Romeo Langford

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Just listened to JMV 1070 the fan AM radio out of Indy, as I always do, driving home from work. Greg Rakestraw from Indy radio ESPN 1070 THE FAN was on and  told JMV that he is still hearing from  "his people" that there is still a Vandy lean. He also said he was told that Romeo was pushing back the announcement to avoid IU fan backlash.

I don't know how creditable Rakestraw is, but it was interesting hearing his view on the Romeo recruitment. 

I thought I posted this same thing but somehow it did not take but I heard that show as well.  He e is the program director at 1070 as well as a long time high school and college announcer.  he is from southern Indiana and probably has connections down south.  he will be announcing the Seymour semi state this week but who really knows what is fact or fiction.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Just listened to JMV 1070 the fan AM radio out of Indy, as I always do, driving home from work. Greg Rakestraw from Indy radio ESPN 1070 THE FAN was on and  told JMV that he is still hearing from  "his people" that there is still a Vandy lean. He also said he was told that Romeo was pushing back the announcement to avoid IU fan backlash.

I don't know how creditable Rakestraw is, but it was interesting hearing his view on the Romeo recruitment. 

Mr. Rakestraw dost not wot what the fine young sir, Romeo, is bethinking. 

I don’t see how pushing back the announcement avoids “backlash” given the season would have been over anyway...

especially since this moves the announcement into the state of Indiana rather than out of the state like an earlier announcement would have done.

i don’t think people close to Romeo are talking about this at all, my guess is that all perceptions are being received from the staffs at each respective school.

11 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Not sure your guys take on JMV.  But I love him.  He and I used to trade some great recruiting "intel" back in the day.  I found him to be very informed, and cordial... always willing to talk to this old smuck out of Colorado.

Now I don't know about this Rakestraw character.  However, I will say this.  He needs to get some new sources.

The Langford family has been the most tight lipped family of any recruit I have kept track of. Anyone saying there is a lean, did not get it from the Langford family. 

19 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

What else is funny another Indy sports guy Kent Sterling who is from New Albany has said he heard it is IU for a long time so who knows who is right or wrong.

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

I am just going to hang on to what Mile has been saying which has the "feel" of and IU lean without actually saying it. Is that safe to say Mile?🤞

Considering where Archie was in terms of Romeo, when Archie first got to IU.... I feel safe in saying that IU's  chances right now are as good as anybody.  The point being... I have no clue what Romeo is going to do.  But one thing I am sure of.... is... outside of his family... I am sure no one else knows for sure.... either.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Considering where Archie was in terms of Romeo, when Archie first got to IU.... I feel safe in saying that IU's  chances right now are as good as anybody.  The point being... I have no clue what Romeo is going to do.  But one thing I am sure of.... is... outside of his family... I am sure no one else knows for sure.... either.

Duly noted!👌

Just my two cents. I don't think it's breaking news that there has always been a Southern Indiana vs Indy type of....not sure the right word to use...fight or difference between the two. Indy thinks the state revolves around them and other parts of the state feel a bit of resentment towards that. I bring that up for this reason. So for the first time in a loooooong time a true Southern Indiana kid is on the big time national stage and you have every reporter, radio guy,etc....from Indy in the world asking to get the scoop. If I were the Langford's I wouldn't be rushing to share with any Indy guy who hasn't called in years. Again just my two cents when reports of Indy radio guy thinking they have the scoop.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Coaches put players in bad situations all the time.  They recruit over them.  They  jump to a better job offer.  The coaches get paid millions while only a selected few schools are allowed by the NCAA to pay the players that much, etc.  I don't feel sorry for the coach when a young man is making this important of a decision.

Says the guy who isnt the coach making millions.

3 minutes ago, brooksjrherbert said:

I have been reading this thread everyday and has a lot of mood changes. I for one will be glad when the announcement is made. After the coaching threads went on and on I promised I wouldn't get caught up in another thread like this buuuut didn't happen lol.

Yep. If Romeo says yes to us the boards will explode. If he says no....might be best to take a week or two vacation. Haha..

The highs and lows of a pitched recruiting battle. It's comical to see such confidence on all three fan forums.  The only thing rock solid for certain is that a month from now, two fanbase bubbles are going to be popped. I feel pretty good about this one, but life is full of disappointments. A lot of people are going to get a good life lesson at the end of this battle.

Something I find comical about Vandy/KU fans (even some of ours lol) is that they don't talk about IU's players possibly going to the NBA/or transferring. Maybe Romeo isn't waiting for Newman to leave or for a player from Vandy to transfer, but instead making sure that guys like Juwan Morgan, Deron Davis, and Justin Smith decide to stay. Maybe because our roster isn't as stacked as KU's, or as good of a recruiting class as Vandy's, that it's important to Romeo that he has full transparency with the IU roster outlook before committing. 

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

My perspective, if he is looking to avoid backlash and has known it is not IU for a long time, he should have eliminated us months ago.  Keeping Indiana fans thinking they have a chance just builds up resentment if he goes elsewhere.

The Romeo hype train is not nearly as big if he had called it for Vanderbilt or Kansas in the past month or two.  I think if he goes elsewhere now that the backlash will be much worse than it would have been a few months ago.

If that is truly the logic the family applied to this decision, I think they grossly misjudged.

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The back lash thing is complete bogus and literally a guess

Agree.  Why did he spend literally hours after his season ending games, signing autographs..... for IU fans ?  If Romeo wanted to alienate IU fans.... he could have just left the gym after the games, and got on the bus so his teammates would not have had to waited hours for him.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Agree.  Why did he spend literally hours after his season ending games, signing autographs..... for IU fans ?  If Romeo wanted to alienate IU fans.... he could have just left the gym after the games, and got on the bus so his teammates would not have had to waited hours for him.

I was told he was wanting to avoid backlash several months ago.  Since then I don’t believe that and think if he’s leaning anyway it’s to the candy striped pants

Archived