Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

De’Ron and Juwan have.  Not so sure about Green.  And no that doesn’t mean he’s transferring and he may very well be with those other 2 I just haven’t heard that.

As long as Deron stays healthy, we should have the best front court in the BIG next year 

11 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

They're saying over on Btown that Morgan, Deron, and Green all just signed a lease together for next year so I doubt Morgan has any plans to leave.

I am just wondering how any one could find this kind of info out.  To me if people are trying to find this kind of info out it seems creepy to me.

Not trying to stir the pot, but curious to see what others on the board are thinking:

Archie Miller seems to be staying patient with the RL recruiting process, and I believe it is for the long-term impact that he tried his best to land him whether he comes to IU or not. 

That said, I’ve grown weary of RL’s “due diligence.”  Granted, it has proceeded as his family has stated.   But, to me, the unspoken message is entitlement.   Maybe I’m getting old and grouchy, but I am a fan of players who do NOT seek to make decisions on ESPN, or otherwise draw undue attention to themselves.  Players that do this usually follow a me first approach in a team setting, and I suppose the most recent example of this would be James Blackmon, Jr.   

If Romeo goes elsewhere, so be it.  The coaching staff, and even the players, have made it clear they want him here.  Further, don’t like the example he is setting for other high schoolers in the state of drawing this out.   Can you imagine the unknowns if everyone felt the need to wait to April to commit for the upcoming season.   I get it, he’s a special talent, but I am turned off by him holding the team hostage.

9 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Not trying to stir the pot, but curious to see what others on the board are thinking:

Archie Miller seems to be staying patient with the RL recruiting process, and I believe it is for the long-term impact that he tried his best to land him whether he comes to IU or not. 

That said, I’ve grown weary of RL’s “due diligence.”  Granted, it has proceeded as his family has stated.   But, to me, the unspoken message is entitlement.   Maybe I’m getting old and grouchy, but I am a fan of players who do NOT seek to make decisions on ESPN, or otherwise draw undue attention to themselves.  Players that do this usually follow a me first approach in a team setting, and I suppose the most recent example of this would be James Blackmon, Jr.   

If Romeo goes elsewhere, so be it.  The coaching staff, and even the players, have made it clear they want him here.  Further, don’t like the example he is setting for other high schoolers in the state of drawing this out.   Can you imagine the unknowns if everyone felt the need to wait to April to commit for the upcoming season.   I get it, he’s a special talent, but I am turned off by him holding the team hostage.

I expect you'll get roasted by all the posters who have a man crush on Romeo.  I think you're right that the reason he's drawn this out is because he loves the attention.  But I don't know that that necessarily means he's a me-first guy in the team context.  One of the things I really like about his game is his ability to hit the open man when double-teamed, and another is that he doesn't take a lot of bad shots.  To me, that doesn't say he's a me-first guy.  Just my opinion, and I haven't seen him a ton.

1 minute ago, BoomBaby said:

I expect you'll get roasted by all the posters who have a man crush on Romeo.  I think you're right that the reason he's drawn this out is because he loves the attention.  But I don't know that that necessarily means he's a me-first guy in the team context.  One of the things I really like about his game is his ability to hit the open man when double-teamed, and another is that he doesn't take a lot of bad shots.  To me, that doesn't say he's a me-first guy.  Just my opinion, and I haven't seen him a ton.

I actually appreciate that he has taken his time with this. It tells me that he is giving Archie a legit look and 1 full season at IU to show how he plans to run the program going forward. 

Understand your point but respectfully disagree.  The Langfords have not deviated from their position since stated last year.  RL apparently was not even considering IU until CAM was appointed coach 1yr age.  He absolutely should be taking his time specifically wrt IU.  I don't know why CTC was unable to recruit him maybe someone could comment on that for me..  I see the Langfords as doing their due diligence to make the most important decision to this date for RL and his playing career.  I don't get a sense of "entitlement" from anything reported to date nor from any of the comments made by RL or his family.   He and his family have shown nothing but class and character to this point.  As I have stated before, it simply is none of our business until he does commit to IU.  I hope that he does.  If so, I will cheer him on just as.I always have for the young men wearing the Candy Stripes.  If he chooses elsewhere I will wish him well but won't be following his career any further.  I believe CAM has shown his recruiting and coaching chops regardless.  I don't like the waiting but it is what it is.  

37 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Didn't JBJ announce his decision on espn?  Am I reading this wrong.

Good and respectful posts.

I disagree that Fundamentals will get flamed, but I believe his post will be analyzed.
Though I disagree with much of Fundamentals' post, there is one part I agree with.  The idea that other recruits may draw out their process to garner attention.  Possible, but time will tell.  Social media as it is, I see this only getting worse over time.  The age where the selfie is the most popular picture, and Facebook friends are all too often more important than 'real' ones.  (I do not like the "me" age we seem to live in by any means, but I do not see it getting better).  As for RL, I do not see him in this manner.  I remember an article where a journalist approached him and Romeo bowed his head and wished to avoid the interview not wanting to field more questions to be printed.  He did not want the added attention.  If he truly is drawing out what was decided to be a drawn out process anyway for attention, he denies zero interviews.

