Romeo Langford

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Mentioning Calumet.   Not that this has anything to do with Darius or Romeo.  But.... Dan Dakich's dad once was the Principal at Calumet.

And thanks for confirming my story.   I may not live in anymore. But when it comes to following basketball in Northwest Indiana.... I do my best to keep up with the times. 

This was Purdue Calumet.  My friend has a good story about receiving a standing ovation when he walked into Mackie Arena.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Interesting information about the Drew/Garland history.  It makes a lot more sense than a top-20 player choosing to play for a school that has been mediocre both recently and historically just because it's in the same city he lives in.

I have no doubt about the connection......but what puzzles me is why Drew to Vandy?  He is/was a rising star in the coaching world that has a name.  Part of me thinks he followed Garland to Nashville.  I dunno.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

I have no doubt about the connection......but what puzzles me is why Drew to Vandy?  He is/was a rising star in the coaching world that has a name.  Part of me thinks he followed Garland to Nashville.  I dunno.

I think I’m in the minority here but people really underestimate Vandy. Nashville is a popular city right now, it’s a good academic school, in a solid conference, and it’s a school that leaves a prime opportunity to make a lasting impression as both coach and player. It’s a good spot for both coach + player.

2 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I think I’m in the minority here but people really underestimate Vandy. Nashville is a popular city right now, it’s a good academic school, in a solid conference, and it’s a school that leaves a prime opportunity to make a lasting impression as both coach and player. It’s a good spot for both coach + player.

Maybe in the minority, but I agree with you.

Just now, rico said:

Maybe in the minority, but I agree with you.

That legend pitch that Drew can sell is a big deal. You all saw the shirt Romeo was wearing. If this was any other 5* I’d say we don’t have much of a chance and initially I didn’t think we did but Romeo could be a bigger legend here than there. Lots of talk about him being much closer to Phinesee than Garland too. The news about Taylor wanting to come but is waiting has to be good news also but there isn’t much to read into there. I think we’re in a good spot here and I’m pretty pessimistic towards IU.

3 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

That legend pitch that Drew can sell is a big deal. You all saw the shirt Romeo was wearing. If this was any other 5* I’d say we don’t have much of a chance and initially I didn’t think we did but Romeo could be a bigger legend here than there. Lots of talk about him being much closer to Phinesee than Garland too. The news about Taylor wanting to come but is waiting has to be good news also but there isn’t much to read into there. I think we’re in a good spot here and I’m pretty pessimistic towards IU.

All we can do is sit back and wait.

4 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I'd agree it's an interesting city and Vanderbilt has a good academic reputation. Where I part with you is that Vanderbilt's basketball (and football for that matter) is not at all good.  Drew did a poor job with last year's team and there's no real compelling evidence that he'll be a lot better this year aside from the fact that his point guard will be more talented but less experienced.  Beyond that, everything is an unknown and Vanderbilt's basketball history doesn't give me a lot of confidence that a huge turnaround is about to happen in Vanderbilt's basketball program.

Frankly, as spotty as Alford's record at UCLA is, it (and the city) is still more compelling than Vanderbilt.

6 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

The legend pitch at IU is absolutely huge.  That shirt actually made me feel better about IU's chances of landing Romeo.  What kind of legend can you be at Vanderbilt?  "Yay...we won more games than usual and actually had a chance at the tournament!!!"  Based on Drew's job with last year's team, color me skeptical that he can make a huge turnaround with 2-3 talented but inexperienced players.  He just doesn't appear to have much in the way of complementary pieces and experience.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd agree it's an interesting city and Vanderbilt has a good academic reputation. Where I part with you is that Vanderbilt's basketball (and football for that matter) is not at all good.  Drew did a poor job with last year's team and there's no real compelling evidence that he'll be a lot better this year aside from the fact that his point guard will be more talented but less experienced.  Beyond that, everything is an unknown and Vanderbilt's basketball history doesn't give me a lot of confidence that a huge turnaround is about to happen in Vanderbilt's basketball program.

Frankly, as spotty as Alford's record at UCLA is, it (and the city) is still more compelling than Vanderbilt.

Well I can spin that history argument around right back at you and paint a negative spin on IU  but let’s not go there. I think this generation wants to seperate from past generations and forge their own original paths due to obvious serious issues within our country. I don’t think history and the past factors into decisions as much as people think.

You question Bryce Drew’s coaching record but take a look at the IU prediction thread pre-season....Archie didn’t exactly light it up.

The point here for me is that Vandy isn’t a joke that leaves people flabbergasted. 

Taking all factors I still think it’s IU though.

