Romeo Langford

2 hours ago, IUredhead said:

Found this article from today's Louisville Courier-Journal: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/recruiting/2018/04/02/romeo-langford-kentucky-basketball-john-calipari-unc-recruiting/468987002/

Not much really new, but I find the comment by his Dad at the end of the article interesting. Makes me wonder which 3 schools he & his wife were pulling for. 

Absolutely love seeing Calipari dissed like that.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Dalman said:

Jayhawk chiming in here. First off, I have great respect for the IU program. Trust me, I knew who Everett Dean and Branch McCracken were in my teens (I'm almost 60) and have followed Indiana basketball since the Knight years. As a high school Junior I saw the 74-75 Indiana beat KU in Allen Fieldhouse, and mostly through Sports Illustrated in the '70's and online now read a lot about your program. Having just typed all that, I think you are discounting the chances KU has to get Langford. In my mind it's going to come down to IU and KU. I certainly have no inside info., and realize that the lure of the in-state program might be too hard to overcome, but I would not be surprised to see him pick the Jayhawks. I know he really likes and gets along well with the three incoming McDonald's freshman for KU. I might be a homer and slightly delusional, but don't sleep on the Hawks. 

BTW, this is a great board. Lots of really great civil discussions. Very refreshing. 

I’ve said from the time that Romeo trimmed his list down to 3 schools that IU and Kansas were the only schools that make sense. I couldn’t imagine him picking Vandy, but then again, I’ve been wrong before and I’m sure that I’ll be wrong again.

Anyway, welcome aboard!! Feel free to weigh in on things that aren’t Jayhawk related, too. It’s always nice to have an outside perspective.

52 minutes ago, Dalman said:

Jayhawk chiming in here. First off, I have great respect for the IU program. Trust me, I knew who Everett Dean and Branch McCracken were in my teens (I'm almost 60) and have followed Indiana basketball since the Knight years. As a high school Junior I saw the 74-75 Indiana beat KU in Allen Fieldhouse, and mostly through Sports Illustrated in the '70's and online now read a lot about your program. Having just typed all that, I think you are discounting the chances KU has to get Langford. In my mind it's going to come down to IU and KU. I certainly have no inside info., and realize that the lure of the in-state program might be too hard to overcome, but I would not be surprised to see him pick the Jayhawks. I know he really likes and gets along well with the three incoming McDonald's freshman for KU. I might be a homer and slightly delusional, but don't sleep on the Hawks. 

BTW, this is a great board. Lots of really great civil discussions. Very refreshing. 

I'd completely understand & respect if Romeo would want to go to KU. It's hard to pass up playing for a passionate basketball school with a solid roster and a coach whose name and reputation speaks for itself. Objectively speaking, I think KU would be the school to beat. I think that if there weren't so many rumors flying around with his recruitment, I'd believe that most people would just assume that Romeo would end up at Kansas.

I think I can speak for a lot of IU fans in saying that him going to Vandy just doesn't make any sense. What exactly does Vandy offer that's better than KU? Bill Self is a better coach, KU has a better roster & incoming recruiting class, Allen Fieldhouse is arguably the best homecourt advantage in all of college basketball (outside of Assembly Hall, obviously lol), they have better facilities, and Bill Self has proven he can get guys to the NBA. 

Him not wanting to be the hometown hero or at least playing at an elite basketball school would be a big head scratcher. 

8 minutes ago, Dalman said:

I agree. I totally get IU or KU, but Vandy is a head scratcher for me if he goes there. 

Same here.  Both programs have advantages over the other and I don't think anyone could question why Romeo would want to play for a perennial contender.  The Vanderbilt thing seems to offer nothing but the opportunity to play with one of his friends.

7 minutes ago, Dalman said:

I agree. I totally get IU or KU, but Vandy is a head scratcher for me if he goes there. 

Welcome.  How fortunate you found this IU board.  Everyone here loves to talk bball and does so with respect.  Now, there are some other IU boards that are not so civil.  With all that said, I REALLY hope RL picks IU, but would not be surprised if he selects Kansas.

2 hours ago, IUaic said:

That comment doesn't clearly state to me that all 3 of Mom and Dad's teams didn't make the list, or if Mom and Dad's lists of 3 didn't make up the same top 3 Romeo has on his list. 

The article states the lists were made when there were still 7 teams in the mix, so they could have been cut before Pitino was fired from Louisville and Romeo didn't eliminate them or announce his list until after the firing.

I don't know.

I see what you're saying. My three didn't make it can be taken both ways. My interpretation is that he means all 3, but I guess it could mean that my 3 didn't make it but 1 or 2 of them did. You're right that it doesn't clearly state that all 3 didn't make it, but I'd say it heavily implies it.

After his list was cut to seven schools — Indiana, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA — Romeo, Tim and Sabrina each wrote down a top three. 

Tim admits his list included North Carolina.

"My three didn't make it," Tim said. "My wife's three didn't make it. Romeo's three made it. So we made sure it's going to be his decision. And the three schools that he has are three great universities, any way you want to put it." 

21 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

I think I’m in the minority here but people really underestimate Vandy. Nashville is a popular city right now, it’s a good academic school, in a solid conference, and it’s a school that leaves a prime opportunity to make a lasting impression as both coach and player. It’s a good spot for both coach + player.

Nashville is one of the hottest cities in the US right now.

I know its a destination for people fleeing IL.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/04/02/nashville-condos-penthouse-downtown/463938002/

16 minutes ago, Tru123dt said:

What is the probability that Romeo pick three schools that were not on either his father's or mother's list?  Was the FBI scandel at Louisville public knowledge yet?

I think everyone is misunderstanding the quote....there's absolutely zero chase Tim and his wife didn't have a single one of Romeo's top 3 in their respective top 3's. What he's saying is no one's top 3 was exactly the same as another. 

As for Nashville being an amazing city, I've lived there and it absolutely is but it has little/nothing to offer an 18-20 year old kid. If Romeo is as big of a home body as everyone says, I have to feel as though he'd prefer to be at a school where his parents can visit any time they want and vice versa and it's also much closer to his "gf" at N. Kentucky....in the end will any of that matter? I have no idea but speculating Romeo would go to go to Vandy because of the bright lights on Broadway and the honky tonks that line the street along with the amazing restaurants college kids can't afford, I think is a bit naive. If I'm Romeo Bloomington and Lawrence have much more to offer than Nashville. 

1 hour ago, Tru123dt said:

Well, Everyone here knows that Romeo is a snot nosed kid.  (Not).

What everyone here knows, is all through this recruitment, Tim and Romeo have said it comes down to evaluating the coaches, and how they relate to their players.

Well, that thread just proves one thing.  Kentucky fans, cannot......handle the truth!

As far as Romeo is concerned, Calipari is not a coach they want Romeo playing for. Plain and simple. 

32 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Who is coach SS? Someone that has an inside scoop or what?

Remember Birdman from John Decker's Hoosier Nation ?  An AAU coach, at the time. Now coaching high school basketball in Indianapolis.  Who did not speak a lot.  But when he did... I told everyone that : "When Birdman speaks, everyone needs to listen.

In this instance.... CoachSS. Who happens to be a long time great friend of mine.... the same admonition applies, as it did with Birdman.  "When CoachSS speaks, everyone needs to listen. "

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Are you saying he will announce earlier than expected or just saying it is only 3 weeks away when he is suppose to announce.

LOL...don't try to parse it...just take it for what it's worth.  We'll know by the end of April.  For me that's good enough!

Archived