I think that by taking one last visit to IU, this will be very key for both parties involved, for IU and for the entire Langford family.  Romeo and family knows what IU has in its basketball program with Archie and company, maybe this visit in April will give him even more confidence with the campus and academics.  

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

Respect your opinion but also disagree. I haven't seen anything from RL that seems like he desires attention or is a me-first player. He seems almost shy to me off the court. He seems so humble, that he comes across as slightly uncomfortable with all of the attention he's getting. On the court, he is usually so much better than the other players on the court that he takes most of the shots, but rarely takes bad ones, and is a willing passer. 

Not regarding your post, but the posts of others who have claimed he is going to pick Vandy to get away from the attention/pressure of playing at IU. They obviously feel that he doesn't desire attention if they're saying that or they are just doomsday-Purdue types that are trying to find reasons to explain why he won't pick IU. 

24 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I think that by taking one last visit to IU, this will be very key for both parties involved, for IU and for the entire Langford family.  Romeo and family knows what IU has in its basketball program with Archie and company, maybe this visit in April will give him even more confidence with the campus and academics.  

I've been told that unless this visit is a catastrophic cluster of a failure,  it's pretty much game over and he's IU bound....

McHoop

Maybe it was 100 pages ago in this thread but I'll just say this again.  So often we criticize players/families/kids for making quick, snap decisions only to back out of that decision and go elsewhere (insert Trey Lyles). Langford's have stuck with their process and time line. While it pains me to no end...the end is coming. Getting another visit has to be viewed as a good thing. How about this? We make Romeo honorary starter for Little 5 race on April 21st? Talk about a visit....haha.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe it was 100 pages ago in this thread but I'll just say this again.  So often we criticize players/families/kids for making quick, snap decisions only to back out of that decision and go elsewhere (insert Trey Lyles). Langford's have stuck with their process and time line. While it pains me to no end...the end is coming. Getting another visit has to be viewed as a good thing. How about this? We make Romeo honorary starter for Little 5 race on April 21st? Talk about a visit....haha.

I like where your head's at 6. Id have to think thats tiptoeing in a pretty grey area tho. 

35 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Also, this board is special.  Appreciate hearing from you and with civility.   Read other boards and the sophomoric ad hominem is silly.  Thanks folks, for making HSN a great place to share being a fan with others who love the same team. 

Your check is in the mail.   LOL

One point I would like to take issue is the splash on ESPN.   If the Langford's wanted to make a splash on ESPN, there would be no greater time and stage than at McDonald's in Atlanta.  Initially there was speculation that would happen.  However, since then Tim Langford has specifically set out an announcement time after the McDonald's game. And has said the announcement will come in New Albany, perhaps at the school.  And that the Mayor was invited.  However, unless that has changed, after Tim's statement, I got word that the Mayor had not heard from Tim.  Seeing as how Tim has lived up to all his previous statements.... I am willing to chalk that one up to putting the cart in front of the horse.

An oh by the way..... word has come to me that the planned trip to IU, is still a go. And is scheduled to happen sometime in April.  Date YTBD. 

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

For the life of me I cannot understand any kid committing early.  With scandals and coaching changes such a big part of college basketball today, I'd want  my kid to know who he was going to play for, and that he'd have a shot at playing in the post season.  Also, the recruiting process is stressful enough,  that I doubt I'd want to do it twice.  Waiting as long as possible before committing seems prudent to me.

Holding the team hostage? Nobody has to wait for the kid, they can move on.  The fact he has waited so long, may be why we get him. The langfords have done everything they said they were going to do. Maybe you are annoyed with the current player climate, but romeo didn't make things this way.  He was U of L bound and had to reset his plans due to a prostitution ring lol. Then he wanted to see how 2 almost brand new coaches handled their seasons while focusing on his team's season. I love that the kid did all these things, shows that he is patient and smart.

I suppose his timing and waiting it out does suck a bit FOR US, but what a great problem to have. It could be worse! He could be committed somewhere else right now. 

We've already talked about all the why's..with everything that is swirling around Bball right now, why wouldn't they wait for the clearest possible picture. I bet there's a few others that wish they waited as well this year.

I think this has been fun and has brought us closer, not like group-hug-in-the-shower closer, just more acquainted i suppose.

And, what else would we talk about instead?

-The next dumb thing to fall out of RMKs mouth

-what kind of innovative zone offense CTC will run at Ga

-nexts years after halftime line up

-fouls next wife candidate

-HTD's obvious love for all things Gold and Black

-How quickly ANY comment DB makes will send some into meltdown

We've covered all these pretty well, let's stay on Romeo for a while longer? 

Archived