Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No summary for the article. Comments on twitter are pretty normal. I'll say this and I have no information at all. Glad Romeo's announcement date is few weeks away still. Some kids can get caught up in the moment and go with hot school. After Kansas won it would be naive to think that didn't help their chances. 

Romeo breaks down three finalists

A video posted by ITH

Great interview (felt pro IU in his answers regarding what he likes about IU, VU, KU) 

PLUS, I have never watched those highlights before, which include Romeo dunking on Darius Garland (4:20) and blocking Tyler Herro (3:15).  So satisfying. 

I also enjoy the fact that he had trouble remembering Bryce Drew's name (and had plenty of positives to say about CAM and staff without hesitation).  Seems to me that he has been thinking about one more than the other.

Hey wait a minute.  We've got members asking about the summary on Romeo's final three, which was pay per view, I guess on Sunday.  Yet, today, Alex over at ITH publishes a Rivals video from Bossi talking to Romeo about his final 3.... Free of charge ?   Seems like someone just yesterday was talking about, why pay for material, when eventually it comes out for free.  Oh wait.... that was me ! LOL

And it was one of our members who published  the link from ITH.  Thanks A-hOhL !

Another reason why HSN 3.0, if I have anything to do with it,  will never have a membership fee to read material, that eventually becomes free material.  Just wait a day or two, is all. 

28 minutes ago, A-hOhL said:

A video posted by ITH

Great interview (felt pro IU in his answers regarding what he likes about IU, VU, KU) 

PLUS, I have never watched those highlights before, which include Romeo dunking on Darius Garland (4:20) and blocking Tyler Herro (3:15).  So satisfying. 

I also enjoy the fact that he had trouble remembering Bryce Drew's name (and had plenty of positives to say about CAM and staff without hesitation).  Seems to me that he has been thinking about one more than the other.

In addition, he said KU making the FF doesn't really impact his decision which answers the question of a few posters above.

38 minutes ago, A-hOhL said:

A video posted by ITH

Based on this video...only this video...I really, really like our chances. I think Archie has done enough in 1 season in regards to coaching ,development, his track record, etc. to show he's a guy that can get the most out of his players on both ends. 

Kansas sounds out to me...Vandy...eh...as long as DG doesn't flip him in Atlanta, we're good.

just my opinions based on this 5 minute interview, plus readings on here

3 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Based on this video...only this video...I really, really like our chances. I think Archie has done enough in 1 season in regards to coaching ,development, his track record, etc. to show he's a guy that can get the most out of his players on both ends. 

Kansas sounds out to me...Vandy...eh...as long as DG doesn't flip him in Atlanta, we're good.

just my opinions based on this 5 minute interview, plus readings on here

I like his shirt...hmmm.

51 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hey wait a minute.  We've got members asking about the summary on Romeo's final three, which was pay per view, I guess on Sunday.  Yet, today, Alex over at ITH publishes a Rivals video from Bossi talking to Romeo about his final 3.... Free of charge ?   Seems like someone just yesterday was talking about, why pay for material, when eventually it comes out for free.  Oh wait.... that was me ! LOL

And it was one of our members who published  the link from ITH.  Thanks A-hOhL !

Another reason why HSN 3.0, if I have anything to do with it,  will never have a membership fee to read material, that eventually becomes free material.  Just wait a day or two, is all. 

What's the rule on that out of curiosity? Sharing pay material on other sites? I've never paid a dime for message board info. I've always thought the best way was to identify which 3-4 posters have the best track record and follow them. Same for Twitter. Plenty of blowhards trying to be first.

I've been perusing boards for 25 years. To me I don't know of even a close second that sniffs what this board brings to the table for IU related information. It's accurate and for the most part free of the idiots that take over other boards. 

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not sure of a specific penalty.  But rather a gentlemen's agreement not to share.  Having said that, over the past couple of years, I have seen more and more pay per view material being shared on other sites.

Thanks. Usually between the 7-8 sites or blogs or whatever that cover IU the dirt doesn't stay private for long...and many times it's known before the experts write about it. I was blown away how out of the loop some of the Indy area radio guys are regarding Romeo's recruitment. I know they have many subjects to prep for but 2 things move the needle in Indy. Colts and IU hoops. 20 minutes of research on this thread could make a couple of the afternoon guys sound actually intelligent and that's for 1070 and 1260...even 1430.

Put this in the crystal ball thread, but seems like it makes more sense here...

I'm actually more concerned about Kansas after watching the video. One thing that came through loud and clear is that one of the biggest criteria, if not the biggest, is NBA preparation. He's very focused on the NBA, coaches that have put people in the NBA and being in a system that prepares you. He specifically mentioned Self putting big guards (ie. players like him) in the NBA. 

This is where the Schilling hire has real potential to pay off, but at the same time Schilling isn't Archie, and Archie hasn't really been in the NBA world in terms of getting guys to the league. I'm just wondering if the delayed announcement is to get another IU visit in, and to see who is staying/leaving from Kansas? Maybe those two schools are separating a bit?

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Put this in the crystal ball thread, but seems like it makes more sense here...

I'm actually more concerned about Kansas after watching the video. One thing that came through loud and clear is that one of the biggest criteria, if not the biggest, is NBA preparation. He's very focused on the NBA, coaches that have put people in the NBA and being in a system that prepares you. He specifically mentioned Self putting big guards (ie. players like him) in the NBA. 

This is where the Schilling hire has real potential to pay off, but at the same time Schilling isn't Archie, and Archie hasn't really been in the NBA world in terms of getting guys to the league. I'm just wondering if the delayed announcement is to get another IU visit in, and to see who is staying/leaving from Kansas? Maybe those two schools are separating a bit?

