Romeo Langford

18 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I agree with you. Still trying to figure out why he isn't getting any D-1 offers. Grades or something? Kind of baffeling really. Maybe they don't like his slim build. But Al Durham ended up at Indiana on full ride and he cant be much better than East.

Agreed. And it’s truly mind boggling that he doesn’t have anymore offers than he does. The kid can play at a high level.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Maybe we are losing a couple of our current guards. Either way we haven't lost anything because Romeo was/is not ours until he signs that letter of intent. 

I can see this happening.  I could see Green leaving; he just seemed out of sorts a lot and seemed frustrated with CAM.  

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Goes along with what I was told as well.  I was told he would be a preferred walk on.  I know there’s some time left but I’m starting to get excited...

Would he be interested in being a walk on instead of going somewhere on a scholarship.  I don't know his family situation and how well they could afford going to IU but I know I couldn't afford to send my daughter there without the scholarship she got.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I have believed all along that any one of the three finalists could pull ahead by making overtures to East.  I just never assumed it would happen because East is truly good enough to get an offer on his own, just probably not at a Power 5 school.  He could be a star at a school like Indiana State, Ball State, Evansville, or Valpo.

He and Romeo are not just teammates, but are very close friends (and that's just not speculation like it is with Garland).  Romeo and East have played together since middle school.  

If this is truly in play, then IU has to reach out to East, because if they do not, Vandy most assuredly will now that the idea has been floated.

He kind of reminds me of Baldwin from Butler

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Would he be interested in being a walk on instead of going somewhere on a scholarship.  I don't know his family situation and how well they could afford going to IU but I know I couldn't afford to send my daughter there without the scholarship she got.

If he gets a good D1 offer, he'll take the scholarship and the opportunity to play heavy minutes.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

If that's what it takes. I'm cool with it. I remember Knight offering Leary to get Montross. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I haven't watched him play but someone said quick and he can shoot? If he can do that and it helps in the Romeo process. Even better.

If he can deliver water and towels to players on the bench at an efficient pace I'm cool with it if it gets us Romeo.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Little birdies talking into my ear today.  Don't be surprised if Tad Boyle scoops up East.... just as he did with McKinley Wright.  Sight unseen.

Edited  : to correct Boyle's first name... it is Tad, not Thad

Ugh I have nightmares about McKinley Wright, kid can really hoop. Just thinking what he could’ve been at IU 😞. In the same vein, it gives me hope that CAM can pick em. 

5 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Sean East= Al Durham... in my opinion they are extremely similar! Am I crazy? Both left handed and slim built and kinda play similar. Al may be a little taller but East is definitely the better shooter. 

I don't really see them as all that similar besides them both being left handed. East has unlimited range, Durham is a good defender. 

18 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

Could have been left off because he is going to play in some of the other exhibition games.  I could swear there is a limit (maybe 2 or 3?) that they are allowed to play.  If you do McDonald's, then Indiana All-Stars, that leaves him maybe one more he is eligible to play in?

I think you are right on this. I remember an IU recruit not playing the Derby Classic because of this issue.

Just an observation that may have something to do with the lack of interest in East...it seems that his shot is released fairly low and in front of his body and never really gets above his head. IMO, scouts may be critical of that and concerned with his ability to shoot over taller, better defenders at the next level.  Again, this may have nothing to do with it as his shot is very quick and I believe he is definitely D1 material.  This is just something I have observed as a possible detriment to his ranking/recruiting.  I also may have no clue as to what the hell I am talking about.  

13 minutes ago, A-hOhL said:

Just an observation that may have something to do with the lack of interest in East...it seems that his shot is released fairly low and in front of his body and never really gets above his head. IMO, scouts may be critical of that and concerned with his ability to shoot over taller, better defenders at the next level.  Again, this may have nothing to do with it as his shot is very quick and I believe he is definitely D1 material.  This is just something I have observed as a possible detriment to his ranking/recruiting.  I also may have no clue as to what the hell I am talking about.  

You are exactly right. And it's also a pretty slow release.

I still am surprised no one has offered him. Kid's best ability is handling the rock. The fact that he can shoot is an added benefit. His ball handling alone should get him on a team somewhere.

9 hours ago, Max said:

Ugh I have nightmares about McKinley Wright, kid can really hoop. Just thinking what he could’ve been at IU 😞. In the same vein, it gives me hope that CAM can pick em. 

At IU, he could've been the reason Robert Phinesee chose another school, like, Purdue.  I thought we all agreed we wanted to close the borders and focus on Indiana kids?  Go watch some Phinesee videos and see if those nightmares go away.

33 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

At IU, he could've been the reason Robert Phinesee chose another school, like, Purdue.  I thought we all agreed we wanted to close the borders and focus on Indiana kids?  Go watch some Phinesee videos and see if those nightmares go away.

Eh, I know we talked about recruiting over with the 5 star guard from GA...in that case I was in favor of potentially passing if it looked that obvious he was being recruited over. But in most cases and I think this one certainly applies, RP has to beat out someone like Mckinley...otherwise you're not gonna have any guards left to bring on the team if that's considered recruiting over too.

1 hour ago, A-hOhL said:

Haha nice disclaimer...

I know for Indiana kids they would ave the all star games against Kentucky as one game they play in.  Also there is another all star game at the Hoosier gym in Knightstown where most of the all stars play in but I don't know if that would count toward their all star game limit.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know for Indiana kids they would ave the all star games against Kentucky as one game they play in.  Also there is another all star game at the Hoosier gym in Knightstown where most of the all stars play in but I don't know if that would count toward their all star game limit.

I'm not sure if State All Star games count against the 2 game limit for National Showcases.

22 hours ago, cybergates said:

Something else off with that is rosters are unbalanced 11 vs 14. I think that coupled with Romeo's absence must mean that it is incomplete or invalid and was posted by someone too soon.

Looks like I was right (for once). He's listed on the Boy's Team link at the actual Jordan Brand Classic site. So whoever posted a pic of that printout didn't have it completely right I think.

https://jordanbrandclassic.com/team/2018-boys-national-team/

1 hour ago, dyedinthewool said:

I'm not sure if State All Star games count against the 2 game limit for National Showcases.

EDIT:

They do. I live in Louisville and always look forward to the Derby Classic, that sadly is not going to be played, but it's typically the #3 showcase. IU recruits would normally do the Indiana and Derby Classic if they didn't get invited to be Burger Boys. If they were Burger Boys then the Derby Classic would usually be kicked to the curb. The Jordan Classic has leapfrogged the Derby City in the past decade. I remember Troy did the Jordan Classic and I was disappointed by that.

The Derby Classic was cancelled due to poor attendance. It's the oldest showcase in the country. Or was. I think every single UK player being a Burger Boy, thus UK players not attending, cut into the draw for half of the city of Louisville. The Jordan Brand Classic becoming increasingly more popular has hurt too. It's sad.

Archived