Romeo Langford

I think in the focus we won't have anymore 100 page threads on any one recruit. Sorry HSN, but who knows. I agree the reason I am fascinated is Romeo is an IN. kid, and CTC for so long just has let kids from this state walk without any effort. In the future, I will know what to expect, and look at the recruits and see the jigsaw puzzle filled in each year. Some will be a high 3 star, others high 4 star, and the occasional 5 star who fits the system and culture. The fact we came as far as we did when CAM was hired only in April still amazes me.

Can't wait to see what the 2019 season of recruits looks like as the foundation builds for the future. I think from now on, that may be the way we should look at recruits, who fits where and why.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Iuprof said:

I think we are going to find in the future that CAM is going to be a coach who mirrors what coaches like Wright and even Bo Ryan did. Getting players who fit his system and create a culture of winning, with each piece fitting the puzzle. You never hear about Villanova's recruiting classes being great, but he built that base and every year the players continue develop. Look what Bo Ryan did using this type of system, and he never had recruiting classes anyone would take notice of. The coach in college basketball means more than in any other sport I know of, and with CAM getting good 4 star players, the future will be very bright indeed. We got ourselves a good one!

Just compare and contrast CTC vs. CAM and you see in one year what a difference it makes, and he is using pieces which do not fit together. Next year, the jigsaw puzzle will start to actually fit together. Romeo might be that one corner piece that is the hardest to find, but in the end, you can still see the clear picture even if that piece eludes you.

I also don't think CAM will ever focus heavily on 5 star players unless they fit what he needs and is looking for in his system and culture. Romeo would be one of those rare players who is a 5 star and fits what he is looking to establish. Remember, a lot of 5 stars due to AAU basketball and what it has devolved into come in thinking much more about me first, making it very hard to build a foundation which carries over each year.

I think Archie will end up recruiting similar to Izzo at MSU. Izzo has historically been a sort of hybrid between the big boys and a school like Wisconsin or Villanova. He definitely has had his share of 5* guys, but not like UK, Duke, Kansas, etc. He also recruits role players that fit what he's trying to do. 

3 hours ago, Iuprof said:

I think we are going to find in the future that CAM is going to be a coach who mirrors what coaches like Wright and even Bo Ryan did. Getting players who fit his system and create a culture of winning, with each piece fitting the puzzle. You never hear about Villanova's recruiting classes being great, but he built that base and every year the players continue develop. Look what Bo Ryan did using this type of system, and he never had recruiting classes anyone would take notice of. The coach in college basketball means more than in any other sport I know of, and with CAM getting good 4 star players, the future will be very bright indeed. We got ourselves a good one!

Just compare and contrast CTC vs. CAM and you see in one year what a difference it makes, and he is using pieces which do not fit together. Next year, the jigsaw puzzle will start to actually fit together. Romeo might be that one corner piece that is the hardest to find, but in the end, you can still see the clear picture even if that piece eludes you.

I also don't think CAM will ever focus heavily on 5 star players unless they fit what he needs and is looking for in his system and culture. Romeo would be one of those rare players who is a 5 star and fits what he is looking to establish. Remember, a lot of 5 stars due to AAU basketball and what it has devolved into come in thinking much more about me first, making it very hard to build a foundation which carries over each year.

I was actually going to post a very, very, similar opinion. I think you have hit the nail on the head. This is the right way to build a program I think. 

3 hours ago, Iuprof said:

I couldn't agree more and it's really funny you said this....ESPN just did an Article on Villanova and how Jay Wright tried switching to recruiting high end 5 stars and it didn't work out so he went back to HIS style... it's actually a great read...see below:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22436614/inside-villanova-epic-five-year-run

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think Archie will end up recruiting similar to Izzo at MSU. Izzo has historically been a sort of hybrid between the big boys and a school like Wisconsin or Villanova. He definitely has had his share of 5* guys, but not like UK, Duke, Kansas, etc. He also recruits role players that fit what he's trying to do. 

I didn't draw the comparison to Izzo, but did make a post stating the same thing. From a winning standpoint, I think our floor is Bo Ryan's Wisconsin. Never below 4th place. Always going in to the last 2 weeks with a chance at the regular season title. I truly believe that we'll do no worse than that. Ceiling is Final Fours and National Championships. Ceiling is "Oh $hit, we are in IU's bracket". Always in it, even in "down" years. IMO, Archie is that good.

This is a nugget of info that was shared my way recently. Take it for what you want.  I liked what I heard.