He also mentioned Drew’s experience in the NBA and current focus on getting players prepared for the NBA as a positive for Vandy.  Although I don’t think either Drew or Archie have ever put anyone in the NBA, have they?

If prep for the pro game was a priority, I'm surprised Crean didn't get more of a look. Crean did a good job preparing players for the NBA and I see Archie being even better in that regard.  Morgan, although not ready, took a giant leap forward this year.  Ultimately, I see distance becoming more of a factor here despite Romeo saying nice things about Kansas.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He also mentioned Drew’s experience in the NBA and current focus on getting players prepared for the NBA as a positive for Vandy.  Although I don’t think either Drew or Archie have ever put anyone in the NBA, have they?

He did mention Drew's experience. I guess while I shouldn't, I just discount Vandy. I just feel like there's nothing they offer from a basketball perspective that you can't get at IU or Kansas. I almost laughed when Langford said he took that Vandy visit because he hadn't been to a game there yet. I don't know how anyone could possibly go to a Vandy game, go to an IU game and watch Kansas on TV and then pick Vandy?!?! It just doesn't make any sense to me. 

So as far as the NBA, Self is the winner there, and then I'd say IU/Schilling is behind them. Yes, Drew played in the NBA but the system he's never put anybody there. 

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

If prep for the pro game was a priority, I'm surprised Crean didn't get more of a look. Crean did a good job preparing players for the NBA and I see Archie being even better in that regard.  Morgan, although not ready, took a giant leap forward this year.  Ultimately, I see distance becoming more of a factor here despite Romeo saying nice things about Kansas.

This is me just completely making stuff up based on the video, timeline, etc., but this is why I feel like it's narrowing to IU/Kansas. If my theory has any merit (which it may not at all) he wants to check out IU another time and get into the academics, etc., and he wants to see who leaves/stays at Kansas. He may be leaning towards those and wants to visit IU to see if the feeling there puts IU over the top (legendary status, Schilling, home school, etc.) or maybe Kansas ultimately pulls it out due to NBA, recent success, etc. 

Again, I'm just making this up. Who knows?

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I get the impression Crean got on people's nerves and you either loved him or hated him. I think he's a great guy and means well but it wasn't hard to see why some teenage kids and their parents would find him to be kind of a tool personality wise. It didn't help that he is relentless by nature so he probably wore out his welcome with a few recruits before he could find a way to endear himself to them.

Just now, BGleas said:

This is me just completely making stuff up based on the video, timeline, etc., but this is why I feel like it's narrowing to IU/Kansas. If my theory has any merit (which it may not at all) he wants to check out IU another time and get into the academics, etc., and he wants to see who leaves/stays at Kansas. He may be leaning towards those and wants to visit IU to see if the feeling there puts IU over the top (legendary status, Schilling, home school, etc.) or maybe Kansas ultimately pulls it out due to NBA, recent success, etc. 

Again, I'm just making this up. Who knows?

In that regard, we're all in the same boat. No one knows so it's entertaining to put theories out there for discussion.  I've heard Romeo's father mention couple  of times that Kansas is too far for another visit. At least in the parents' minds, distance is a factor.

I also liked seeing Romeo wearing "everybody wants to be a legend" on his chest. Coincidence?  Maybe but man did I like seeing that.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I get the impression Crean got on people's nerves and you either loved him or hated him. I think he's a great guy and means well but it wasn't hard to see why some teenage kids and their parents would find him to be kind of a tool personality wise. It didn't help that he is relentless by nature so he probably wore out his welcome with a few recruits before he could find a way to endear himself to them.

No question his quirky personality hurt some recruiting efforts. I can buy what you're selling here although his development track record for the NBA was pretty danged impressive. 

52 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

To me if he is so worried about getting to the NBA as fast as possible then KU probably will win out.  Also if his main focus is getting tot he NBA fast then if he doesn't come here I will not lose sleep over it because I want players focused on making their college team the best it can be. 

On the other board there has been a discussion on how you want IU to build their roster.  Do you want it to be built like Villinova and even UNC with mainly players ranked 25-80 or go to the Duke or UK model.  I don't mid a one and done here or there but I don't want a roster full of one and done players.  A lot of people want to win at all cost and don't care about anything else but I want more out of my college program than just winning.

One thing people haven't talked about much recently in regards to Kansas is the whole Billy Preston issue they have on their hands.  That hasn't been cleared up yet, right?  Also, Romeo is going to get to the NBA wherever he goes, and he's going to be a high lottery pick.  I don't think Kansas has the upper hand, just because Self has put big guards in the NBA.  Every kid he's "put" into the NBA, would have made it anyways.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

To me if he is so worried about getting to the NBA as fast as possible then KU probably will win out.  Also if his main focus is getting tot he NBA fast then if he doesn't come here I will not lose sleep over it because I want players focused on making their college team the best it can be. 

On the other board there has been a discussion on how you want IU to build their roster.  Do you want it to be built like Villinova and even UNC with mainly players ranked 25-80 or go to the Duke or UK model.  I don't mid a one and done here or there but I don't want a roster full of one and done players.  A lot of people want to win at all cost and don't care about anything else but I want more out of my college program than just winning.

Hey Scott, I know we’ve clashed heads in the past and there’s nothing wrong with that. Just two passionate IU fans with different POVs. 

I think it’s a myth that just because you’re a one and done that it makes you a self centered ‘me first’ type of player. It might at Duke but Cal actually gets his guys to buy into the team first mentality and has them playing defense.

As far as what model is best for IU? I’d like to go with the UNC model with the longer term vision of being more like UK, Duke, and Kansas. It’s still all about talent for me. Every year duke, uk, or Kansas makes the final four and ultimately that’s what it’s all about. Continuously being there in the end. I don’t want a goofy hard nosed system like UVA. Thank god we missed on Bennett but that’s off topic.

Archived