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The legend pitch at IU is absolutely huge.  That shirt actually made me feel better about IU's chances of landing Romeo.  What kind of legend can you be at Vanderbilt?  "Yay...we won more games than usual and actually had a chance at the tournament!!!"  Based on Drew's job with last year's team, color me skeptical that he can make a huge turnaround with 2-3 talented but inexperienced players.  He just doesn't appear to have much in the way of complementary pieces and experience.

That shirt made me feel much more optimistic as well. You could spin that towards Vandy because I think those McDonalds kids were saying that’s been the pitch from Garland and Shittu toward Montgomery (or whoever that was) + Romeo but the irony for them is romeo has more to gain here.

I’d take CAM over Drew all day but the fact remains that Drew has the better record at selling himself to nba talent. 

12 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

That shirt made me feel much more optimistic as well. You could spin that towards Vandy because I think those McDonalds kids were saying that’s been the pitch from Garland and Shittu toward Montgomery (or whoever that was) + Romeo but the irony for them is romeo has more to gain here.

I’d take CAM over Drew all day but the fact remains that Drew has the better record at selling himself to nba talent. 

Better record selling himself to NBA talent?  Elaborate.

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Better record selling himself to NBA talent?  Elaborate.

Locked up two 5 stars + might get four. 

Early days of course and CAM might pull in Trace + romeo, and maybe brooks or hurt. As of now we know Drew can do it. I’m not betting at all against Archie here either btw. Has Sean as a reference (maybe that’s not so much of a good thing lol). It’s IU so that has value + he has Schilling. 

6 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Early days of course and CAM might pull in Trace + romeo, and maybe brooks or hurt. As of now we know Drew can do it. I’m not betting at all against Archie here either btw. Has Sean as a reference (maybe that’s not so much of a good thing lol). It’s IU so that has value + he has Schilling. 

It's all Garland.  He got lucky by having a local boy who he has a lengthy relationship with and whose mother works for Vandy.  Garland also has a very active personality and recruited Sittu and Romeo heavily.  Let's see if Drew does it in 2019.

15 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Well I can spin that history argument around right back at you and paint a negative spin on IU  but let’s not go there. I think this generation wants to seperate from past generations and forge their own original paths due to obvious serious issues within our country. I don’t think history and the past factors into decisions as much as people think.

You question Bryce Drew’s coaching record but take a look at the IU prediction thread pre-season....Archie didn’t exactly light it up.

The point here for me is that Vandy isn’t a joke that leaves people flabbergasted. 

Taking all factors I still think it’s IU though.

1. Archie had better success in his first year than Drew did in his second year.  If anything, Drew regressed in his second year with supposedly, more of his players.  Archie's roster was 100% inherited and lacking three players now playing professionally from a team that with the exception of some early season success, didn't do any better than this less talented team.  You could also argue that at least Archie's team was trending the right direction.
  2. IU showed measurable improvement during the year and finished ahead of projections. Vanderbilt was exactly the the opposite, projected at 8-10 but finishing at 6-12 just ahead of last place Ole Miss.  Our pre-season fan predictions were...ahem...optimistic to say the least.  You need to focus on IU's outside 3rd party predictions which were much more pessimistic and ultimately outperformed by a comfortable measure.  Nobody had IU finishing 6th in the conference.
  3. As far as history goes, at least IU has some history.  Maybe that's not important to these players as you suggest, but if it's a factor at all, IU wins that battle by a large margin.
  4. ...and in selling himself to NBA talent, I'd call it pretty early in deciding who that is an advantage for.  Sure, at the moment, you have to give Drew an edge with 2 McDAA's coming to campus next fall.  However, just strictly looking at the schools, IU would win that battle as well.  With the incoming class being Archie's first at a power 5 school, There's really no track record good or bad established for Archie the coach drawing/developing NBA talent.  Frankly, if NBA development is a deciding factor, CTC at Georgia ought to beat the pants off coach Drew. I expect Archie will eventually prove his ability to develop NBA talent at IU as well.  What Drew has proved thus far is that he can draw NBA-level talent to campus.  If he wants to sustain that, he's going to have to show considerably better development coaching than what he has thus far at Vanderbilt.

In the end, I think Archie is a better coach at a school with a much better basketball environment (fanbase, history, facilities and supporting cast). Can Archie effectively sell that to recruits?  Only time will tell but at least in regard to Vanderbilt, setting this season aside, I don't expect to lose many recruiting battles to Vanderbilt unless Drew significantly outperforms his recent history and my expectations.

