Romeo Langford

There are rumors that RL wants to see which players are going to be around next season. With the latest timeline for his announcement, perhaps these are more than rumors. Below are a few links. The first one was posted by Mile in the Romeo Poll. The other is a timeline for testing the NBA waters without losing eligibility. Looking at all 3 schools and potential early draftees, it would seem KU and IU are the only two with possibilities. I don't think JM will declare, but he will put his name in and get valuable feedback. Vandy is losing most of their minutes to graduation, with no players sniffing the NBA. KU could have a few leaving early. Just trying to look at another angle on the new announcement timeline.

http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-professional-draft-inquiries

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe we have to wait another month. I'll say this. Langford's can do whatever they want and handle this process however they feel comfortable. While saying that. The losing coaches/teams are going to be left scrambling at the worst time. Can you imagine a scenario for us that on April 10th Morgan decides to stay in draft and Romeo decides to go elsewhere? 

Planning for those contingencies? Imagine this call. Hey kid this is Archie Miller. Really like your game. I very much want you to come to IU if Juwan leaves and if Romeo says no. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

This goes to anyone who is at New Albany in charge of seating. If Drew does come to the game on Saturday. Better be some nice upper deck corner seats for him. Archie stays front and center. 

New Albany is not in charge of seating. 

45 minutes ago, dyedinthewool said:

There are rumors that RL wants to see which players are going to be around next season. With the latest timeline for his announcement, perhaps these are more than rumors. Below are a few links. The first one was posted by Mile in the Romeo Poll. The other is a timeline for testing the NBA waters without losing eligibility. Looking at all 3 schools and potential early draftees, it would seem KU and IU are the only two with possibilities. I don't think JM will declare, but he will put his name in and get valuable feedback. Vandy is losing most of their minutes to graduation, with no players sniffing the NBA. KU could have a few leaving early. Just trying to look at another angle on the new announcement timeline.

'Hello Newman' 

57 minutes ago, dyedinthewool said:

Yikes!!  That would make sense for pushing back decision. I hope this is not true!

I guess it is time for the ebs and flows to start again on this recruitment.  with this tweet it will freak our fan base out thinking we are not getting Romeo and in a couple of days something positive will be mentioned to get our hopes up again.  I am starting to think people out there are just putting things out there to play with our fan base because they no how we over react to every nugget out there.

22 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Hey Mile,

What's your take on the above  Inside the game tweet? 

I have no idea who "Inside the Game" is so I won't try to speak to their legitimacy but none of that makes sense. The combine is in May/withdraw date is in June so Romeo's April announcement won't allow him to know what Newman is doing at all. Furthermore, Newman is on zero mock drafts and doesn't even crack nbadraft.net's big 100 board so something would have to drastically change for a sophomore with seemingly zero draft stock to "go pro" with two years of eligibility on the table. He'll also be the offensive focal point next year with Graham, Myk, and presumably Vick and Azubukie all gone this year.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I guess it is time for the ebs and flows to start again on this recruitment.  with this tweet it will freak our fan base out thinking we are not getting Romeo and in a couple of days something positive will be mentioned to get our hopes up again.  I am starting to think people out there are just putting things out there to play with our fan base because they no how we over react to every nugget out there.

In a way it's kind of comical.  Romeo will commit to KU if player X leaves, so he can get more playing time.  Romeo will commit to KU if player X stays, so he has a better shot at playing for a national title.  LOL.

19 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Hey Mile,

What's your take on the above  Inside the game tweet? 

It's not consistent with what I was and have been told.  Been told that Kansas has been out of it for some time. However, things, as I always say are subject to change. But for now, I have not heard any differently.... and that KU is no longer a player.

