Romeo Langford

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

It seemed to me his one main argument for why it wouldn't be IU was that if it was he would have declared long ago. I have felt for quite awhile the reason Romeo always planned on waiting, was because of the silly season going on now, made even worse with these FBI investigations. DmB's premise that it meant IU didn't have a chance was seriously flawed! Just my opinion.

Frankly, Romeo has been very wise to wait.  In the interim, he's:

1. Seen the coach at Louisville fired and the program severely scorched. (and it ain't over yet.)
  2. Seen how Roy Williams ran practice (and didn't like it.)
  3. Witnessed Calipari run out of ideas in the huddle. (that still cracks me up)
  4. Seen Vanderbilt finish almost last in the SEC and have a member of their prized incoming class go down with a serious injury.
  5. Played with a selfish point guard who took a contested three with the game on the line after not hitting the broad side of the barn the whole game. While Romeo was wide open.
  6. Watched an entire season of the new coach at IU and got to know him a lot better.
  7. ...and now sees Kansas in the crosshairs of an FBI probe that will undoubtedly leave a mark on a storied program.

I'm sure when Romeo sits down to finalize his decision with his folks, he will be very thankful that he had the opportunity to learn all of these things before choosing a college.  Can't say I blame him.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the article from CBS. One of the players who received money is still on the team and played this year. That would scare me if I was playing there. Of course Kansas says the staff had nothing to do with it. I see nothing, I hear nothing. Link below:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-investigation-kansas-nc-state-ensnared-in-new-charges-filed-by-prosecutors/

"Gatto is also alleged to have funneled $90,000 to the family of a player to sign with the Jayhawks and at least $20,000 to a player believed to be Silvio De Sousa, who signed with Kansas in November 2017 and played 20 games for KU as a freshman this past season."

I was just thinking about these schools and the press releases, most notably NC St. and Kansas tonight, both saying the staff and coaches knew nothing about this. If I am right, it does not matter since after Pitino and his strippers and hookers recruitment process, the NCAA changed their bylaws and said even if the coach did not know what was going on he was still responsible. Now this is the FBI investigation, but at some point in time, NCAA sanctions will also come. Of course, I think the coaches will be gone before the NCAA gets to them.

One person I do feel bad for is the coach from Wilmington, who took NC St.'s coaching vacancy this year. He did a really good job with Gottlieb's recruits, and was a hot young name. If he was clean, and coming from a smaller college I will assume so, it is ashame to go to a school and get involved in all of this.

I’m a high school coach. I know college is different, and I don’t always know what my players are doing or up to. But we know everything going on within our program. I’m sure college isn’t a ton different, just saying. When it’s all said and done, Izzo will be in deep doodoo. Self? Who knows, but there’s absolutely no way, no way he didn’t know.  He’s aware of everything program related, I’d almost bet the farm! 

2 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I’m a high school coach. I know college is different, and I don’t always know what my players are doing or up to. But we know everything going on within our program. I’m sure college isn’t a ton different, just saying. When it’s all said and done, Izzo will be in deep doodoo. Self? Who knows, but there’s absolutely no way, no way he didn’t know.  He’s aware of everything program related, I’d almost bet the farm! 

The thing is.. and this isn't mentioned enough... it almost looks worse if he DIDNT know. I mean seriously, Pitino played dumb with the hookers, and I truly thought he looked worse because he showed the absolute lack of control he had over his program. Appears Self might be in the same boat. Not a good look either way. 

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The thing is.. and this isn't mentioned enough... it almost looks worse if he DIDNT know. I mean seriously, Pitino played dumb with the hookers, and I truly thought he looked worse because he showed the absolute lack of control he had over his program. Appears Self might be in the same boat. Not a good look either way. 

This is exactly correct. If you didn’t know, then what control do you have? I’m not naive and think my guys are perfect, but wow, assistants and other personnel should be held accountable! Anywho, the floodgates are opening in Bloom, potentially anyway. 

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I am amused by Pitino claiming it is impossible to know everything while also bragging about knowing nearly everything.

"Even Rick Pitino, who told boosters shortly before the Louisville basketball program's prostitution scandal broke in 2015: "If one of my players has a beer in Louisville, I know about it." "

Having a beer in the biggest city in the state: I'll find out. Strippers and hookers on campus: how could I know?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/colleges/college-coaches-know-everything-that-goes-on-in-their-programs-even-rick-pitino/2017/09/27/07591920-a3a2-11e7-ade1-76d061d56efa_story.html

12 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Glad someone posted this. Funny how the other writers also realize that Romeo wouldn't be "the guy" at either Vandy or KU.

Side note, how poorly timed is this article to have the KU writer claim, "Kansas fans always think they have a shot because Bill Self has pulled some rabbits out of his hat in the spring. (Andrew Wiggins, for instance.)" I'm sure he's regretting saying that tonight lol

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

I am amused by Pitino claiming it is impossible to know everything while also bragging about knowing nearly everything.

"Even Rick Pitino, who told boosters shortly before the Louisville basketball program's prostitution scandal broke in 2015: "If one of my players has a beer in Louisville, I know about it." "

Having a beer in the biggest city in the state: I'll find out. Strippers and hookers on campus: how could I know?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/colleges/college-coaches-know-everything-that-goes-on-in-their-programs-even-rick-pitino/2017/09/27/07591920-a3a2-11e7-ade1-76d061d56efa_story.html

Can't make this stuff up lol...it is refreshing to see justice served down every now and again even if many slip through the cracks (college bball or otherwise)

7 hours ago, Max said:

So if Kansas is dirty like this, they probably made similar advances towards the Langfords. I know this is me stretching but, it’s quite an easy one to make. 

P.S. great day to be a hoosier!!!!!

Not necessarily. These schools don't just offer bags of cash to every recruit like carnival barkers selling peanuts. Not only would that be extremely costly at the current going rate it would also be extremely dangerous to be that loose with cash offers. Instead, by the time a player is old enough to commit the schools and shoe companies know exactly which players are looking for cash and which ones would be open to offers. The parents, handlers, hangers on  and/or the players themselves frequently make their interest known I'm sure and others can be targeted for offers based on their personal situations. 

11 hours ago, Iuprof said:

I was just thinking about these schools and the press releases, most notably NC St. and Kansas tonight, both saying the staff and coaches knew nothing about this. If I am right, it does not matter since after Pitino and his strippers and hookers recruitment process, the NCAA changed their bylaws and said even if the coach did not know what was going on he was still responsible. Now this is the FBI investigation, but at some point in time, NCAA sanctions will also come. Of course, I think the coaches will be gone before the NCAA gets to them.

One person I do feel bad for is the coach from Wilmington, who took NC St.'s coaching vacancy this year. He did a really good job with Gottlieb's recruits, and was a hot young name. If he was clean, and coming from a smaller college I will assume so, it is ashame to go to a school and get involved in all of this.

I'm not throwing him under the bus in any way, or insinuating that he knew of the violations going on at NC State, but coincidentally Keatts (NC State's new coach) also happens to be a former assistant under Pitino.  

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Well, if you call a contest between a thoroughbred and a broken down nag a race...xD

The Vandy fans don't like it when IU fans say negative (true) things about their program, so be prepared to feel some Vandy backlash for your comment. 

Archived