Romeo Langford

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If he's pulling a Garland in that he's known all along where he's going but is simply stringing us along then he deserves any and all backlash.  He should've committed back in November and got it over with.  And had he done that I wouldn't have booed him or said anything bad about him i would've just ignored him.  Many would have though.

According to your sources since when has he known? You are so certain its Vandy, i am just curious as to when this decision came about

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If he's pulling a Garland in that he's known all along where he's going but is simply stringing us along then he deserves any and all backlash.  He should've committed back in November and got it over with.  And had he done that I wouldn't have booed him or said anything bad about him i would've just ignored him.  Many would have though.

Why should he committed in November if he was not ready to commit to anyone.  He owes you or and fan base anything and he needs to do what he feels is best for him and his family.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know what to make of a visit because it seems like they still have doubts about IU and that we need to make a last ditch effort to land him.

It's my understanding, that if another visit does in fact take place, it has more to do with academics, than basketball. 

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It's my understanding, that if another visit does in fact take place, it has more to do with academics, than basketball. 

Gotcha! and that would probably be good if they are ready to look deep into the academics.  Do you happen to know what he would want to major in because if he is serious about education his major could be important with which school he chooses.

I don’t think Academics is going to be the deciding factor. Romeo is a one and done. He will play where he wants to play. If he gives IU a last chance visit, it’s probably more of a hey thank you for all the time you have spent on recruiting me. You are my home state and I appreciate your dedication, but I want to go elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Gotcha! and that would probably be good if they are ready to look deep into the academics.  Do you happen to know what he would want to major in because if he is serious about education his major could be important with which school he chooses.

No idea, about a major.  It was widely published after HH, that Tim Langford specifically said he was very impressed with the IU academic advisor that he met with. What impressed me about that comment, is that I hardly ever hear a parent of a recruit singing the praises of an academic advisor.  Keep in mind, progress continues on the South End Zone addition, and word also was made, that if a visit happens, a tour of facilities was also on the agenda.  In other words an additional visit would stress academics and facilities. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but to me almost everything said can be taken many ways.

For example the oft opined, if he's coming to IU he would have committed already. He must be going to Vandy because he hasn't committed yet, so he's waiting to commit until after the season to avoid backlash.

This could easily be explained in many other ways like he wasn't ready to commit in November, he likes all 3 schools and wants to evaluate them and commit in the spring, he wants to see how IU and new Coach Archie Miller do, he wanted to see where Darius Garland was going first, he wants to focus on his HS season and make his decision after its over, he wants to go to KU but wants to make sure there is no sanctions/involvement in FBI probe, he's waiting until spring to see how the scholarship situation works out at Vandy/KU before committing there bc they're oversigned...the list goes on and on.

I think saying if he was going to IU why hasn't he committed already is one of the weakest arguments that can be made. There can be many reasons why he hasn't committed to IU or the other two schools yet and I don't think avoiding backlash and so he can sign a bunch of IU fans autographs are legitimate ones (but they actually could be).

Also, Romeo signing autographs for hours after every game doesn't seem to be something he does out of ego. He's always been a spring announcement as far as I can remember, so why would he commit anywhere before then?

4 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I don’t think Academics is going to be the deciding factor. Romeo is a one and done. He will play where he wants to play. If he gives IU a last chance visit, it’s probably more of a hey thank you for all the time you have spent on recruiting me. You are my home state and I appreciate your dedication, but I want to go elsewhere.

That makes no sense. Why would he waste his time with a visit if he's already decided not to go there?

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

You are entitled to your thoughts.  And I concur with you in terms of the deciding factor.  However, all I am doing is reporting what has been reported on various media sources.

Nothing insider.... just what I have read as to the reason for one last visit.... IF it even takes place.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I will repeat, no teenager deserves any backlash from IU fans over a college decision regardless of the reasons you assume are behind that choice. 

4 minutes ago, cybergates said:

..... Romeo signing autographs for hours after every game doesn't seem to be something he does out of ego. He's always been a spring announcement as far as I can remember, so why would he commit anywhere before then?

