Romeo Langford

6 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

There’s been nothing that has come out saying any money actually went to players that attended IU.  An agent reaching out and money actually trading hands are two different things.  Kansas and Vandy however, do have players linked that actually got to campus.

That is true, I agree that right now no money were involved with players attending IU or agreeing to sign with agents for deals.  I do think out of the three(assuming there is no money involved with IU) IU has the best chance to land Romeo given what the other to teams have done with money given to players and/or family members. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If I were Romeo I'd be feeling a couple things. First...blessed to have waited until Spring to see how the entire investigation shakes out. Secondly (maybe someone can help with official term) but I wouldn't be signing my actual commit papers until the last second. He can verbal but signing is a different thing.

I wouldn't sign anything.  

23 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

When they came to our school, he stayed after for 2 1/2 hours to sign autographs and take pictures.  The entire team sat in the gym for the duration. A few administrators went to McDonalds and brought some food back for them.

Wait....sombody with the school supplied a meal for players!?  Great, now Romeo won't even be allowed to play in college. 😲😭

I am going this here because if a possible effect on Romeo's recruitment.  Sean Miller although implicated is now caught on wiretap which makes a big difference. Plus what he said is pretty damning.  People will use innuendo to try and tie it to CAM which could possibly effect Romeo's recruitment, but do not count me among them. Unless something comes out about CAM, I believe he did nothing. Now did he know things about his brother and other programs. I am sure every coach in Division one knows all of what is going on, but coaches will use any ammunition they can in recruitment, which is now painfully clear.

Arizona's Sean Miller was caught on tape about his latest recruit, DeAndre Ayton, who many think goes top 3 in the draft next year. I did not know what to think about Arizona, and how much Miller knew, but what surprised me was this quote from the article which I link below.

"According to the ESPN report, when Dawkins asked Miller if he should work with assistant coach Emanuel "Book" Richardson to finalize an agreement, Miller told Dawkins he should instead deal directly with him when it came to money."

You have to wonder if anyone will link CAM to Sean being brothers and he was on his staff. When I say link, I am saying innuendo, basically just trying to link the two since they are brothers. I think CAM is certainly aware of this, but it was probably something he did not deal with too much at Dayton. In recruiting, the disparaging crap that gets used is ridiculous, but now there will be really no one who can escape it. The ones who are in trouble will be the ones caught red handed I believe, and it seems Sean Miller is one of those now.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/arizonas-sean-miller-caught-on-wiretap-discussing-paying-deandre-ayton-report-says/

I also found another article really interesting from CBS which was asking coaches was they thought about all this. Of course all think this is just beginning, but I found two points interesting. Most agree and I fully agree that the paying for meals is silly, or putting parents up in a hotel. I care about the outright large loans and payoffs, which I think is what the focus will truly be on.

Also the one coach who was willing to go on record was CTC, since he no longer has any skin in the game, although if he wants to coach again he certainly does. Regardless he was very open about what he thought, and it is obvious we lost recruits due to big money payouts. As far as the meals and stuff, he believes and I agree you can just not monitor that. Plus I did not realize it was not against the rules for players to sit down and eat with agents, as long as they pay for their meal which is just silly.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/what-coaches-really-think-after-top-players-were-linked-to-college-basketballs-scandal/

Last but not least, let me say what I find the funniest article which I won't even read, but the title is "Pitino wants Louisville to keep fighting. Pitino digs in and claims he ran a clean program after the program was stripped of its 2013 title"    

17 minutes ago, Iuprof said:

I am going this here because if a possible effect on Romeo's recruitment.  Sean Miller although implicated is now caught on wiretap which makes a big difference. Plus what he said is pretty damning.  People will use innuendo to try and tie it to CAM which could possibly effect Romeo's recruitment, but do not count me among them. Unless something comes out about CAM, I believe he did nothing. Now did he know things about his brother and other programs. I am sure every coach in Division one knows all of what is going on, but coaches will use any ammunition they can in recruitment, which is now painfully clear.

You have to wonder if anyone will link CAM to Sean being brothers and he was on his staff. When I say link, I am saying innuendo, basically just trying to link the two since they are brothers. 

CAM was at Arizona from ‘09-‘11.  It’s been 7 years since he was in the same program as his brother.  Until there is something that comes out from that time period, people would have no basis on trying to link them together, other than they’re related.  Also, the two schools we’re recruiting against have actually had players that attended their programs named within the report.  IU hasn’t had a single one.  I don’t think anything that has come out has damaged IU’s chances, and one could argue KU and Vandy’s chances have taken a bigger hit.

