Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, kaustical said:

In my mind, no matter how I look at it, we seem to be set up perfectly for him to come in and excel.  Thing is this young man may have a different set of priorities (GO IU) than I.  That's a shame.  With Archies's hire, I haven't felt this good going forward for a long time.  Romeo or not, we be alright. 

Yea, when I try to look at it as objectively as possible, there are valid reasons for RL to go to either IU or Kansas.  IMO, Vanderbilt just doesn't seem to offer anything other than to play with a couple of other highly ranked players.  From listening to what Tim Langford has said, it seems like the parents wishes would be deciding factor between IU and Kansas.  But like you said, we don't know exactly what will motivate Romeo's decision.  Because of that I can't begin to make a prediction, but I hope he decides based on sound, logical reasons and not because of some B.S. sales pitch and/or pressure from a head coach or fellow recruit.

59 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yea, when I try to look at it as objectively as possible, there are valid reasons for RL to go to either IU or Kansas.  IMO, Vanderbilt just doesn't seem to offer anything other than to play with a couple of other highly ranked players.  From listening to what Tim Langford has said, it seems like the parents wishes would be deciding factor between IU and Kansas.  But like you said, we don't know exactly what will motivate Romeo's decision.  Because of that I can't begin to make a prediction, but I hope he decides based on sound, logical reasons and not because of some B.S. sales pitch and/or pressure from a head coach or fellow recruit.

Yeah, I agree, vandy seems like a poor choice but that's my opinion, be glad to have it over.  Where ever he chooses, He's a good kid, He'll do just fine. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

One of the announcers said something that some feel like that Vandy is in the lead but no one really knows anything.  Also on the broadcast they talked about Vandy and what a good job Drew is doing there.

If Drew is doing a good job at Vanderbilt, I would hate to see what a bad job looks like. 

Prediction:  Even with the recruits they have a mediocre season next year as Drew fails to mesh the egos.  

McDonald's AA players weight in on where they think Romeo is going....

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/mcdonald-s-aa-game-prospects-predict-peers-college-decisions

4 of them said Kansas
5 of them said Vandy
5 or 6 of them said Indiana (split between 5 and 6 because “I want to say Indiana but for some reason I want to say Kansas so I’m going to go with them.” – Reddish

Two that stand out to me are...
“I think him, D.G. and Simi have something planned. They just don’t want to tell anybody.” – White
“He’s going to Indiana. He’s staying home.” – King

The King one is interesting because King and Romeo where together a lot and its the only quote that seems positive and not speculative.

FWIW, I missed the last play of the game.. but I did not see Garland and Romeo ever sit next to each other or chat or have any on court chemistry.

17 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

“I think him, D.G. and Simi have something planned. They just don’t want to tell anybody.” – White

I would not begrudge Romeo is choice but it would seem out of his personality type to have “something planned” with other recruits and wait to announce...

It would also seem out of Garland’s personality type to not have given even a hint of there being a plan in place...

he may go to Vandy, and he may go to Kansas, and in both cases I would be disappointed, but I think if he knew with any amount of certainty where he was going than he would have announced already...

hope it’s IU...would be one of the best recruiting classes we have ever had I think...top five or so at least.

24 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Interesting.  I like hearing Grimes saying IU.  He is probably the guy who knows him best out of all of them.

25 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/mcdonald-s-aa-game-prospects-predict-peers-college-decisions

4 of them said Kansas
5 of them said Vandy
5 or 6 of them said Indiana (split between 5 and 6 because “I want to say Indiana but for some reason I want to say Kansas so I’m going to go with them.” – Reddish

The King one is interesting because King and Romeo where together a lot and its the only quote that seems positive and not speculative.

FWIW, I missed the last play of the game.. but I did not see Garland and Romeo ever sit next to each other or chat or have any on court chemistry.

If there's anything on that list that stands out to me it's that Grimes predicted IU.  From many accounts, Grimes is Romeo's best friend and would probably be the one he communicates with the most.  I doubt Romeo has given Grimes any confidential info, but of all the other recruits he (Grimes) would seem like the one to have the most insight.  Then again, maybe it's a smokescreen, LOL.

29 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

4 of them said Kansas
5 of them said Vandy

Funny that the two Kansas commits pick IU and why was Garland and Shittu not picking in this poll

48 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

4 of them said Kansas
5 of them said Vandy

I get it, these are high school kids and they live in their own little bubble, but it's so irritating the way the guys that picked Vandy act like there's only talent in their own class and only if a guy is a McDonald's AA. One guy picked Vandy and said something to the effect of "At IU he'll have to carry the load, but at Vandy he'll have lots of talent around him with Garland and Shittu."

I'll take a senior Juwan Morgan, and even a sophomore Justin Smith, over a freshmen Shittu (even if he was fully healthy) every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Heck, Jerome Hunter could have every bit as good of a freshmen year as Shittu. If (big if) he puts it all together, I'd take a junior Green over Garland. 

IU has a way more talented roster than Vandy. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I get it, these are high school kids and they live in their own little bubble, but it's so irritating the way the guys that picked Vandy act like there's only talent in their own class and only if a guy is a McDonald's AA. One guy picked Vandy and said something to the effect of "At IU he'll have to carry the load, but at Vandy he'll have lots of talent around him with Garland and Shittu."

I'll take a senior Juwan Morgan, and even a sophomore Justin Smith, over a freshmen Shittu (even if he was fully healthy) every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Heck, Jerome Hunter could have every bit as good of a freshmen year as Shittu. If (big if) he puts it all together, I'd take a junior Green over Garland. 

Amen, preach it brother.  Also I did not see one guy pick Vandy For Montgomery and on TV it said that Vandy was in the mix for him.

15 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Do you think LSU is dirty?  Wade was hired when Archie was but he's already stocking up on 5 stars at a football school.

I don't know much about Wade but based on what I know about LSU, I suspect they are. LSU and 5 star basketball players are not exactly strangers, they just don't do anything with the ones they get. 

So, his announcement is in about 2 weeks....do we have any idea WHERE it may be?   Didn't his Dad mention doing it in New Albany? As a public event or something? I don't mean for that to sound bad (ego), But to show appreciation for all the support they have felt from the community

I can't remember if Dad said that or someone here said it.

1 hour ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

4 of them said Kansas
5 of them said Vandy

Yea, I heard Garland called Romeo a dummy in the huddle during one of the timeouts last night :coffee:

Echoing previous sentiments - hearing Dotson and Grimes each predict IU is great. I got chills from just reading Dotson say that. Man I would love to have this kid at IU.

@BGleas yup. IU roster even without Romeo is going to be very solid, way better than vandy. I think these freshman are going to be awesome. Don't count out forrester being an immediate contributor either. He has the size we'll need if Cliff isn't there and De'Rons in foul trouble.

3 hours ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

So, his announcement is in about 2 weeks....do we have any idea WHERE it may be?   Didn't his Dad mention doing it in New Albany? As a public event or something? I don't mean for that to sound bad (ego), But to show appreciation for all the support they have felt from the community

I can't remember if Dad said that or someone here said it.

I don't think the place was ever decided. Mr. Langford mentioned the city announcement as a possibility

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

They do have Saben Lee returning who had very similar numbers to Green.  Now who isn't considering the talent already on campus :coffee:

Archived