Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this article from today's Louisville Courier-Journal: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/recruiting/2018/04/02/romeo-langford-kentucky-basketball-john-calipari-unc-recruiting/468987002/

Not much really new, but I find the comment by his Dad at the end of the article interesting. Makes me wonder which 3 schools he & his wife were pulling for. 

23 minutes ago, IUredhead said:

Found this article from today's Louisville Courier-Journal: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/recruiting/2018/04/02/romeo-langford-kentucky-basketball-john-calipari-unc-recruiting/468987002/

Not much really new, but I find the comment by his Dad at the end of the article interesting. Makes me wonder which 3 schools he & his wife were pulling for. 

Louisville, Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA were in the top 7 but not top 3. They made the list after Romeo cut it to 7, so it was 3 of those 4. Tim gave away that he had North Carolina in his list in the article as well. I find it interesting that Romeo picked 3 not on either of their lists. If that's the way the final 3 plays out, I hope dad wants KU and mom wants Vandy, so that Romeo chooses IU!

5 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Louisville, Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA were in the top 7 but not top 3. They made the list after Romeo cut it to 7, so it was 3 of those 4. Tim gave away that he had North Carolina in his list in the article as well. I find it interesting that Romeo picked 3 not on either of their lists. If that's the way the final 3 plays out, I hope dad wants KU and mom wants Vandy, so that Romeo chooses IU!

That comment doesn't clearly state to me that all 3 of Mom and Dad's teams didn't make the list, or if Mom and Dad's lists of 3 didn't make up the same top 3 Romeo has on his list. 

The article states the lists were made when there were still 7 teams in the mix, so they could have been cut before Pitino was fired from Louisville and Romeo didn't eliminate them or announce his list until after the firing.

I don't know.

56 minutes ago, IUredhead said:

IU could have been 1 of the 3, just not all 3 of his schools made the final list.

59 minutes ago, IUredhead said:

So much on the theory that his parents are wanting IU with the sentence about their final 3 did not make the list

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So much on the theory that his parents are wanting IU with the sentence about their final 3 did not make the list

See, that's not how I took that at all. I don't think his Dad was meaning a specific 3 schoolsn just that it wasn't his choice or his wifes choice.....it was Romeo's choice and Romeo was going to be the one to make the decision. 

I took it to mean his final set of 3 didn't MATCH either of their final 3...as a set.

I guess it depends when 'the 3' were picked..UL was out, KY was out, both not just in the mind of Romeo, i wouldn't think mom or dad would pick one of those two. That only leaves UNC and UCLA...if i'm thinking correctly about the timing.    Not that any of this matters.

I think after tonight final passes, we see if the FBI has any looming bombshells to toss out at anyone, if nothing stirs the pot, i'm guessing 2 weeks for announcement.

So, if we say the announcement bar is set at 3 weeks, I'm taking the under. no reason, just my guess.

3 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

See, that's not how I took that at all. I don't think his Dad was meaning a specific 3 schoolsn just that it wasn't his choice or his wifes choice.....it was Romeo's choice and Romeo was going to be the one to make the decision. 

I read it as it meant that Romeo's final 3 was not what the mother and fathers final 3 were.

1 hour ago, IUredhead said:

I think that last paragraph is misconstrued. I think what he meant was, it isn't his or his wife's final 3. It's all Romeo's decision. I don't think he literally meant that he and his wife each had their 3 schools.

Jayhawk chiming in here. First off, I have great respect for the IU program. Trust me, I knew who Everett Dean and Branch McCracken were in my teens (I'm almost 60) and have followed Indiana basketball since the Knight years. As a high school Junior I saw the 74-75 Indiana beat KU in Allen Fieldhouse, and mostly through Sports Illustrated in the '70's and online now read a lot about your program. Having just typed all that, I think you are discounting the chances KU has to get Langford. In my mind it's going to come down to IU and KU. I certainly have no inside info., and realize that the lure of the in-state program might be too hard to overcome, but I would not be surprised to see him pick the Jayhawks. I know he really likes and gets along well with the three incoming McDonald's freshman for KU. I might be a homer and slightly delusional, but don't sleep on the Hawks. 