Correct ! The Langford's have had a plan all along.  And have not deviated from it.  Garland did not sway them from going away from the plan as originally outlined by Tim Langford, going back to late last summer.  Not even Tim saying that if Romeo felt the need at HH to commit, that would be ok to stray from the plan.

People are reading too much into this recruitment, IMHO.  Just research Tim Langford's public statements, and find that the Langfords have stayed on course in terms of their plan.

7 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but to me almost everything said can be taken many ways.

For example the oft opined, if he's coming to IU he would have committed already. He must be going to Vandy because he hasn't committed yet, so he's waiting to commit until after the season to avoid backlash. This could easily be explained in many other ways like he wasn't ready to commit in November, he likes all 3 schools and wants to evaluate them and commit in the spring, he wants to see how IU and new Coach Archie Miller do, he wanted to see where Darius Garland was going first, he wants to focus on his HS season and make his decision after its over, he wants to go to KU but wants to make sure there is no sanctions/involvement in FBI probe, he's waiting until spring to see how the scholarship situation works out at Vandy/KU before committing there bc they're oversigned...the list goes on and on. I think saying if he was going to IU why hasn't he committed already is one of the weakest arguments that can be made. There can be many reasons why he hasn't committed to IU or the other two schools yet and I don't think avoiding backlash and so he can sign a bunch of IU fans autographs are legitimate ones (but they actually could be).

Also, Romeo signing autographs for hours after every game doesn't seem to be something he does out of ego. He's always been a spring announcement as far as I can remember, so why would he commit anywhere before then?

I'm not sure why any top tier player who can count on any school he wants making room for him, would make his choice before he absolutely had to. The situation at the school of choice can change sp drastically in such a short amount of time and for a variety of reasons. 

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

According to your sources since when has he known? You are so certain its Vandy, i am just curious as to when this decision came about

There are only 2 possibilities here IMO.  1 he's known all along where he's going and didn't announce either to avoid backlash or else because he wanted to build his brand by using the IU fan base and all the increased exposure it provides.  Or #2 he truly has been undecided.  If that's the case I'm wrong and he's 100 percent going to IU.  Nothing that has come to light the past few months would make anyone favor Vandy.  They are a dumpster fire and are losing the few decent players they have.  Drewfus can't coach.  They have no fans and play in an empty arena.  Sittu tore his ACL and who knows how ready he'll be.

Meanwhile Archie has IU playing some of the best ball in the B1G after maybe only MSU and is looking like a terrific coach.  We have a great core returning in Morgan, Green, Smith, Mcroberts, and Davis as well a very good recruiting class.  Furthermore, Romeo is the perfect fit for IU.  The only thing next year's team is missing is that elite scorer who fill it up.  Romeo provides exactly that.  If he truly has been undecided it's IU all the way and Ill gladly eat crow on this for being so wrong.

To make sure his choice to go elsewhere is the right decision.  I just know the last time I got on the IU  hype train we didn’t hire that coach or land Garland. This appears to be turning out the same way. The good news is I believe we hired the right coach and Garland maybe more of a headache than he is worth!

47 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

That makes no sense. Why would he waste his time with a visit if he's already decided not to go there?

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

I have a great idea. Let everyone vote on where they think he is going. Tally up the votes and then lock the thread. After he commits to a school then unlock the read and congratulate those who got it right. Romeo can go wherever he wants to, we will be fine.  

I was thinking about making a poll.

As others have said before, sometimes not winning a recruiting battle, or "losing" out on a particular coach is actually the best thing that could happen.  It is reasonable to assume that Romeo will have a significantly positive impact on any school he goes to.  However, it is not a guarantee that any player is going to take us to banner #6.  Many of us, if not all,  wish we would have missed on most of the "movement" recruiting class, yet we were all hyped up at the time and sure that #6 was on the horizon.   When Funderburke walked away I thought are chances of being great were gone, yet we likely benefitted from this, and were one knee injury away from winning it all a few years later.  I would rather be excited during the season and worry less about recruiting.  Most of the excitement related to IU over the past 20 years has been related to recruiting....the wait 'til next year syndrome.  I think we are heading for more in-season excitement and the recruiting will just be the cherry on top.  At least I hope.

