Romeo Langford

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

If a decision has already been made, there’s nothing wrong with the media going public with what they know, as long as they’re 100% sure it’s accurate.

Therein lies the problem. This isn't media reporting on something that has already happened, like a weather event or car accident. The fact is that no one - insiders, outsiders, and everyone in between can't be 100% sure about until a kid sits down at a press conference and puts the hat on. It's all speculation until it's not. This is why I hate those stupid Crystal Ball predictions. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Therein lies the problem. This isn't media reporting on something that has already happened, like a weather event or car accident. The fact is that no one - insiders, outsiders, and everyone in between can't be 100% sure about until a kid sits down at a press conference and puts the hat on. It's all speculation until it's not. This is why I hate those stupid Crystal Ball predictions. 

Well we’re kind of jumping the gun here, as I haven’t seen any actual media outlets reporting that Romeo is a done deal to anywhere.  But obviously when Rabjohns reported that Yogi was going to IU, it wasn’t speculation (although I wasn’t following recruiting at that time, so I don’t know the specifics).  As for the crystal ball, I don’t think anyone puts any weight in those.  And they’re specifically labeled “predictions,” so I don’t see the problem.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Well we’re kind of jumping the gun here, as I haven’t seen any actual media outlets reporting that Romeo is a done deal to anywhere.  But obviously when Rabjohns reported that Yogi was going to IU, it wasn’t speculation (although I wasn’t following recruiting at that time, so I don’t know the specifics).  As for the crystal ball, I don’t think anyone puts any weight in those.  And they’re specifically labeled “predictions,” so I don’t see the problem.

You're spot on. The notion that these guys shouldn't do their job because Romeo wants to take his time to announce after he has figured out where he is going is silly. There is no doubt the right thing to do, journalistically speaking, is to report the story if they can confirm the veracity of it. 

7 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Your frustration comes from looking at it the wrong way. You're looking for absolutes in a system where that's impossible. The system is very effective and I'm not sure how you could even come up with a better one. Of course you tweak and constantly improve it but it does its job as well as you can expect. The best way to look at it is in a zen / in the moment type of way. It could change tomorrow...it could change an hour before the announcement...as it should when new info / data becomes available.

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You're spot on. The notion that these guys shouldn't do their job because Romeo wants to take his time to announce after he has figured out where he is going is silly. There is no doubt the right thing to do, journalistically speaking, is to report the story if they can confirm the veracity of it. 

Yep, the easy way to fix that problem is to just make the announcement after you’ve made the decision.  And the notion of Romeo, of all recruits, “having his thunder stolen” is hilarious to me.  I think there’s been more than enough thunder surrounding his recruitment.

6 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Your frustration comes from looking at it the wrong way. You're looking for absolutes in a system where that's impossible. The system is very effective and I'm not sure how you could even come up with a better one. Of course you tweak and constantly improve it but it does its job as well as you can expect. The best way to look at it is in a zen / in the moment type of way. It could change tomorrow...it could change an hour before the announcement...as it should when new info / data becomes available.

We, unfortunately, live in a world where changing your opinion when new data comes to light is ridiculed instead of celebrated. 

I'm a believer we should constantly be evaluating what we think based on information, not seeking out information that validates our beliefs. 

1 hour ago, IUB74 said:

my fellow old region rat, Mile.

Region Rat's Unite !  Sadly, due to some behind the scenes, experiences.... I will be taking a step back from posting on my beloved Hoosier Sports Nation. In order to allow my fellow mods ,whom I respect, to take the lead from now on.  I am not going away... just stepping back for awhile. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Region Rat's Unite !  Sadly, due to some behind the scenes, experiences.... I will be taking a step back from posting on my beloved Hoosier Sports Nation. In order to allow my fellow mods ,whom I respect, to take the lead from now on.  I am not going away... just stepping back for awhile. 

I don't like the sound of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yep, the easy way to fix that problem is to just make the announcement after you’ve made the decision.  And the notion of Romeo, of all recruits, “having his thunder stolen” is hilarious to me.  I think there’s been more than enough thunder surrounding his recruitment.

Yea, agree with this. Not sure I can relate to playing the empathy card for Romeo as it relates to a possible leaked announcement. It's up to him who he says what he is thinking to, so he really does control his destiny on this. 

And plus, to your point Romeo is likely the most popular kid at his school who's likely gonna play professional basketball for a living, traveling the world with loads of money...something he definitely shouldn't be ashamed of either.

By all means, maximum your talent though and by all accounts he seems like a good kid too.

I'm fine with crystal ball predictions.  They're just for entertainment anyway. Any speculation is just that, speculation.  I think that's fine.

On announcing definitively (not speculating) in front of the kids announcement, I disagree with the urge to scoop a kid on his media day.  Again, we are the adults in the room here.  Are we so pathetic that we can't wait an extra hour or two to have a kid make his own announcement?  How can you be sure you're right anyway?  Short of getting it straight from the kid's mouth or seeing his signed paper (two instances where I would allow it's OK to report), there's no guarantee you're right and as a "professional" journalist, you should frankly have enough respect to let the kid have his day.  I think it's sad, and even selfish to jump in front of a kid's announcement for a few extra clicks.

Frankly, an announcement is a whole lot more fun when there's some genuine mystery in the room.  I remember how electric the lead-up to the Zeller announcement was.  Sure, there was a lot of speculation in the air and a pro-IU vibe, but there was enough uncertainty to make for a great atmosphere leading up to the announcement.  How much fun is it when the answer is already known?  I swear, we sound like a bunch of kids that peeked at their gifts before Christmas and then pretended to be surprised.

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sorry to hear. Always look forward to your input and kindness.  Hope everything is ok. Best wishes.

Btw, I appreciate all that you and others with sources have shared.  Not only does it not upset me that you don't share what you feel is appropriate to keep private,  it just makes me respect you more.  We all share a passion for Indiana basketball.  Glad to share this passion with you.

44 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We, unfortunately, live in a world where changing your opinion when new data comes to light is ridiculed instead of celebrated. 

I'm a believer we should constantly be evaluating what we think based on information, not seeking out information that validates our beliefs. 

It’s not that people change their minds. The whole idea was a novelty at its inception...something that was fun. It can only remain fun and entertaining if people are indeed updated their choices frequently. 

Regarding Romeo, most the CB picks date back to November. Nobody is changing their picks given new information. They will only update their picks once a decision is leaked and they are 99% certain of siad decision.  What’s the fun in that?

Its like waking up on a beautiful morning and predicting the weather will be nice before noon. The point is that anybody can do that. You don’t need to be a ‘recruiting expert’....you pretty much just need a Twitter account. 

14 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Mile Ole Buddy I hope all is well and you are just taking a break for some good reasons.  Either way you’ll be in my prayers.  Thanks for all you do on here and what you did on the past sites.  Much love brother! 🙏

I second this. 

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Mile Ole Buddy I hope all is well and you are just taking a break for some good reasons.  Either way you’ll be in my prayers.  Thanks for all you do on here and what you did on the past sites.  Much love brother! 🙏

Amen x 1,000... To me Mile is like a friend I never had the chance to meet

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

We are united, my friend.  Wishing only the best for you!

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Really wish all is well with you. Started from the old scout site that I joined 10 years ago, I am one of many who followed you since then. You've been a wonderful friend and a big brother in our community, and I've always appreciated your kindness. Wish you the best of luck in everything, and hope to see you here soon and often.

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I'm a big fan of yours mile. You're a very classy guy and you've earned my respect. I shared some of your info on Romeo to a friend the other day and I described you as one of the nicest / most genuine people that I've ever met online. 

Archived