getting him because some other school is doing shady stuff? 

How many times have we lost top kids out to other schools for neferious reasons? Seems like that’s been going on for 20 years.

very well could be true mind you. Still sitting here rolling my eyes either way.

Remember when people was wondering why we did not get some kids that Crean was recruiting and then Crean said something about not playing those kind of games.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can promise you the Vandy boards are not questioning the young man's integrity.  Wonder how Romeo woud react if he were to read that implication on this thread.  Point to Vandy for treating him with more respect.

It’s a Internet forum that’s 100 pages.  It’s just speculation on something someone said.  Even if he chooses Vandy, it doesn’t mean that he is on the take.  Everyone is just saying that IF he is, no thank you.

Just now, 5fouls said:

I can promise you the Vandy boards are not questioning the young man's integrity.  Wonder how Romeo woud react if he were to read that implication on this thread.  Point to Vandy for treating him with more respect.

100% agree. This is how internet nonsense goes viral. It makes zero sense that a family, that by all accounts, are pillars of their community and have raised a fantastic, god-gifted son would go dirty this late in the game. Why would a family with a son that is set to make multiple millions of dollars in one or two years risk everything for a few bucks in some stupid college recruiting battle? This is some stupid fantastical garbage fed to fans by the likes of idiots like Dakich (and other know-nothings) for the sake of stirring the pot. As IU fans, we should be above this crap. 

This narrative doesn't stick to me with a family like the langford's.  If this is truly a long term business decision, Bailey's advice is the best argument I have heard.  There is no longer term thinking in taking a comparatively small payout now to go to a peanuts of the basketball world Vandy.  Talk back in october/November after a Kansas visit was it didn't go well and it became a 2 horse race.  Now a well respected insider changes his crystal ball to Kansas.  But everyone else is leaning Vandy.  Sounds like no one really knows but the langford's.  Hum.  Where's he going to go? Nobody knows.  

The timeline of iu losing steam is the beginning of the season when we were playing like hot garbage.  

3 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Why would a family with a son that is set to make multiple millions of dollars in one or two years risk everything for a few bucks in some stupid college recruiting battle?

Not saying that they are, but there’s PLENTY of examples over the years with people/families in the same position, that have received extra benefits.  Heck, just look at Preston at Kansas as the most recent example.

3 minutes ago, BEKA said:

100% agree. This is how internet nonsense goes viral. It makes zero sense that a family, that by all accounts, are pillars of their community and have raised a fantastic, god-gifted son would go dirty this late in the game. Why would a family with a son that is set to make multiple millions of dollars in one or two years risk everything for a few bucks in some stupid college recruiting battle? This is some stupid fantastical garbage fed to fans by the likes of idiots like Dakich (and other know-nothings) for the sake of stirring the pot. As IU fans, we should be above this crap. 

Or offer the proof. If you post rumors, why not post the actual (if need be redacted) story? I am not sure I understand the difference? At this point if you claim to have heard things and post that claim, how is that any different than posting the actual rumor? 

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, is the board implying that if he chooses Vandy, he's on the take.  But if he chooses IU he's not?  How is thst fair to the kid.  Geez people.

Pretty disturbing to see the tone this is taking.  Anywhere from he has been playing us all along to, he got paid off; I wouldn't come here if the biggest, best fans of the program talked about me that way.  

Are we really letting one negative poster take up this much space inside our heads?  Regardless of where Romeo goes, we are running a kid through the mud because we are trusting a guy who knows nothing.  Romeo going to Vandy would not prove him right, his methods are flawed regardless. 

So many problems with this line of thinking.

1) Romeo Langford is one of the most mature, respectful high schoolers I've ever seen. You want me to believe the same family who raised that kid is secretly selling his future to the highest bidder?

2) The Langfords are not struggling to get by. Romeo is likely going to make tens of millions of dollars in the next decade. They are going to ruin their integrity and jeopardize their son's integrity for $100K like Bruce Bowen got? That will be one month's take home pay (or more) for Romeo in a year if he wants it.

3) Let's consider an alternate universe where the family is dirt poor and just wanted a pay day. You're telling me the best place to get paid is VANDERBILT??? They have the most boosters? Nike suddenly decided to invest all their cash in an academically rigorous school with little to no history of athletic success? This theory makes absolutely no sense.

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If Bryce Drew lands three 5 stars at SEC bottom feeder Vanderbilt, I don’t see how you can really draw any other conclusion.

You maybe can't draw other conclusions, but it's really toxic to draw the dirty conclusion without proof as well.  Raise a red flag? Sure.  Proof Romeo/Vandy is dirty? Far from it. 

I don't doubt that this rumor floated and I have a healthy level of respect for the posters that brought these whispers to our attention, but that is what they are...rumors.  You'll hear a million different things during a recruitment like this and I'd rather see our forum not leap to conclusions that are unfair to the recruit and his family. Can we PLEASE let this recruitment play out without casting doubt on a recruit and his family based on rumors?

I'm embarrassed this angle has gotten as much play as it has.

Archived