Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jacarcio said:

Man, you recruit 2 5 stars and you get pretty cocky ha. I hope RL is able to contain their smugness a bit lol 

I know right?  lol 

Here is something else I found: 

by Vandy5 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Here are real stats for our Hoosier fan, who has none.

Last 10 yrs(that takes these kids back to being 7)

IU record- 182-150, 4 NCAA appearances, avg attendance 16,200, 6 players taken in NBA 1st rd, academic ranking #90, years on probation 3

VU record- 193-139, 5 NCAA appearances, avg attendance 11,700, 4 players taken in NBA 1st rd, academic ranking #14, years on probation, never in history of program 

Bloomington vs Nashville as far as place to live, things for college kids to do, not even close.

12 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

been looking around and found this posted on a Vandy board:

http://www.14powers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6661&sid=75617188fa371ca142fd6db3f364a0f6

There was another post probably on another fan forum where they cited that hilariously bad USA Today piece on the decision (the one that said they could contend for a national title with Romeo) and commented on what quality journalism it was.

ROFL.jpg

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Hi Scott.  Have you purchased all of your Bulldog gear yet?  I think Foot Locker is having a sale on hoodies.

Nope because I am an IU fan and have been over 40 years and I back whoever the coach is at IU.  Have you got your Vandy gear on so you can root for Romeo since he has been a lock for them all the time.

FKIM01 why do you find that so funny because I want my college coach to do whatever helps the team win and not to help a players draft stock.  I hate seeing coaches let 6'10 players play soley on the perimeter and shooting 3's because it will help them in the NBA.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

FKIM01 why do you find that so funny because I want my college coach to do whatever helps the team win and not to help a players draft stock.  I hate seeing coaches let 6'10 players play soley on the perimeter and shooting 3's because it will help them in the NBA.

I'm just enjoying the back and forth between you and DBM...that's what is funny to me. 

I didn't disagree with you that the coach's job is to win. My only comment there is that the coach should be upfront with recruits about how they are used and unfortunately, some coaches have been known to be dishonest in that regard.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm starting to get optimistic.  I just hope Garland doesn't get to him next week.  You know he's going to try.

Expanding on what 0708 just said...... I feel very confident in saying that Romeo's decision, whatever it eventually may come down to will be based primarily on the coach. Rather than attempted influences by a player/recruit. And how that coach handles his players in game situations.  Also they type of offense that coach runs, will have a greater influence on Romeo than any player/recruit.   As Romeo said.... when you get to college .... all the players are good.  Read into that, as I have, and it tells me, Romeo is looking much harder at coaching than the players he may eventually wind up playing with.

I hope that helps to allay some of your concerns.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not entirely sure, but if you were talking about Crean, my 2 cents is it could be a part of the style of offense he believes in. I mean when he was at IU, I couldn't quite understand either, but I realized in listening to Crean's first presser at UGA. It seemed like he craves 'versatility' in sort of extreme fashion; he wants guards who can post up and rebound and wants bigs who can shoot 3s. Part of the reason could be for recruiting and then preparing his players for the next level, but I felt like the most important part was simply that's what he wants.

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

been looking around and found this posted on a Vandy board:

http://www.14powers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6661&sid=75617188fa371ca142fd6db3f364a0f6

I guess Vandy fans aren't privy to the fact that Romeo has ended every other game with the crowds chanting "IU, IU , IU" after the final buzzer.  Either way I don't think anyone in their community would be all that excited to hear their hometown Hero is going off to play at Vandy or Kansas.

56 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I know right?  lol 

IU record- 182-150, 4 NCAA appearances, avg attendance 16,200, 6 players taken in NBA 1st rd, academic ranking #90, years on probation 3

VU record- 193-139, 5 NCAA appearances, avg attendance 11,700, 4 players taken in NBA 1st rd, academic ranking #14, years on probation, never in history of program 

Bloomington vs Nashville as far as place to live, things for college kids to do, not even close.

Granted that it has been a few years.  However...

Walk into Vanderbilt's "GYM", and what do you see ?

WlCjH1KncMxY7cQyl0issrojxeD7XIr9GsoSlF4Y

And then, walk into the Carnegie Hall of College basketball, to view this :

basketball.jpg

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Granted that it has been a few years.  However...

Walk into Vanderbilt's "GYM", and what do you see ?

WlCjH1KncMxY7cQyl0issrojxeD7XIr9GsoSlF4Y

And then, walk into the Carnegie Hall of College basketball, to view this :

basketball.jpg

That's a great photo Mile. Plus I might add how many Big titles does IU have compared to how many SEC titles does Vandy have???

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I know right?  lol 

They plucked stats from a ten year period where iu, unlike other schools who had recruiting issues, held themselves accountable and dismantled their team.  Then left out our bigten championships, and for some strange reason included their pathetic attendance numbers?  This is odd lol

Two things:  First, the Vandy poster's claims comparing IU to them shows that in many ways they have a comparable resume to us.  They are smart to compare the last ten years because this was the worst stretch in IU basketball history.  Gun to the head, who do you think they would pick in a "thingy" measuring contest over the next ten years, IU or Vandy? Second, in terms of the concerns from a couple pages back about kids wanting attention in this day and age, I just say that when I was in school, there was no Twitter, FB, or a 168 page thread followed by many post college men and women who are commenting on every possible move you may be making as a 17 year old.  Hard to see how this wall-to-wall coverage does not impact these kids.  Romeo, by all accounts, is handling this type of hype and coverage as maturely as anyone would reasonably expect.  My wife and kids never give me anywhere close to the attention these kids get from people all over the state.  My guess is that if people started fawning over me the way these kids get fawned over, I fear I could turn into a world-class arrogant pinhead.

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I know right?  lol 

Or another way to compare the programs:

IU 5

Kansas 3

Vandy ZERO

Archived