Lets look at some of the events since the season began that could possibly influence Romeo:

Vanderbilt:  Shittu tears his ACL, Garland along with 3 others are suspended for an "incident" in the Brentwood Academy locker room. Vandy is mired in an underwhelming season in the SEC, in which even UK is down.

Indiana: Home losses to ISU and IPFW, miserable offense early, the emergence of Morgan as a B1G player of the year caliber player, an unbelievable turn around in defensive efficiency. a team that has improved greatly as the season wore on and is playing their best ball right now.

It seems to me the longer this thing goes on, the more signs point to Indiana.

12 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

According to who? Is this a personal opinion? 

I really think EVERYTHING we read here is pretty much personal opinion at this time.  (except for HTD factoids)

Other than how 'sour' the mood has turned on the last few pages, this really is a nice problem to have.  Darn, we still have hope of landing a top talent great kid, how awful! lol

Banging on each other doesn't help. Lighten up, we're fine.

It's ok to hope! Hope is a good thing.

Due to this recent sour grapes ,maybe now is not best time for a poll..JMO

15 minutes ago, McHoop said:

Just Eyeore's  opinion....

I swear,  I've never seen such a hopelessly negative persona on a message board.....

Image result

McHoop

Now, that is more than a little unfair. He is absolutely positive most of the time........ absolutely positive that his opinion is fact. 

On 2/19/2018 at 10:44 AM, Shooter said:

Love this line. I'd say Villanova is a pretty ideal model to follow - they have a couple of 5 stars on the roster, but mostly Jay Wright targets underrated 4 star or high 3 star guys that fit his system.  For example Donte DiVencenzo may have been #124 in his class, but can anybody watch that kid play and argue he's not a stud?

Xavier has been successful too but I'm not really interested in having a "culture" like they do. I love watching Villanova play though, and would sign up for that kind of program in a heartbeat.

I think we are going to find in the future that CAM is going to be a coach who mirrors what coaches like Wright and even Bo Ryan did. Getting players who fit his system and create a culture of winning, with each piece fitting the puzzle. You never hear about Villanova's recruiting classes being great, but he built that base and every year the players continue develop. Look what Bo Ryan did using this type of system, and he never had recruiting classes anyone would take notice of. The coach in college basketball means more than in any other sport I know of, and with CAM getting good 4 star players, the future will be very bright indeed. We got ourselves a good one!

Just compare and contrast CTC vs. CAM and you see in one year what a difference it makes, and he is using pieces which do not fit together. Next year, the jigsaw puzzle will start to actually fit together. Romeo might be that one corner piece that is the hardest to find, but in the end, you can still see the clear picture even if that piece eludes you.

I also don't think CAM will ever focus heavily on 5 star players unless they fit what he needs and is looking for in his system and culture. Romeo would be one of those rare players who is a 5 star and fits what he is looking to establish. Remember, a lot of 5 stars due to AAU basketball and what it has devolved into come in thinking much more about me first, making it very hard to build a foundation which carries over each year.

6 minutes ago, Iuprof said:

I think we are going to find in the future that CAM is going to be a coach who mirrors what coaches like Wright and even Bo Ryan did. Getting players who fit his system and create a culture of winning, with each piece fitting the puzzle. You never hear about Villanova's recruiting classes being great, but he built that base and every year the players continue develop. Look what Bo Ryan did using this type of system, and he never had recruiting classes anyone would take notice of. The coach in college basketball means more than in any other sport I know of, and with CAM getting good 4 star players, the future will be very bright indeed. We got ourselves a good one!

Just compare and contrast CTC vs. CAM and you see in one year what a difference it makes, and he is using pieces which do not fit together. Next year, the jigsaw puzzle will start to actually fit together. Romeo might be that one corner piece that is the hardest to find, but in the end, you can still see the clear picture even if that piece eludes you.

I also don't think CAM will ever focus heavily on 5 star players unless they fit what he needs and is looking for in his system and culture. Romeo would be one of those rare players who is a 5 star and fits what he is looking to establish. Remember, a lot of 5 stars due to AAU basketball and what it has devolved into come in thinking much more about me first, making it very hard to build a foundation which carries over each year.

Really like this post.  And I will say that 90 percent of my interest in Romeo going to IU is that he is a local for me and not because he is 5 star.

Archived