1 hour ago, Iuprof said:

Arizona's Sean Miller was caught on tape about his latest recruit, DeAndre Ayton, who many think goes top 3 in the draft next year. I did not know what to think about Arizona, and how much Miller knew, but what surprised me was this quote from the article which I link below.

"According to the ESPN report, when Dawkins asked Miller if he should work with assistant coach Emanuel "Book" Richardson to finalize an agreement, Miller told Dawkins he should instead deal directly with him when it came to money."

You have to wonder if anyone will link CAM to Sean being brothers and he was on his staff. When I say link, I am saying innuendo, basically just trying to link the two since they are brothers. I think CAM is certainly aware of this, but it was probably something he did not deal with too much at Dayton. In recruiting, the disparaging crap that gets used is ridiculous, but now there will be really no one who can escape it. The ones who are in trouble will be the ones caught red handed I believe, and it seems Sean Miller is one of those now.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/arizonas-sean-miller-caught-on-wiretap-discussing-paying-deandre-ayton-report-says/

I also found another article really interesting from CBS which was asking coaches was they thought about all this. Of course all think this is just beginning, but I found two points interesting. Most agree and I fully agree that the paying for meals is silly, or putting parents up in a hotel. I care about the outright large loans and payoffs, which I think is what the focus will truly be on.

Also the one coach who was willing to go on record was CTC, since he no longer has any skin in the game, although if he wants to coach again he certainly does. Regardless he was very open about what he thought, and it is obvious we lost recruits due to big money payouts. As far as the meals and stuff, he believes and I agree you can just not monitor that. Plus I did not realize it was not against the rules for players to sit down and eat with agents, as long as they pay for their meal which is just silly.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/what-coaches-really-think-after-top-players-were-linked-to-college-basketballs-scandal/

Last but not least, let me say what I find the funniest article which I won't even read, but the title is "Pitino wants Louisville to keep fighting. Pitino digs in and claims he ran a clean program after the program was stripped of its 2013 title"    

Umm...Bryce Drew has a pretty shady brother as well.  AND Lord knows Bill Self is one of the biggest cheats in college basketball.  So we can play the innuendo angle just as much.

Go Hoosiers!!!

5 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

CAM was at Arizona from ‘09-‘11.  It’s been 7 years since he was in the same program as his brother.  Until there is something that comes out from that time period, people would have no basis on trying to link them together, other than they’re related.  Also, the two schools we’re recruiting against have actually had players that attended their programs named within the report.  IU hasn’t had a single one.  I don’t think anything that has come out has damaged IU’s chances, and one could argue KU and Vandy’s chances have taken a bigger hit.

Excellent post and I agree. I am really just looking at this from a devil's advocate, and the only point is they are brothers. I understand how long ago CAM was on his bench, but Sean has been getting top players for a long time, and the fact the wire said he wanted to handle the money himself shocked me. Still fully agree there is no linkage. As I said, it is simply the inference and coaches do that all the time against other coaches in recruiting. As far as Romeo's recruitment, Kansas especially is in much bigger trouble I believe, and anyone looking at Vandy could infer, see how I did that, that all of a sudden a program is getting 5 stars. Plus a players name was mentioned in the report for a large sum. So just playing devil's advocate.

3 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

"Ye without sin, cast the first stone???"

Forgot about Bryce's brother. My goodness, if family relationships stopped recruiting, Vandy would never recruit another person when you look at Scott's track record. Great points from STL and Proudtobe!

22 hours ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

I pop around different IU message boards, and I find it amusing how different the general tone is on each board, this board has a positive vibe for Romeo to IU, another board seems resigned to thinking he's going to Vandy, and another board barely talks about Romeo.

One board is always negative about everything so it is no surprise they have a negative viewpoint on Romeo.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

One board is always negative about everything so it is no surprise they have a negative viewpoint on Romeo.

Well, in the spirit of being negative lol... Romeo’s McD’s ceremony was posted along with his interview afterward. They asked him something about who he’s looking forward to playing with/against in the game. His answer...Quentin Grimes and Darius Garland. Went on for a while about how close he is with Grimes.

25 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Well, in the spirit of being negative lol... Romeo’s McD’s ceremony was posted along with his interview afterward. They asked him something about who he’s looking forward to playing with/against in the game. His answer...Quentin Grimes and Darius Garland. Went on for a while about how close he is with Grimes.

Well it would be kind of hard to him to mention playing with an IU player since there are no IU recruits playing in the game.