45 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I have no idea who "Inside the Game" is so I won't try to speak to their legitimacy but none of that makes sense. The combine is in May/withdraw date is in June so Romeo's April announcement won't allow him to know what Newman is doing at all. Furthermore, Newman is on zero mock drafts and doesn't even crack nbadraft.net's big 100 board so something would have to drastically change for a sophomore with seemingly zero draft stock to "go pro" with two years of eligibility on the table. He'll also be the offensive focal point next year with Graham, Myk, and presumably Vick and Azubukie all gone this year.

Below is a direct quote from the NCAA eligibility schedule for men's basketball.

This year, men's basketball student-athletes wishing to retain their eligibility must withdraw from the NBA draft by 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, April 10. This applies only to underclassmen who already have declared for the draft.

The NBA’s deadline for student-athletes to enter the draft is April 29. However, if underclassmen declare between April 11-29, they will relinquish any remaining college eligibility.

18 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Had to reply to this "Insider". #IUBB fans know that Newman is not a one and done already since he's a sophomore.

This is his 3rd year in college with one at Miss.. St and the year he sat out at KU plus this year so some of these guys need to do some research before hitting send.

Was looking at that guys twitter and he has been blocked by a couple people (Dakich included) and seems proud of it.  Also has a lot of posts where he is being a blatant jerk to people. Doesn't seem like someone who would have "sources".  I bet his sources are other people's twitter.

2 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Was looking at that guys twitter and he has been blocked by a couple people (Dakich included) and seems proud of it.  Also has a lot of posts where he is being a blatant jerk to people. Doesn't seem like someone who would have "sources".  I bet his sources are other people's twitter.

Yep. His history doesn't seem like he's someone that would be connected...although in this day and age there are plenty of people with under 100 followers who hide in plain view. Guess I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. 

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't put to much stock in where he is announcing because plenty of players went elsewhere and announced at their school or community.

That is very true.  However, I feel what makes this interesting is that the Langford's specifically requested the Mayor to be part of the announcement.  It just seems to me, unlikely, that they would announce for another school while having the Mayor who attended IU , and has a wife who is a HUGH IU fan as part of the ceremony.  That, to me, makes this announcement different from the ones where the recruit announces for a school not popular with the community.  But time will tell.  Each day that passes, gets us one day closer to announcement day.

49 minutes ago, dyedinthewool said:

Below is a direct quote from the NCAA eligibility schedule for men's basketball.

This year, men's basketball student-athletes wishing to retain their eligibility must withdraw from the NBA draft by 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, April 10. This applies only to underclassmen who already have declared for the draft.

The NBA’s deadline for student-athletes to enter the draft is April 29. However, if underclassmen declare between April 11-29, they will relinquish any remaining college eligibility.

That's either inaccurate or just outdated. The NCAA reformed this rule two years ago to allow college kids who don't have an agent to participate in the combine (which happens in May) to come back to school so long as they withdraw from the draft before 10 days after the end of the combine. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-moves-withdrawal-deadline-for-nba-draft-to-after-combine/

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That is very true.  However, I feel what makes this interesting is that the Langford's specifically requested the Mayor to be part of the announcement.  It just seems to me, unlikely, that they would announce for another school while having the Mayor who attended IU , and has a wife who is a HUGH IU fan as part of the ceremony.  That, to me, makes this announcement different from the ones where the recruit announces for a school not popular with the community.  But time will tell.  Each day that passes, gets us one day closer to announcement day.

I am hoping all of that is correct but I just not going to get my hopes up and then he decides for KU or Vandy.  To me I can live with the pick being KU but if it is Vandy I just can't see how he would pick them over us.  I am just ready for this to get over and IU and the fans can move on one way or the other.

10 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

That's either inaccurate or just outdated. The NCAA reformed this rule two years ago to allow college kids who don't have an agent to participate in the combine (which happens in May) to come back to school so long as they withdraw from the draft before 10 days after the end of the combine. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-moves-withdrawal-deadline-for-nba-draft-to-after-combine/

There wasn't a date on the NCAA article so it appears to be dated. Thanks for the update.

Archived