26 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:
  1. Archie had better success in his first year than Drew did in his second year.  If anything, Drew regressed in his second year with supposedly, more of his players.  Archie's roster was 100% inherited and lacking three players now playing professionally from a team that with the exception of some early season success, didn't do any better than this less talented team.  You could also argue that at least Archie's team was trending the right direction.
  2. IU showed measurable improvement during the year and finished ahead of projections. Vanderbilt was exactly the the opposite, projected at 8-10 but finishing at 6-12 just ahead of last place Ole Miss.  Our pre-season fan predictions were...ahem...optimistic to say the least.  You need to focus on IU's outside 3rd party predictions which were much more pessimistic and ultimately outperformed by a comfortable measure.  Nobody had IU finishing 6th in the conference.
  3. As far as history goes, at least IU has some history.  Maybe that's not important to these players as you suggest, but if it's a factor at all, IU wins that battle by a large margin.
  4. ...and in selling himself to NBA talent, I'd call it pretty early in deciding who that is an advantage for.  Sure, at the moment, you have to give Drew an edge with 2 McDAA's coming to campus next fall.  However, just strictly looking at the schools, IU would win that battle as well.  With the incoming class being Archie's first at a power 5 school, There's really no track record good or bad established for Archie the coach drawing/developing NBA talent.  Frankly, if NBA development is a deciding factor, CTC at Georgia ought to beat the pants off coach Drew. I expect Archie will eventually prove his ability to develop NBA talent at IU as well.  What Drew has proved thus far is that he can draw NBA-level talent to campus.  If he wants to sustain that, he's going to have to show considerably better development coaching than what he has thus far at Vanderbilt.

In the end, I think Archie is a better coach at a school with a much better basketball environment (fanbase, history, facilities and supporting cast). Can Archie effectively sell that to recruits?  Only time will tell but at least in regard to Vanderbilt, setting this season aside, I don't expect to lose many recruiting battles to Vanderbilt unless Drew significantly outperforms his recent history and my expectations.

Hey, that’s a great post pal. Reading it back it looks like something I’d have written myself. I think we’d get along well in real life with some good conversations being had. 

I’m not here to stir the pot. I’m simply here making a few points about how things might looks from the other side which also happens to make sense to me.

Good time to halt this discussion because if I countered you it would start getting off topic and I’d have to argue things for the Sake or arguing and what’s the point?

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

I thought that I read somewhere that E.J. Montgomery has Vandy listed, but very unlikely that he attends there. Maybe it was the McDonald’s game, but someone named off five destinations that he seems to favor, even though he’s listed eleven.

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

I believe when it’s all said and done, if Romeo does indeed pick Indiana... that Garland will regret choosing to commit early and likely regret choosing Vandy ultimately.

I felt the same way. Romeo was quoted in a recent article saying some players who committed early to certain colleges had texted him and were second guessing their decisions. I believe they had wished they could have waited as long as Romeo has. It would be interesting to know who those players were.

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

Hey, that’s a great post pal. Reading it back it looks like something I’d have written myself. I think we’d get along well in real life with some good conversations being had. 

I’m not here to stir the pot. I’m simply here making a few points about how things might looks from the other side which also happens to make sense to me.

Good time to halt this discussion because if I countered you it would start getting off topic and I’d have to argue things for the Sake or arguing and what’s the point?

Hey, I get the devil's advocate stuff and I agree...really enjoy the conversations here.  You're trying to counter the IU bias and that's not a bad thing.

I will tell you though...the more I reflect on Vandy's lack of accomplishments and all other facts relating to this recruiting battle, the more certain I am that he hometown school makes a lot more sense than Vandy for this recruit. Wouldn't IU be fun to watch if RobPhin outperformed Darius this next season?  I actually think it's possible especially if Romeo joins him. Good players make other good players even better and I think RobPhin is better than advertised.

35 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Hey, I get the devil's advocate stuff and I agree...really enjoy the conversations here.  You're trying to counter the IU bias and that's not a bad thing.

I will tell you though...the more I reflect on Vandy's lack of accomplishments and all other facts relating to this recruiting battle, the more certain I am that he hometown school makes a lot more sense than Vandy for this recruit. Wouldn't IU be fun to watch if RobPhin outperformed Darius this next season?  I actually think it's possible especially if Romeo joins him. Good players make other good players even better and I think RobPhin is better than advertised.

This has been a fun back and forth and I’m  really appreciative that you acknowledged what I was going for. 

I try not to work in absolutes and instead try to think in terms more of different possible outcomes with the purpose being guessing the most probable/accurate one. It’s fun but exhausting trying to figure that out.

I’m right there with you in the reflection thing. I’ve argued some potential pro vandy angles but the overall finish definitely points to IU more times than not for me.

Archived