Got some info today saying that although they “source” think Romeo is still heading to Vandy that the “Legend” part of playing for IU is weighing heavily on him.  They said that, as mile has stated, that if he visits again he’s IU bound.  Mom really wants IU, so that’s good.  Now granted this is the same person who told me afte HH that it was over and he was coming to IU. So who really knows.  Just sharing the info.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Got some info today saying that although they “source” think Romeo is still heading to Vandy that the “Legend” part of playing for IU is weighing heavily on him.  They said that, as mile has stated, that if he visits again he’s IU bound.  Mom really wants IU, so that’s good.  Now granted this is the same person who told me afte HH that it was over and he was coming to IU. So who really knows.  Just sharing the info.

Appreciates the insights as always.  I think I want Romeo mostly to make DBM look foolish. :P

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

There is so much he said she said going around. On another board a poster claims that thier source said Tim likes IU but Mom is pushing for Vandy. Crazy. I don't know what to believe anymore. I've never heard this many rumors in my life about where a recruit is going.

There are people saying his gf is enrolling at IU and other people saying that IU won't put her on scholarship for volleyball so she isn't coming. It just goes on and on. 

Thanks for the input tho this was no shot against you! I'm just ready to get this over with so we can move on with or without him. If he goes to flipin Vandy who is dead last in the SEC over IU then whatever I'm over it have fun losing and playing for a average at best coach in front of 7 fans. guess IU is just to big for him then. Geez really isn't a hard choice if your looking at it from really any angle. 

10 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

There is so much he said she said going around. On another board a poster claims that thier source said Tim likes IU but Mom is pushing for Vandy. Crazy. I don't know what to believe anymore. I've never heard this many rumors in my life about where a recruit is going.

There are people saying his gf is enrolling at IU and other people saying that IU won't put her on scholarship for volleyball so she isn't coming. It just goes on and on. 

Thanks for the input tho this was no shot against you! I'm just ready to get this over with so we can move on with or without him. If he goes to flipin Vandy who is dead last in the SEC over IU then whatever I'm over it have fun losing and playing for a average at best coach in front of 7 fans. guess IU is just to big for him then. Geez really isn't a hard choice if your looking at it from really any angle. 

Mom pushing for Vanderbilt would seem a little unexpected for me...that's putting her boy 80 miles (and more than an extra hour one way) further away from home.  The longer this goes the better I feel about IU's chances.  Drew is showing himself to be an inferior coach to Archie Miller...Kansas looks like they are facing more questions regarding recruits and are a long way from home.

One thing IU has done and done well recently is put players in the NBA.  Romeo gets there regardless of what team he selects, but I have a feeling Drew won't get him a better draft position than Archie will.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well it would be kind of hard to him to mention playing with an IU player since there are no IU recruits playing in the game.

True, but it’s not exactly encouraging when he say’s Grimes is like a brother and Grimes is committed to a school in his final 3. I’m still saying Vandy but I wouldn’t be shocked if he went with Kansas. Either way, I think IU is last in this race. I’d love to see him at IU but I just don’t think it’s gonna happen.

9 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Just to clarify, if I may.  Your person is or may be the one saying another IU visit means Romeo is IU bound.  All I am saying is that another unofficial to IU is a good sign... but does not seal the deal, in and of itself.  And conversely if no visit happens, I am on record as saying that could be very telling.... but again not necessarily defining.  I don't want to happen to me as what has happened in the past.... people misconstruing what I have passed along on an informational progression. And mixing up what I have passed along with what others have offered.  Over the past ten years there have been situations where I have posted when a recruit (both FB and BB) has decided on IU.  At present that does not happen to be the case for me in terms of Romeo.

Personally, I think RL has a favorite at this time. Only those in his circle are privy to which school that is. I also believe the FBI probe is throwing some shade on his decision, and he wants to be absolutely positive that the coach will be their for his one year. All three schools still have a chance, but I would bet he has them listed 1 through 3. Development and teammates have to weigh on his decision. Unfortunately there are no current or incoming players at IU that I have heard RL mention. With that said, and all the money being thrown around, RL has to know there are no guarantees that any of his close friends will be eligible to play next season. We can only hope the full FBI report is made public prior to his decision. Of course there is always the hope that any non implicated signees would be given a transfer waiver in the event their destination school goes down in flames. 

If Romeo was tangled up in this mess, hopefully it's not too late to cut ties and distance himself from the corruption. IU's chances of landing him would put us back on top in that scenario. On the other side of that coin, if monies have changed hands already, the next time we see RL playing hoops at the next level will be in the 2019 NBA. 

3 hours ago, dyedinthewool said:

Unfortunately there are no current or incoming players at IU that I have heard RL mention.

That's true. But in his most recent interview (Friday night), he states that while other incoming guys can be important, it doesn't matter because when you get to college, everyone can play. IMO, based on that and other things in his interview, IU is the team to beat (unless it's KU).

Archived