Romeo Langford

All that was asked about was what someone heard. The original poster said he didn’t believe it and didn’t want to believe it. Follow up was mostly concerned with the quality of IU’s recruiting pitch. I have read this board and this whole thread and rarely seen anything but glowing remarks about the Langfords. I don’t see any negative thinking about them. 

Clearly recruiting is not a glowing feather in the cap of college basketball right now so I don’t blame people for being cynical, but from what I can tell the Langfords are fairly universally respected and Romeo pretty much adored in the state. One or two posts about what people have heard (from DD on the radio, not random tweets etc.) does not undo the rest of that admiration which has been displayed so consistently...

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

All that was asked about was what someone heard. The original poster said he didn’t believe it and didn’t want to believe it. Follow up was mostly concerned with the quality of IU’s recruiting pitch. I have read this board and this whole thread and rarely seen anything but glowing remarks about the Langfords. I don’t see any negative thinking about them. 

Clearly recruiting is not a glowing feather in the cap of college basketball right now so I don’t blame people for being cynical, but from what I can tell the Langfords are fairly universally respected and Romeo pretty much adored in the state. One or two posts about what people have heard (from DD on the radio, not random tweets etc.) does not undo the rest of that admiration which has been displayed so consistently...

Exactly.  I said I didn’t believe and don’t want to believe it.  If it’s true it will get out.

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You maybe can't draw other conclusions, but it's really toxic to draw the dirty conclusion without proof as well.  Raise a red flag? Sure.  Proof Romeo/Vandy is dirty? Far from it. 

I’ve harped on this before, but I think it’s just totally naive to give any coach/program the benefit of the doubt knowing what we do now as a result of the FBI investigation.  It’s not toxic, it’s common sense.  Vanderbilt is in the SEC, which is known to be the dirtiest conference when it comes to recruiting in both basketball and football.  They have little to no basketball history or culture. They land a midmajor coach whose brother is also known to be a shady recruiter, and he lands three five stars in his second recruiting class?  Sorry, I’m not buying it, at all.

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’ve harped on this before, but I think it’s just totally naive to give any coach/program the benefit of the doubt knowing what we do now as a result of the FBI investigation.  It’s not toxic, it’s common sense.  Vanderbilt is in the SEC, which is known to be the dirtiest conference when it comes to recruiting in both basketball and football.  They have little to no basketball history or culture. They land a midmajor coach whose brother is also known to be a shady recruiter, and he lands three five stars in his second recruiting class?  Sorry, I’m not buying it, at all.

There's a difference in giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming guilt based on circumstancial evidence, no?

43 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Why would a family with a son that is set to make multiple millions of dollars in one or two years risk everything for a few bucks in some stupid college recruiting battle? This is some stupid fantastical garbage fed to fans by the likes of idiots like Dakich (and other know-nothings) for the sake of stirring the pot.

Brian Bowen said hello, and Cam Newton sent his best wishes....but I do agree with your take on Dakich.

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

As much as we all hate Dakich, he’s connected.  But also take what he says about Langford with a grain of salt.  He and Tim aren’t the best of friends so to speak.

In that case, my respect level for the Langford family continues to rise.

22 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

They land a midmajor coach whose brother is also known to be a shady recruiter, and he lands three five stars in his second recruiting class?  Sorry, I’m not buying it, at all.

IU just hired a mid-major  coach whose brother's program is smack in the middle of what may be the biggest scandal ever in cillege sports.  Your point is....

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU just hired a mid-major  coach whose brother's program is smack in the middle of what may be the biggest scandal ever in cillege sports.  Your point is....

Exactly the same, except for the fact that Archie hasn’t landed any 5 stars, and it would be slightly less suspicious if he did considering that IU is a much more prominent program than Vandy.

Regardless, no, I wouldn’t be that shocked if it came out that Archie bent the rules when he pulled Phinisee and Anderson out from under Porkchop’s nose out of nowhere.  Especially considering his connection to Sean.  By and large, it appears to me that that’s the way college basketball recruiting works.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I don’t see the distinction.  Not assuming guilt based on circumstantial evidence is giving them the benefit of the doubt.

No, giving him the benefit of the doubt would be presuming innocence.  

You're making the claim he is dirty, that requires evidence.  Right now, we have no evidence of anything.  

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There's nothing suspicious about IU getting 5 star recruits. Crean was pulling in a 5 star per year for a while.

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No, giving him the benefit of the doubt would be presuming innocence.  

You're making the claim he is dirty, that requires evidence.  Right now, we have no evidence of anything.  

And you are presuming he is innocent... Look, I know you like to go around and around arguing about what constitutes “proof” and “evidence.”  But I can tell you with great confidence that circumstantial evidence is admissible in a court of law, and people have been convicted of all sorts of crimes based on circumstantial evidence.  But we’re on an internet message board, not in a trial court — the burden of proof is much lower here.  I’m taking the bar exam next Tuesday, trust me on this one.

This whole thread is great entertainment! A bunch of people thinking that they know what is going on and how this is going to play out. 

Conjecture is what these boards are here for. However, conjecture is really just a bunch of opinions that may or may not be true. Once the decision is made, there will be people puffing their chests out, saying "I told you so". There will also be a bunch of people who will back off what they avowed as certain...once they are shown to be wrong.

To make these kinds of discussions more valid, and to provide any sense of credibility, it would be nice if the following held true:

-If you are in the inner circle of a recruit and his family then state it and be willing to prove 

-Otherwise, use the term "In my opinion " because unless you are in the inner circle, that's all that any of us really can offer

16 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Gotta think if there was anything shady about this kid, Louisville would still be in consideration. He’d be long gone before the NCAA got around to levying discipline, assuming the do so at all.

That’s why I don’t believe it, I’m pretty sure just because they were tied to Lville people assumed and that’s how it started.

42 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

As much as we all hate Dakich, he’s connected.  But also take what he says about Langford with a grain of salt.  He and Tim aren’t the best of friends so to speak.

I’m not surprised to hear Tim Langford isnt a fan of Dak (who is anymore?) but as you pointed out he’s as well connected as anyone in the state. Fans on message boards don’t know anything he doesn’t I can pretty much assure you of that. He only leaks negative info on kids when their camps cross him otherwise he stays pretty quiet. He’s also a big proponent of letting a kid have his moment so he doesn’t leak positive info.

I honestly miss the original Peegs days where you mostly just found out about kids after they committed. I’m growing tired of following the coming and goings of 16-18 year olds 

Here is what is somewhat of a sign/could be a sign... From my understanding, the IU staff hasn't been to a New Albany game in awhile.... I've been told they are saving the visits for the end... well, we are nearing the end. Will the staff be at any of his remaining games??

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

Here is what is somewhat of a sign/could be a sign... From my understanding, the IU staff hasn't been to a New Albany game in awhile.... I've been told they are saving the visits for the end... well, we are nearing the end. Will the staff be at any of his remaining games??

It’s not a sign. We have had multiple conflicts. 

Archived