BTW, this is a great board. Lots of really great civil discussions. Very refreshing. 

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What I have heard in New Albany is that Tim Langford wants him to go to IU.  This was a few months ago when I heard this.  

1 minute ago, Dalman said:

Jayhawk chiming in here. First off, I have great respect for the IU program. Trust me, I knew who Everett Dean and Branch McCracken were in my teens (I'm almost 60) and have followed Indiana basketball since the Knight years. As a high school Junior I saw the 74-75 Indiana beat KU in Allen Fieldhouse, and mostly through Sports Illustrated in the '70's and online now read a lot about your program. Having just typed all that, I think you are discounting the chances KU has to get Langford. In my mind it's going to come down to IU and KU. I certainly have no inside info., and realize that the lure of the in-state program might be too hard to overcome, but I would not be surprised to see him pick the Jayhawks. I know he really likes and gets along well with the three incoming McDonald's freshman for KU. I might be a homer and slightly delusional, but don't sleep on the Hawks. 

BTW, this is a great board. Lots of really great civil discussions. Very refreshing. 

Welcome, I look forward to your insight.  Don't be a stranger.

"My three didn't make it," Tim said. "My wife's three didn't make it. Romeo's three made it. So we made sure it's going to be his decision. And the three schools that he has are three great universities, any way you want to put it." 

Instead of a list comparison, I read this as his father saying Romeo made his own list without any influence from us.

1 minute ago, Dalman said:

Thanks for the compliment.  And with a post like the one you just made, just know you will always be welcome here.

I truly miss the KU/Colorado games in Boulder.  About the only time Coors Event Center was ever filled was when your Jayhawks filled the place. 

"Welcome, I look forward to your insight.  Don't be a stranger."

Thanks! I just need to remember my place and that this is an Indiana board.  BTW, my great-grandfather fought with the 68th Indiana Regiment in the Civil War. I have some Indiana ties. Always thought that was pretty cool. 

5 minutes ago, Dalman said:

Thanks! I just need to remember my place and that this is an Indiana board.  BTW, my great-grandfather fought with the 68th Indiana Regiment in the Civil War. I have some Indiana ties. Always thought that was pretty cool. 

That is cool.  Thanks for sharing. One thing we like to do on Hoosier Sports Nation is to get to know our members on a personal level, not just on a posting level.

By the way, contrary to popular opinion, in terms of my age, among many of our younger members..... The time your great-grandfather fought in the Civil War.... was even before my time.  LOL

4 minutes ago, Dalman said:

Great first post, Dalman. Love this board. 

Believe it or not, so did mine! Battle of Chickamauga? 

"Believe it or not, so did mine! Battle of Chickamauga?" He did! I just looked up the 68th Regiment service record and he was part of that. I have the paperwork from the U.S. government that was sent to my great-grandmother when he passed away in 1919 which notified her that she would begin getting a $25.00 a month pension as a Civil War widow. An amount that was increased to $30.00 per month one year later. Something that no doubt made her life easier.

One more side note, when the documentary on the undefeated 1976 Indiana team came out I talked to a couple of my buddies about it. Both my age. That was such an unreal team. Kind of like the great UCLA Wooden teams of the late '60's and early 70's, you just had to pay attention to them. I remembered all those guys. I loved watching it. Really sad that Bobby Knight has so much trouble being a decent human being in dealing with his ill will towards IU. It just diminishes him when he should be reveling in what he accomplished at at the school. Man, I don't get it. 

34 minutes ago, Dalman said:

I have always said that KU is our main competition for Romeo and not Vandy.  I guess it depends on what Newman and Vick does. If they both stay and with you guys already have two 5 star guards Romeo might not want to go there.

2 hours ago, IUredhead said:

I read some of the replies to that story. Needless to say BBN is not fans of the Langfords. 

"I guess it depends on what Newman and Vick does. If they both stay and with you guys already have two 5 star guards Romeo might not want to go there.

Newman and Vick are both gone. Newman's plan was always just to play one year after his redshirt, and Vick, from what I can glean, is being encouraged to leave. Agree with you, with those two back there is no room, and no way Romeo Langford would consider KU.  

Archived