I am a long time reader, but fairly new to posting. I live in southern Indiana and have had this bit of info for a couple weeks. I realize that it could be on of hundreds of pro IU scenarios or even false, but I thought I would pass it along and see what you think. I was told that Romeos dad is friends with one of I.U.'s trustees (the name was not given) . This trustee was asked if he could come to the McDonald's All American game and be there with the Langfords. When I heard this, I thought, no way! But after thinking about it more I could not help wondering if there were any legs to it. It sounded logical, I just hope it is true.

13 hours ago, Artisian_86 said:

This is a nugget of info that was shared my way recently. Take it for what you want.  I liked what I heard.

I am a long time reader, but fairly new to posting. I live in southern Indiana and have had this bit of info for a couple weeks. I realize that it could be on of hundreds of pro IU scenarios or even false, but I thought I would pass it along and see what you think. I was told that Romeos dad is friends with one of I.U.'s trustees (the name was not given) . This trustee was asked if he could come to the McDonald's All American game and be there with the Langfords. When I heard this, I thought, no way! But after thinking about it more I could not help wondering if there were any legs to it. It sounded logical, I just hope it is true.

If I were guessing the trustee could be Shoulders. From Southern Indiana. Very active in IU hoops/facilities upgrades, Assembly Hall changes.....just a guess though.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If I were guessing the trustee could be Shoulders. From Southern Indiana. Very active in IU hoops/facilities upgrades, Assembly Hall changes.....just a guess though.

Shoulders is from Evansville. I’m not sure if he would be the guy. If the original poster’s news is correct, it sounds like good news for a change.

I received the information that I posted last night from a well known, successful business man in my home town. He has had floor level season I.U. bb tix for years. He is a friend of mine, so I just asked him one day what he thought about this Romeo recruitment. He even told me, "I heard he is going to be a Hoosier." It sounds like it could be legit, it would be even better if IUwins0708 and milehiiu heard similar info. I guess we will hopefully find out soon enough.

10 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Shoulders is from Evansville. I’m not sure if he would be the guy. If the original poster’s news is correct, it sounds like good news for a change.

Yep. He's the only one with longstanding Southern Indiana ties though. Same as Langford's. That's why I said him.

Greetings! Just had a few questions regarding RL. First, is he the hands down winner of this years coveted Mr. Basketball in Indiana? It seems like a pretty obvious foregone conclusion, but there have been a few players having outstanding seasons throughout the state.

Secondly, I know my Alma NAHS received a first round bye in the sectionals, which equates for one less game in the tournament. Did the bye end any chance for RL to break the scoring record of DB? Provided NAHS made it to the ship, how many points would RL need to average to take the crown?

I'll hang up and listen.

28 minutes ago, dyedinthewool said:

Greetings! Just had a few questions regarding RL. First, is he the hands down winner of this years coveted Mr. Basketball in Indiana? It seems like a pretty obvious foregone conclusion, but there have been a few players having outstanding seasons throughout the state.

Secondly, I know my Alma NAHS received a first round bye in the sectionals, which equates for one less game in the tournament. Did the bye end any chance for RL to break the scoring record of DB? Provided NAHS made it to the ship, how many points would RL need to average to take the crown?

I'll hang up and listen.

Highly likely he gets Mr. Basketball. 

Highly unlikely he gets record. 7 games. 47 PPG to get it according to https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/02/18/insider-10-storylines-2018-ihsaa-boys-basketball-sectional-draw/349216002/

On 2/21/2018 at 7:32 AM, Artesian_86 said:

I received the information that I posted last night from a well known, successful business man in my home town. He has had floor level season I.U. bb tix for years. He is a friend of mine, so I just asked him one day what he thought about this Romeo recruitment. He even told me, "I heard he is going to be a Hoosier." It sounds like it could be legit, it would be even better if IUwins0708 and milehiiu heard similar info. I guess we will hopefully find out soon enough.

Though I am pleased that you shared this intel with us... I am sorry that at present, I can't add anything one way or the other to it, in terms of a final decision on Romeo's part.

IUwins0708 is a good follow.  And keep an eye also on one of our New (old) members on HSN 3.0...... CoachSS.  Two guys who for good reason, are close to the heartbeat of recruiting in the state of Indiana. 

36 minutes ago, dyedinthewool said:

I'll hang up and listen.

Aren't you a sight for sore eyes.  Adding to DJ in welcoming you not only to the new HSN..... but the one and only "Real"  Hoosier Sports Nation ! Home of the free. No membership fees.  No popup ads.  Nothing to sell. Just talk among IU fans.... both old and new. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Aren't you a sight for sore eyes.  Adding to DJ in welcoming you not only to the new HSN..... but the one and only "Real"  Hoosier Sports Nation ! Home of the free. No membership fees.  No popup ads.  Nothing to sell. Just talk among IU fans.... both old and new. 

Why did you decide not to tell what you are hearing because it is very helpful to us fans who has no inside info.

Archived