Romeo Langford

2 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Not trying to stir the pot, but curious to see what others on the board are thinking:

Archie Miller seems to be staying patient with the RL recruiting process, and I believe it is for the long-term impact that he tried his best to land him whether he comes to IU or not. 

That said, I’ve grown weary of RL’s “due diligence.”  Granted, it has proceeded as his family has stated.   But, to me, the unspoken message is entitlement.   Maybe I’m getting old and grouchy, but I am a fan of players who do NOT seek to make decisions on ESPN, or otherwise draw undue attention to themselves.  Players that do this usually follow a me first approach in a team setting, and I suppose the most recent example of this would be James Blackmon, Jr.   

If Romeo goes elsewhere, so be it.  The coaching staff, and even the players, have made it clear they want him here.  Further, don’t like the example he is setting for other high schoolers in the state of drawing this out.   Can you imagine the unknowns if everyone felt the need to wait to April to commit for the upcoming season.   I get it, he’s a special talent, but I am turned off by him holding the team hostage.

His previous leader -- Louisville -- got knocked out of the box.  IU became a player when it wasn't previously.  Vanderbilt was in the process of signing a big recruiting class.  Given the topsy turvy nature of coaches moving and schools going on probation the decision to postpone makes sense.  Furthermore, what we have heard about Langford -- like signing autographs after every game for all comers -- doesn't sound like he feels more entitled than any other kid.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Romeo Langford signs autographs for hours after each road game. RL has not one single time retaliated when he has been roughed up on the court, not once. After Bell's game winner Saturday,  WC fans rushed the court and one of them (almost guaranteed a HS kid) shoved RL in the back as he was walking away, Romeo didn't even acknowledge them.. he just kept walking. He signed autographs in Seymour AGAIN this past Saturday even after his team got beat. He stayed at NA when there were tons telling him to go Prep because he so badly wanted to play at NA and win another state title. He and his parents have said the whole that he would not commit until the spring, it's just now the 2nd day of spring. He doesn't run his mouth, he doesn't beat his chest... why does everyone forget, this IU staff has only recruited him for 10 months.. this hasn't been some long recruitment. 

I deal with teenagers/the youth everyday.. it's honestly refreshing Romeo has taken his time. Good for him. 

There is NOTHING about Romeo that is me first, if you think so... you haven't been paying attention. And to call him entitled is quite honestly BS. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Romeo Langford signs autographs for hours after each road game. RL has not one single time retaliated when he has been roughed up on the court, not once. After Bell's game winner Saturday,  WC fans rushed the court and one of them (almost guaranteed a HS kid) shoved RL in the back as he was walking away, Romeo didn't even acknowledge them.. he just kept walking. He signed autographs in Seymour AGAIN this past Saturday even after his team got beat. He stayed at NA when there were tons telling him to go Prep because he so badly wanted to play at NA and win another state title. He and his parents have said the whole that he would not commit until the spring, it's just now the 2nd day of spring. He doesn't run his mouth, he doesn't beat his chest... why does everyone forget, this IU staff has only recruited him for 10 months.. this hasn't been some long recruitment. 

I deal with teenagers/the youth everyday.. it's honestly refreshing Romeo take his time. Good for him. 

There is NOTHING about Romeo that is me first, if you think so... you haven't been paying attention. 

All day long....

I personally have no clue why any kid would commit early in this day and age of scandal uncertainty, coaches bouncing all over the place, potential NBA early entry changes.  We are talking 17 and 18 year old kids.  I decided on iwu my freshman year 1 week before school started.  And I left after one year.  Guess I had character issues called immaturity.  :panic: that was me plus booze at iwu, not good.  

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I deal with teenagers/the youth everyday.. it's honestly refreshing Romeo has taken his time. Good for him. 

There is NOTHING about Romeo that is me first, if you think so... you haven't been paying attention. And to call him entitled is quite honestly BS. 

Good point. I get more and more amazed by this young man how he treats others and carries himself on and off the court, which is the reason I want Romeo to come to IU SO BAD.

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I think that by taking one last visit to IU, this will be very key for both parties involved, for IU and for the entire Langford family.  Romeo and family knows what IU has in its basketball program with Archie and company, maybe this visit in April will give him even more confidence with the campus and academics.  

I agree the group of trusted people giving input and helping this situation are very pro IU from what I am hearing this last visit is to seal the deal to leave no doubt. There are pros and cons for all 3 schools but 1 is clearly ahead and this is to be sure all questions are answered. 

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

^Truth. 

http://www.newsandtribune.com/sports/boys-basketball-even-after-a-devastating-defeat-romeo-langford-still/article_a9b1ac50-2d7c-11e8-a2d6-4769132a06d2.html

8 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

I know where you got this........

Do you go by another handle on another board?   If not,  then I'm not sure you do know;  not that it matters.   That said,  I believe in quality, not quantity when it comes to posting.  Especially when it pertains to recruiting information.   I'm not going to reveal the source because I don't want to jeopardize my good standing and don't want to betray a trust.   I will say this though,  the source based it upon DIRECT information from people extremely close to RL.

McHoop

4 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

I am just messing around with McHoop.  He does live in the same town as my hometown.  (Now he knows who I am ). I know where he got it.  He is right.  

Ok then.   You do know.  Enough said.   Leave it at that.

McHoop

25 minutes ago, McHoop said:

Do you go by another handle on another board?   If not,  then I'm not sure you do know;  not that it matters.   That said,  I believe in quality, not quantity when it comes to posting.  Especially when it pertains to recruiting information.   I'm not going to reveal the source because I don't want to jeopardize my good standing and don't want to betray a trust.   I will say this though,  the source based it upon DIRECT information from people extremely close to RL.

McHoop

Hope your contact is right.

I do not know how you could mess up an academic visit.  I would feel super comfortable if we still had Marla Mooney (sp?) on staff.  When it came to academics it sounded like she was a rockstar for the players.

Archived